Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Joey panting heavily after walks

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 21st, 2005, 10:03 PM
:pawprint: I am taking Joey to vet on tuesday

Joey came with a clean bill of health but I am a bit worried about him.

It seems whenever we go for our daily walk which isnt strenous about 20- 25 minutes or less twice a day. He is really out of breath and seems to pant heavily for about 20 minutes. We walk at 5am and again at about 7 then my husband takes him for a third time around midnignt. I am not sure if he is getting used to our climate which is considerably warmer here or if there is something wrong. He is not overweight and he only eats his dog food and the occasional veggie and his Kong on occasion.

Prin
August 21st, 2005, 10:06 PM
Is he hot? Feel right where the ears meet the head and see if it's really warm when you come in. If he's hot, maybe find some way to cool him down (like wetting him). Try to walk him only on grass, and not on cement or asphalt.

If he's not so hot, then it could be a breathing thing. :eek: Is the altitude much different?

StaceyB
August 21st, 2005, 10:07 PM
Whenever you are concerned check with a vet. It could be the climate change. It could also be that he is out of shape. Is he just panting or does he seem to be out of breath?

Prin
August 21st, 2005, 10:09 PM
Is he just panting or does he seem to be out of breath? That's what I meant. Brevity is not my strong suit. Thanks Stacey. :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 21st, 2005, 10:17 PM
He seems to be just panting heavily. He is from Anchorage Alaska which is at sea level. The Okanagan is above sea level and the air is quite dry. I think I will take him to the vet on tuesday just to get him checked out. I am hoping it is just the climate change and he will adjust. I walk him on the grass as much as I can and never when it is really hot out.

Prin
August 21st, 2005, 10:21 PM
So you don't think it's heat then? Anybody know how far the Okanagan is above sea level? I know I have a hard time in Calgary and it's, what, 5000ft above sea level? I'm not sure... :o

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 22nd, 2005, 07:33 AM
Vernon is 412 metres above sea level. Is a metre about 3 or so feet? So maybe about 1200 feet above sea level. It is also dry here but not as dry as Calgary. My guess would be its a bit of both the heat and the altitude for him. I would like to take him in anyways just to be sure he is healthy. :)

justncase
August 22nd, 2005, 09:52 PM
I see you're in B.C. Humid? That can cause a problem in pets, not used to the humidity. The bronchi get moisture-laden and it gets harder to breathe when that happens. It becomes especially evident after exercise. Hopefully, that's all it is.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 22nd, 2005, 11:12 PM
I hope it is just the climate change and he will adjust. I did call the vet though and we will bring him in tommorow just to get checked over, and to get some heartworm pills for him to.

Actually the air in Vernon is dry, I would think the air in Alaska is moist but then again I dont live there nor have I been there. Vancouver is definatley damp.