Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vaseline Injestion: Hi, I'm new, and hoping someone can help!

Allybean
August 23rd, 2005, 04:20 PM
Hi there,

My name is Stacey and I am a new mom and dog owner. Today, I came home to find that my boxer Ally had raided the baby's diaper bag, opened a tub of vaseline, and ate a some. I know there wasn't alot of vaseline left in the tub before the raid, however she did ingest enough that I am worried. Should I be rushing her to the vet, or will she poop it out on her own?

Thanks for any help you can offer!!!

Stacey, a frantic pet owner

Prin
August 23rd, 2005, 04:24 PM
Does the container say anything about accidental injestion?

mastifflover
August 23rd, 2005, 06:17 PM
I would call but I don't think there is anything toxic in it. Your baby may have the runs from it though. But call your vet and just keep an eye on your baby.

Allybean
August 23rd, 2005, 07:14 PM
Does the container say anything about accidental injestion?
No, it didn't say anything about accidental ingestion, just the ingredients. I have searched everywhere on the internet, and from what I understand, the worst case scenario would be that she experiences diarrhea from petrolatum poisoning. I have put a call into the vet, and will take her tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience with their pet.

Thanks for the responses!

Stacey

.sarah
August 24th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Today at work (a vet) we actually had a person call about her dog eating vaseline. My bosses (vets, of course) said she was fine, and would just have runny, jelly-type diarreah and it may be hard to clean up because of the jelly in the vaseline. I am not sure about the diapers though.

Allybean
August 27th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Today at work (a vet) we actually had a person call about her dog eating vaseline. My bosses (vets, of course) said she was fine, and would just have runny, jelly-type diarreah and it may be hard to clean up because of the jelly in the vaseline. I am not sure about the diapers though.
Thanks so much for the response. She didn't end up with any side effects, which was surprising.... however, I really don't know how much she ate. Luckily, she didn't eat any diapers, just vaseline. I appreciate your response. Thank you so much.
Stacey

.sarah
August 28th, 2005, 12:37 PM
You're welcome :)