Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog ate 4 acorns

DMelanson
August 22nd, 2005, 12:58 PM
My dog Maggies (Berner) ate approx 4 acorns- I know they are toxic but is that number of acorns enough for real problems? She just had diarrhea but otherwise seems normal

Thanks

D

.sarah
August 23rd, 2005, 12:59 AM
I never knew acorns could be toxic! Interesting ...

Anyway, whether or not they are toxic, a Berner eating 4 acorns is nothing. She'd probably have to eat dozens for it to affect her.

Prin
August 23rd, 2005, 01:11 AM
I say call the vet and ask. :)

jessi76
August 23rd, 2005, 09:24 AM
it's the chemical inside the acorn that is toxic, but like sarah said, I'd worry if she ate a large quantity, not 4. It never hurts to call the vet to be sure though.

coppperbelle
August 23rd, 2005, 08:11 PM
I received an article today that ticks are often found in acorns. You may want to check it out with your vet.