Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ash in diet

miss2z
August 23rd, 2005, 12:35 PM
My border collie can't eat dog food with a high percentage of ash content. So I've been feeding him the Canidae brand dog food. However, he likes the taste of Iams better, which contains items such as these: Calcium Carbonate, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate. Are any of these considered ash ingredients? Canidae doesn't include these ingredients in their food.

Thanks,
miss2z

Prin
August 23rd, 2005, 12:39 PM
Iams is only tasty because they add tons of artificial flavors etc. I suggest staying on the canidae and not letting your doggy know how tasty Iams is. :D It's really a much better food that Iams is.

If he's really not liking it, then you should ask for some samples of Solid Gold Wolf King- it's the tastiest food I have seen so far. :) Wolf King (http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=62&code=170)

miss2z
August 23rd, 2005, 03:16 PM
thanks for that advice. i looked at the wolfking brand and it's spendy!!! but you're right about the additives to iams. i might give it a try, however.

miss2z
August 23rd, 2005, 03:19 PM
that is, i might give the wolfking brand a try, not iams!

Prin
August 23rd, 2005, 04:18 PM
LOL! I almost had a heart attack! :D Get some samples first before you commit. :)

jjgeonerd
August 23rd, 2005, 05:15 PM
Nutro Ultra is also good and may be a little cheaper than Wolf King if its an issue. My dog likes it.

http://www.nutroproducts.com/ncultradog.asp

Prin
August 23rd, 2005, 05:38 PM
How much do you pay for Nutro?

Sneaky
August 23rd, 2005, 07:55 PM
I have found a great option for Dog Food if you
are in Canada, is First Mate's Naturally Holistic,
or First Mates Adult Dog food.
Their foods are high quality with no by products.
Iams tastes good because they add MSG.
Grocery Store brands tend to be poor quality,
and arent worth the money you pay.
First Mate is high quality and ranges from 24.95 for a 18kg
bag of Adult Food, to 36.99 for the 15kg bag of Naturally
Holistic. They also have different preparations with different
levels of Protein and Fat, so you can find one that matches your
dog much better than traditional store brands.
I buy mine at Petcetera, but have heard it is also available at SharKare,
Bosleys, and a couple of other places.

jjgeonerd
August 24th, 2005, 01:35 PM
How much do you pay for Nutro?

Around $37 for the biggest bag they have I think. I can't remember how big it is...40 lbs maybe?? Last about a month.

Of course you now have to translate all that into Canadian currency and weight! :p

I'm thinking of switching to Wolf King for a while just to give Gabby a change. I know that's a human thing but I always kind of feel bad when she gets the exact same thing every night! :rolleyes: Man...she is spoiled! :D

Prin
August 24th, 2005, 01:44 PM
LOL Wait till you feed the Wolf King though- she'll get so excited for it, you won't want to switch! :D

$37... hmm. That's what, under $55 cdn for 40lbs. (We still use lbs for dog food... :cool: ) It's about ++$15 cheaper than the Wolf King then. I pay $67.99 for 33lbs of Wolf King. It recently went down from $71...

jjgeonerd
August 24th, 2005, 03:40 PM
The only reason I haven't tried Wolf King yet is there is only one place that sells it...although they are close which is nice, but they don't sell Nutro. I like the Nutro Natural canned food...mainly because it is solid and fits in her Kong well. :p A lot of the high end wet food seems to be chunky with "gravy" which is hell to put in a Kong and have stay!

That'd be my luck...she'd go crazy for the most expensive food out there! :D

Prin
August 24th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Hey! It's not the most expensive!!! Merrick is more expensive... And maybe Eagle Pack (I'm not sure)...