Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help with housebreaking older dog

milo'smom
August 23rd, 2005, 07:36 PM
I have recently rescued a 4-5 yr. old Shih Tzu (possible mixed) who was abused by his previous owner and kept outside to fend for himself. He was covered with fleas, ticks, and his fur was so matted that the vet had to cut his hair really short. He also had a broken hip when I got him and stayed at the vet's for about a week where he was allowed to use his cage to go potty. At first, he seemed as though he did not even realize he was peeing or pooping and would just walk along as he did it. In addition, as if that is not enough he is hearing impaired (we think that he was kicked) but has responded well and bonded to quickly with me. Now he seems as though he is using the bathroom purposefully but I have been reticent about using the crate training since he was allowed to toilet in a cage at the vet's. I have just been trying to take him outside on the leash every 3-4 hours, praising and giving him treats when I bring him back inside. Also I have been feeding him first thing in the morning so that hopefully he will go poop the same time each day. We are keeping him on our back porch and he still pees A LOT during the day. He misses the pee pads! If anyone has any suggestions, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Lucky Rescue
August 23rd, 2005, 08:01 PM
First of all, thank you for your kind heart in taking in this poor dog!

If he urinates excessively, it could be a physical problem. If everything checks out, this link may help. It's all about housetraining adult/problem dogs.

Hope it helps!
http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/htgen.htm