Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do i teach my dog its ok for me to cuddle?

melz
August 22nd, 2005, 03:41 PM
My dog Mozart is supposedly a Shih Tzu / Pom mix.. but I am told by my vet that he seems to be more of a Poodle/Lhasa apso and that chances are he's got the four breeds in him.

That being said. I love Mozart dearly but he cannot seem to grasp the fact that mommy is allowed attention from other people. If I want to cuddle with a friend, or if I give a hug to someone he jumps and barks and has snapped my brother when giving him a good bye hug.

How do I teach him to not do that. I don't want to have to put him in his crate when its my turn for cuddles.. but if I have too for him to learn, i will. I just hope there's a better solution to this. My friends and family all love my dogs but Mozart just can't seem to grasp that its not all about him when it comes to affection.

Help!

StaceyB
August 22nd, 2005, 03:55 PM
Has anyone ever laughed when he has done this?

tenderfoot
August 22nd, 2005, 08:00 PM
Okay, imagine this as a child who resents you being affectionate with your partner or a sibling and the child behaves outrageously when this happens.
Putting him in the crate avoids teaching him. Set this dog up for learning. Put a leash on him and work him for a few minutes, put him into a sit/stay, then have someone come up and give you a brief hug. Remind him of what he should do (sit/stay) just as the person approaches you. If he misbehaves when the person hugs you then give him a firm verbal correction and a slight leash correction and place him back into the sit/stay. Repeat this until he makes a better choice (3-5 times), then have the person hug you for longer - not too long, we don't want it to get embarassing. After each successful encounter reward him with praise and touch. Have the other person reward him aswell. This helps him understand his boundaries and keeps him involved in the interaction with good manners.

melz
August 23rd, 2005, 09:23 AM
Okay, imagine this as a child who resents you being affectionate with your partner or a sibling and the child behaves outrageously when this happens.
Putting him in the crate avoids teaching him. Set this dog up for learning. Put a leash on him and work him for a few minutes, put him into a sit/stay, then have someone come up and give you a brief hug. Remind him of what he should do (sit/stay) just as the person approaches you. If he misbehaves when the person hugs you then give him a firm verbal correction and a slight leash correction and place him back into the sit/stay. Repeat this until he makes a better choice (3-5 times), then have the person hug you for longer - not too long, we don't want it to get embarassing. After each successful encounter reward him with praise and touch. Have the other person reward him aswell. This helps him understand his boundaries and keeps him involved in the interaction with good manners.

Thank you! Will try this.