Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

young cat with a cataract

boo
August 21st, 2005, 09:32 PM
My manx cat Rumplin just turned two, when I took him to the vet for his annual shots, the vet commented that Rumplin was developing a cataract in one eye. The vet said that due to his age (being so young) that the cataract was probably a result from a scratch to the eye. Could his eye have gotten scratched without me knowing? I do not ever remember him having any kind of trouble, redness, watering, matter, ect.. I have five cats and I am a very protective momma, I can always tell if there is something wrong or going on. The vet says there is nothing that can be done. Is there anyway to slow the development of it? Could it be a inherited thing?

pamha
August 21st, 2005, 10:50 PM
but cataracts can be congenital in dogs. Our older dog had the beginnings of cataracts when she was very young & one of her littermates had really thick ones before he was a year old. Our Maggie went completely blind when she was about 10. They can be removed, but I don`t know how good the outcome usually is. When Maggie was younger there was no way we could afford the operation ($1000+ I believe) and now it would be too stressful for her to be put under, so I haven`t really looked into it. I don`t know any way to slow it developing.

On the brighter side, animals usually can adapt to blindness, especially if it develops slowly and if only one eye is affected, your kitty should do pretty well even if you find nothing can be done. Wouldn`t hurt to check into having it removed though.
Pam

Prin
August 21st, 2005, 10:59 PM
I don't know for sure either but I found this about human cataracts:

A cataract develops when protein in the lens clumps together and blocks light from reaching the retina.

And the causes of human cataracts:
Age-related cataracts—those that develop with older age
Congenital cataracts—those that are present at birth or develop in early childhood, usually in both eyes
Secondary cataracts—those that develop in individuals with medical conditions (such as diabetes) or in those who use steroids
Traumatic cataracts—those that develop as a result of an eye injury

Here's an interesting article about kitty cataract treatment:
http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/petcolumns/showarticle.cfm?id=340

boo
August 22nd, 2005, 02:34 PM
Thank you for the info! I am glad it's only in one eye and hopefully it will develop slowly. Other then that he is very healthy! I know this is a mnor issue compared to other health problems that some animals have , so we will count our blessings! :)