Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

help - bandage removal!

toby's tracy
August 22nd, 2005, 06:23 PM
Does anyone have any tips to help me remove the bandages from Toby's dew claw surgery?

It is time to remove the bandages and the little bugger won't let me. He is right now hiding under the dining room table.

This is what I have done so far:

I sat on the floor and he crawled into my lap. I stroked his back paws for a few minutes and tried to take off the bandages. He has two layers of bandages. The bottom layer seems to be the kind that winds around his foot, but I can not for the life of me find the beginning to the top layer. They had put a 2nd layer on top of the 1st one because he was chewing on the 1st ones. Is it possible that the top layer (they are blue, if that makes a difference...) not be a bandage that winds around? So I tried to roll the bandage off like a sock - I got it about 1/2 way down and it won't go any further because his foot is too wide.

In any case - as soon as I pulled out the scissors to cut off the bandages he got scared and struggled with me to get away. He wants nothing to do with those scissors.

(I did let him sniff and lick the scissors for a while...)

Any tips will be greatly appreciated - I am getting VERY frustrated! And these bandages need to come off!

coppperbelle
August 22nd, 2005, 06:26 PM
Do you have anyone that could help you who could hold something very tasty just within his reach? When he is busy licking the treat you can do the cutting.

toby's tracy
August 22nd, 2005, 06:38 PM
Thanks Copperbelle!

I tried to do that myself since my boyfriend is away until Friday. No go.

since I rolled part of 1 down, he is working at it to try to take it off.

He ripped part of 1 and I have pulled the rest of the top layer off...but there is still more on one paw and then a whole other paw...at this rate this is going to take all night!!!

toby's tracy
August 22nd, 2005, 07:00 PM
Sooo frustrating...

He won't let me near his paws. As soon as I touch his bandages he squirms away...

I thought that maybe when he saw that I was trying to help him get them off he would let me continue...but no...

Is there anything wrong with leaving them on for an extra day or 2?

I can't believe I can't make this silly puppy sit still for 1 minute to take off his bandages!!!! :(

coppperbelle
August 22nd, 2005, 07:09 PM
Could you take him back to the vet to have them removed? I don't know about leaving them on any longer than necessary. It might stop the healing process.
I understand how frustrating it is. One of my goldens has some issues and hates it when I touch her tail. Because she is a golden she is forever getting burrs in her tail and I have to fight with her to get them out.

toby's tracy
August 22nd, 2005, 07:32 PM
I seem to have got him started at least - he is starting to rip at them himself, though I don't know if that is good or bad!

If I can't get them off by tomorrow, I think I may just pop by the vet's and look pathetic so someone helps me out!

Thanks for the advice Copperbelle!

dmc123
August 22nd, 2005, 07:35 PM
Try covering him with a towel, head/mouth and all feet and arms except the once you need to get to. Hold tight with elbow to secure him. that would be very hard to do alone.

Good luck.
Diane

shannon1233A
August 22nd, 2005, 07:35 PM
Just trying ideas here, but do you have a pair of those little manicure scissors rather than the regulor scissors. Maybe you can pretend to just be petting his paw and hide them in you other hand to use? What about getting them wet? Maybe he could tear the banages off easier if they were wet, I don't know. I know gauze come off easier when wet, and so do bandaides, but don't know about those blue ones, or if you're even allowed to get them wet. I'll search the net and see if I can find something and come back. Poor Toby :angel

StaceyB
August 22nd, 2005, 08:05 PM
It sounds like he has vet wrap on. You can put his leash on, wrap it around your waist. Sit on the floor and get him comfie. Then slide the scissors through and try to make one cut through. Cut open on the opposite side from where dew claw was located.

toby's tracy
August 22nd, 2005, 08:31 PM
thanks everyone...

shannon1233, I don't know if getting them wet will help, it seems like the kind of material that actually gets stronger when wet!

We have tried the towel move in the past...I think you are right, Diane - definitely a 2-person job with the towel!

I will definitely try the leash around the waist maneuver...thanks Stacey B!

It seemed like such a simple procedure when they told me to take off the bandages at the vet...

StaceyB
August 22nd, 2005, 08:35 PM
Getting these type of bandages wet will make them stronger. You also don't want to get the incision wet.

toby's tracy
August 22nd, 2005, 09:11 PM
Oh boy - I gave Toby a break from my bandage removal trials about 30 minutes ago...I just looked at his paws and he has managed to pull a bit more of one bandage off...only to reveal a very red looking incision mark on one of his paws.

We are definitely going to the vet tomorrow to have someone remove the rest of the bandages and perhaps clean that wound...

