Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How long til unfamiliar cats accept each other?

shannonRN
August 23rd, 2005, 02:07 AM
I know there is no definitive answer to a question like this, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Both of our female cats have lived with other cats in the past and these two are just not meshing as easily as I expected. The newbie has been here almost 2 weeks and the two were introduced very slowly. Over the last few days, they've started getting more comfortable, in closer proximity, etc. Now, all of the sudden, they're starting to growl at each other. I don't know if I should 'correct' them with a shake can, ignore, separate them again???? Can't we all just get along? :angel:

badger
August 23rd, 2005, 06:17 AM
It sounds as if things are going quite well, under the circumstances. Two weeks is not very long! I would keep a close eye on their interactions. If the growling escalates to actual combat or aggressive stalking (casual stalking is OK), separate them again and then gradually reintroduce them. Otherwise leave them to work it out. For now, I'd also put them in different rooms when you go out, to avoid any mishaps and give them a little down time.

jessi76
August 23rd, 2005, 08:31 AM
It took my older female cat at least a month to accept my female kitten last year, and even though she seemed to "accept" her, it was still a good 6 months until they were "friends". We seperated them for a while, and then let them work it out on their own (supervised) occassionally seperating them when the fur really started flying. After a couple kitty-smackdowns, they worked it out, and have been buddies ever since.

Lucky Rescue
August 23rd, 2005, 11:38 AM
Two weeks is not very long for adult cats to learn to get along.

Agree with Badger. Keep them separated when you can't watch them, and put the new cat into a room and let the original cat have run of the house.

Females can be even more territorial than males, although the territory is much smaller.

As long as there are no real fights, or injuries, let them work it out on their own. Do not correct them in any way for growling or you'll be adding stress that could very well escalate aggression.

Try giving treats or catnip to them when they're in same room. Bring out toys and catnip to help them learn that the presence of the other cat means good things!

Just make sure that one cat is not being terrorized or bullied, or is hiding all the time.

shannonRN
August 23rd, 2005, 12:29 PM
Thank you--this all makes me feel better. The last time we incorporated a new cat, adding Ruby to our household, things went very very smoothly. Now that she's the veteran cat, she's not so flexible. Just a crotchety old lady now I guess. I'll be more patient :highfive:

StaceyB
August 23rd, 2005, 12:53 PM
Your cats will either become great friends or they will learn to avoid each other.

shannonRN
August 24th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Hopefully the former, and not the latter! They don't have to cuddle, but I hope to be able to have both my kitties watch TV with me.

Things are progressing a little...they're starting to play together, but it's very easy for new cat to cross the line and tick off old cat. No spats yet though.

Lucky Rescue
August 24th, 2005, 12:37 PM
I think that's amazing progress! Older girl kitties can be extremely cranky.:p

shannonRN
August 24th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Isn't that where the term 'b*tch kitty' came from?