Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

problems during dog pregnancy

katandpeace
August 23rd, 2005, 03:12 PM
My friend's Rottweiler is 7-8 weeks pregnant. During the past few days she has started having an eye infection: her eyes are awollen and discharging a little more than normal. Is this part of pregnancy or due to complications with her pregnancy? She has been much more lethargic than usual in the past 2 weeks.

mona_b
August 23rd, 2005, 03:17 PM
Since I am not a breeder nor have I bred dogs,I have no idea if this is normal or due to complications.But I would have your friend take the dog to get checked.Since she is pregnant,she needs to get checked anyway,if she hasn't already.

Prin
August 23rd, 2005, 03:20 PM
Yes she should go to the vet. :) So much can go wrong during pregnancy. :eek:

Beaglemom
August 23rd, 2005, 04:02 PM
She should be seen by a vet if she hasn't already. This infection should be seen by a vet asap. Seeing as she is 7-8 weeks into her pregnancy, she is very close to her due date.

When a dog is pregnant, it is normal for their behaviour to change. Dogs do become more lazy. If she hasn't already, she will very soon start nesting as well. Make sure that her birthing area is free from drafts, comfortable for the mother and litter and very roomy so as the mother has room to lie down and nurse her pups without hurting them. Also make sure that the area is easily accessible for the mother, but not easy for the pups to fall out and hurt themselves. Also, make sure that the area that she gives birth is easily accessible for the people who will be helping out during the delivery. The dog should not be alone during delivery. Someone should be there just in case their are complications.
So much can go wrong during pregnancy.
This is very true. While at the vet, your friend should ask the vet for details on what to expect approaching delivery, during delivery and when to call in an emergency vet. Your friend should know what could go wrong and what to do.

StaceyB
August 23rd, 2005, 04:03 PM
If the dog were not pregnant and you were only dealing with the symptoms you would take her to the vet, the pregnancy just elevates the need to do this.