Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Joey decided he doesnt like his crate

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 23rd, 2005, 09:26 PM
Just when you thought Joey was all trained. (well we are still working on things) He has another issue!

Joey came crate trained and would sleep in the crate at night when we went to bed. On the occasion when we had to go out he would go in the crate with no problem and settle down. He goes in there with water, his kong and his stuffies at around 9 oclock is let out at midnight for a walk then put back in for the night. He is let out first thing in the morning to go for a walk. Then back in for another 2 hours until my husband wakes up. He is only in there at night and when we go out never in the day when we are there. Then he is constantly with us. This has been his routine since day one.

Since yesterday he has hated and cried everytime we put him in there.
Last night he cried and cried until I let him out. I had to get some sleep. He slept on the floor outside my door.
My husband put him back in when he got home and he started crying again at 2am, until I let him out. I had to work today so I wasn't prepared to go without sleep. Probably not the smartest thing to do I know but I am a basket case without sleep.

My husband put Joey in the crate a few days ago and took my kids to a movie. Apparently that was the day the issue started when they got back a few hours later Joey was all stressed.

Now I dont mind if Joey doesnt sleep in the crate, but I would like him in there when we go out. Has he developed seperation anxiety all of a sudden is this part of him testing us out, or was he tramatised by the family going out.
We went out before a few days earlier and Greg said he was quite comfortable and wasnt in a big hurry to get out. We were gone about the same amount of time as when my husband took the boys out yesterday.

I should add Joey is almost never alone. We have only gone out maybe 2 times and left him in there for about four hours.

Prin
August 23rd, 2005, 09:29 PM
Does he do anything when he is out? Like does he chew all day, cry, etc?

StaceyB
August 23rd, 2005, 10:04 PM
Joey is losing his control. You have been doing everything right. He does not have the freedom he used to and is trying very hard to make his own decisions. You have hit the three week mark. Stick to the rules, don't answer his calls to get out. Don't say anything, look at him or give any type of attention for this behaviour. You may get frustrated with him but if you ignore this it will correct itself fairly quickly.

Dogs don't tend to take change very well unless it has been done often. It could be something as simple as a visitor to the home or arriving late from work. If this was the first change since he came to your home it may have done it. Who usually puts him in his crate. You may have a couple of sleepless nights. Since he was already crate trained it shouldn't take long to correct but each time he cries and is let out he learns that this works to get his way. How long did he cry before someone let him out.

mona_b
August 23rd, 2005, 10:34 PM
Does he do anything when he is out? Like does he chew all day, cry, etc?

I'm wondering the same thing.

If Joey is not a chewer,or destructive,why not just have him have full access to the house?

I can understand crating when puppies(well not really).I can understand crating if they are very distructive.I just don't understand crating if they are well behaved... :confused:

I never crated,so I guess I will never understand...LOL

StaceyB
August 23rd, 2005, 10:41 PM
I would keep him crated until you have dealt with all of the issues that have appeared since he came to your home. I wouldn't start giving him freedom until he knows, understands and abides by the hiearchy of your home and where his place is.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 23rd, 2005, 10:53 PM
The reason why I dont want Joey to have free run of the house is I dont want him to get into anything, he does actually chew a bit and I have taken things out of his mouth that shouldn't have. I try to keep it all picked up but with kids its not always possible. If he is in the crate when we are out then I dont have to worry he has his own toys, blanket, and water.

At night it would be better for him in the crate to I think. The kids are begging me to let him sleep with them. But with the growling with my son I dont think it is a good idea to leave them alone.

I think crates provide a safe place for a dog to be alone when he wants to. I see Joey going in his crate on his own when he has had enough of us. Hopefully this little period wont be too long. Luckily this is my weekend so I can go without some sleep for a night.

tenderfoot
August 23rd, 2005, 10:57 PM
Stay the course!!! Be strong!!!
This is just a glitch in the system. Something might have occured on movie night and he either had to potty but no one was there to help so he got worried, or perhaps he heard a noise - thought it was you coming home/or got nervous - and when it wasn't you he got impatient and stressed.
Do not let this make your good training go bad. You have been doing a great job - just keep it up.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 23rd, 2005, 10:58 PM
I should just add we are still working on the leave it, which will help with things he tries to take that arent his. But I am not ready to leave him on his own and risk him getting something he shouldnt.

Thanks for all the help on this one. :)

StaceyB
August 23rd, 2005, 11:01 PM
Sounds like you have it under control. It will be tough to ignore him but stick with it and you will have yet another success.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 23rd, 2005, 11:03 PM
This one is going to be hard for me. My kids slept in my bed until they were three because I couldn't bear to let them cry it out. I will be strong, I will be strong .. I will be strong.... I will be.......

So I am not tramatising him by leaving him in his crate to cry it out. I was actually concerned that he was developing seperation anxiety so I thought oh I better let him out or he is going to be messed up psychologically.

Joey will be in his crate tonight and my radio will be on loud. :)

StaceyB
August 23rd, 2005, 11:08 PM
Well I can never get a good nights sleep so if you begin to go nuts I should be here if you need to chat. How long was he crying before you let him out. Cover all your bases before bedtime.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 23rd, 2005, 11:16 PM
Maybe three to five minutes before I let him out. I know I am a pushover. I will probably be adding to this thread tommorow how tired I am. :)

tenderfoot
August 23rd, 2005, 11:18 PM
If you coddle and baby him you will create more problems than you are trying to prevent.
YOU CAN DO THIS!!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 23rd, 2005, 11:22 PM
Yes I know I can do it thanks for the support.

What if there is a thunder storm which there happens to be tonight can I just leave him in the crate as usual?

StaceyB
August 23rd, 2005, 11:29 PM
Yes, if you let him out again it will just reinforce this behaviour.
Look at it this way. You stick with the correction now and maybe have a couple of sleepless nights, though I think he will settle within an hour if there is no responce or you respond and the behaviour gets worse and harder to break. He will know that he just has to cry long enough and you will let him out.

YOU CAN DO IT, YOU CAN DO IT, YOU CAN DO IT.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 24th, 2005, 12:17 PM
I just thought I would report on our night last with Joey in his crate all night from 11pm to 8am I actually slept in a bit.

Joey cried for a whole one minute! before he settled down and went straight to sleep. I am hoping for the same thing again tonight. :)

StaceyB
August 24th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Great news