...I feel like a horrible owner! The bandages are in tatters from trying to take them off and the incision looks angry and swollen! I feel like crying... :(

He is napping now, like he usually does at this time of night. and when he was walking a few minutes ago he seemed to be walking fine. He is not licking it or anything else to show that it is bothering him...

Prin
August 22nd, 2005, 10:05 PM
You're not bad! Don't worry! Some doggies are easier than others. The wound is still fresh, so it probably still would be inflamed anyway. You're a great mommy!!!!! :love: :grouphug:

What I would have used is little swiss army scissors (almost invisible in your hand) and I would have done 1 cm at a time with tons of cookies/cheese/bread/anything he loves after each snip. :)

toby's tracy
August 23rd, 2005, 05:59 AM
ok...so after last night's anxiety ridden session, I spoke with my boyfriend who advised me that we've actually got bandage removal scissors (on an angle, rounded at the guiding edge)! (why he didn't tell me about this before...I don't know...).

So, this morning I fed him a humongous bowl of kibble mixed with rice and warm water and took those scissors and cut them off while he was eating. He loves rice and warm water so, even though he was kicking my hand away, he didn't actually run away and...

...I got the gross bandages off!!!!

The thing is, they were super sticky and I think they pulled on the owies a bit, there's a bit of blood at one, and the red swollen one from last night still looks pretty icky.

Should I clean them somehow? Any suggestions? I will be calling my vet once they open, at around 8.

...there's plenty of time...can't attempt until lunchtime or I'll have one pudgy pup here! ;)

...now, if I could get rid of this sinus cold that started yesterday...

StaceyB
August 23rd, 2005, 08:42 AM
Out of all the dogs that I have seen that have their dew claws removed, usually when they are fixed about 80% end up with some degree of infection.

Dog Mom
August 23rd, 2005, 09:13 AM
when we took the bandages off my sister's dog Boo's legs it looked horrible I thought that it was really infected but i took pics and sent them to the vet he said that they looked normal and to just let her lick them clean.

toby's tracy
August 23rd, 2005, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the reassurance Dog Mom.

There was some blood and the skin semed to be pulling at the sutures, so I called the vet and the receptionist said to drop him off and the vet would take a look during the day. She was quite cute, "no - no - no. We don't want him to be uncomfortable. Bring him in!"

So, I'm still waiting to hear any news.

I'll let you all know once I know!

Thanks again!

toby's tracy
August 23rd, 2005, 12:04 PM
You're not bad! Don't worry! Some doggies are easier than others. The wound is still fresh, so it probably still would be inflamed anyway. You're a great mommy!!!!! :love: :grouphug:

Thanks, Prin! My heart just about broke when I saw his swollen little incision mark surrounded by a patch of shaved leg :(

Prin
August 23rd, 2005, 12:53 PM
Boo's dewclaws healed without any swelling or anything (but them my vet is pure awesome). He didn't lick them once!!

Hey, Tracy, most of the people who post here wouldn't have even gone to the vet today. They'd be all "I'll wait a week and see what happens". :rolleyes: You're a fantastic Furmommy. :) :thumbs up

toby's tracy
August 23rd, 2005, 07:30 PM
Well...now poor Toby is wearing a cone and he is terrified!

Do all dogs react this way to that cone/collar gizmo?

Prin
August 23rd, 2005, 07:31 PM
I don't know any doggies that like the e collar. It takes time to get used to it. Just try to make it positive.

toby's tracy
August 23rd, 2005, 08:08 PM
well - so far I have had to hand feed him and he has had a few extra treats...so I guess it is a little positive for him.

Though he didn't accept them all - which lets me know he is super freaked. He will eat hot peppers, cucumbers, just about anything...if he is refusing food - UHOH! :eek:

Right now he is sitting under my legs, under my desk. He hasn't attempted the lie-down yet. Every time he moves he bangs his collar on something and then spazzes about it...the poor guy.

Prin
August 23rd, 2005, 08:11 PM
But if you take the collar off, does he eat his feet? I don't understand why he's wearing it in the first place... Does the vet think Toby caused the redness?

toby's tracy
August 23rd, 2005, 08:18 PM
yes - somehow the bandages had gotten damp - probably from him licking them. When I took part of one off last night it revealed a swollen, red incision mark and Toby spent a lot of last night licking at it. He was starting to go at the sutures too...

When we took him home last Friday we had been given a spray that tasted bad to spray on the bandages, but it didn't deter him for long. (Also, but this is my opinion - I think the spray helped to keep things a bit too damp around the area...)

He's wearing the e collar to make sure that he doesn't bite the sutures out. They had him all day to see how he acts with those feet and he wasn't leaving them alone.

***sigh***

Prin
August 23rd, 2005, 08:34 PM
Poor doggy. :(