Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Trimming a puppy's nails & grooming

TracyG
August 23rd, 2005, 12:54 PM
Hello! I just have a question about trimming the nails of my 9 week old Golden Retriever. Is it possible that they might need trimming already? She just seems too small!! But they are getting sharp! I have no clue how to go about doing this! She's so wiggly and squirmy!! Any suggestions??I left the clippers out so she could smell them etc without actually cutting her nails. But I am sure she'd just try to bite me or the clippers if I tried to cut her nails! Same thing with brushing. Should I be introducing her to having her fur groomed already? What type of brush is used on puppy fur? Any help would be great!

Prin
August 23rd, 2005, 01:01 PM
I say yes. :D From Day 1 you should be playing with her feet and ears so that she isn't sensitive to people touching them, which makes it easier for the vet and for grooming.

Ask a vet or a groomer to show you how to do the nails yourself. If the nails are clear, it should be easy to learn, but if they happen to be black (which would be weird for a golden) then if might take a lonnng time to learn. ;)

As for brushing, you'd need an incredibly soft brush, IMO, so that you don't hurt the puppy. The fur is pretty thin when they're very young.

StaceyB
August 23rd, 2005, 01:19 PM
Handle and touch your puppy on all body parts daily. A puppy's nails should be done once every two weeks right through their life. Each nail has a blood vessel that runs through it called the quick. If you cut too far into the nail you will cut it, making it bleed and causing pain. Right now you can cut off the tip until you learn to properly clip them. I did post in another thread how to do this but you may want someone to show you. As for brushing, choose a soft bristle brush to get her used to it and begin to enjoy the brushing. This brush is useless for actual grooming but it is a good start.

TracyG
August 23rd, 2005, 01:32 PM
Thanks! I do touch her paws and gently squeeze her "toes" to expose the nail pretty much each day and often while she's playing with a chew toy. The vet did show me how to cut them...but I think I am just chicken! I tried to look for a posting on this...but perhaps I was looking in the wrong spot!
I did try to run a soft brush (almost looks like one I would use!) on her but it turned into the "Hey! That's something else for me to try and chew" game! :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 23rd, 2005, 01:39 PM
I am scared to trim Joeys nails as they are black and I am scared I will cut them to short.

StaceyB
August 23rd, 2005, 01:43 PM
I will find the tread so I don't have to write it all out again, lazy.

Roxy's_MA
August 23rd, 2005, 01:44 PM
I am also scared to trim Roxy's nails because most of them are black. :eek: I have been paying $10 a pop just to have a groomer cut the nails. I know I should learn this myself. I even have a powder you can put on if you accidently cut to short, It will clot the blood immediatly.

jessi76
August 23rd, 2005, 01:53 PM
Tucker has a mix of light/dark. I've tried, and I've had a bit of success, but I can only get a few a night, so at this rate, I'd never get the job done. Now I let the groomers at our obedience school do it. Tucker is less stressed (cause they know what they're doing) and I'm less stressed about potentially hurting him. The first time they did it though, it took 3 women. (and he only weighs 30lbs) one to hold him, one to clip, and one to keep him focused on her w/ treats.

StaceyB
August 23rd, 2005, 02:03 PM
I brought it up, check the new posts.

Prin
August 23rd, 2005, 02:10 PM
Here it is, post #4 on this thread:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17944
*Just in case they get separated sometime in the future. ;)

And here's the link to a site that has pictures of how to do it: http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/dog_nails.asp

TracyG
August 23rd, 2005, 02:21 PM
That's great! Thanks very much!