Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Shih tzu eye odor and tears

TiffyT
August 22nd, 2005, 10:06 PM
I have a 3 year old shih tzu that I rescued early this year. He is in very good health. I keep his hair very short all over, including his face, and I wipe the excess tears and mucous from his eyes several times each day. Nonetheless, he has an odor coming from his eyes and I wonder if it is normal to produce so many tears and mucous from the eyes.

Do you think something could be wrong? He seems to see just fine.

StaceyB
August 22nd, 2005, 10:21 PM
Some of these breeds have a huge problem with this. It sounds as if there is an infection right now so your dog needs to see a vet for treatment. Once the eyes are cleared up only wipe them down once a day.
Though this may not help at all now for limiting the stains left it may help someone else. Wash eye area, be careful not to scratch the eye. Place a small glob of vasaline just below the corner. Take some corn starch and coat the vasaline. As the eyes drain they will get soaked up by the corn starch. When you clean the area you should be able to crumble off the area, wash and re-apply. If you keep wiping the eyes it will leave a trail to follow and tear all down the face and stain the area. All dogs that have bulgy eyes are more likely to get irritated..

Shaykeija
August 22nd, 2005, 10:42 PM
Sophie my Shih Tzhu has a wet face also. I had the vet check her and he said her eyes were fine. She has the tear stains but it just makes her look like a little bandit. She produces a lot of tears, and I am glad for this. It mean no dry eye. Some times she gets a little stinky before a bath but it is not so bad. I try to give her a a bath every 2 weeks. If she gets really grimey, every week. What little bundles of true love they are. Sohie makes me smile every day. I sure love that fur ball.