Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Material dogs don't like to touch?

dogmelissa
August 23rd, 2005, 08:07 PM
I have a little problem. My dog is a dork and refuses to learn the concept of "no" or "off" when it's related to jumping up on the door when he wants to come in. He knows how to "sit" and "wait" and I don't let him come IN unless he does so. However, he continues to jump up on the door and he does this EVERYWHERE we go--including on the screen doors at other's houses.
What I want to know... is there some sort of material that I can stick (tape/glue/nail) to my door frame (where he jumps up) that he won't like putting his feet on and that could help teach him it's NOT ok to jump up on the door?
Preferably something that his feet won't stick to in the winter when he goes out in the snow and they get wet.... I'm thinking maybe a piece of astro-turf or something kinda rough? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Melissa

Prin
August 23rd, 2005, 08:16 PM
I think something sticky would be better, but there must be a better way to train him not to do this.

coppperbelle
August 23rd, 2005, 08:20 PM
Try aluminium foil. Dogs usually hate the feel and the noise.

Have you tried to put a leash on him and when he jumps, say down. This would be my first choice of training methods.

Prin
August 23rd, 2005, 08:27 PM
Or just reinforcing a command like "get down" and when that is consistent, then use it when he jumps on the door.

tenderfoot
August 23rd, 2005, 11:15 PM
Set him up on a leash and stand by a door and ask him if he wants to go in/out. If he starts to jump up give him a correction and tell him "off" then to sit/stay. When he does and then looks into your eyes you can let him in. Repeat any drill several times until his first response is to sit and look at you and then reward that and let him through.
He needs to learn that his forceful behavior is met with pressure and good behavior is rewarded with being let through the door.