Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Urine Burning Grass

Byrd
August 21st, 2005, 09:16 PM
Now, is this a female thing, or is it a food thing?

All the female dogs in our family burn the grass where they pee. They all, coincidentally, eat Pro Plan.

So, do all female dogs burn the grass where they urinate, or is it because of the food ours are eating?

StaceyB
August 21st, 2005, 09:42 PM
There can be several reasons, food being one of them. There are products that you can purchase to neutralize the area. There is also a supplement that you can give. I don't know how well this product works, you would just have to try it.

Prin
August 21st, 2005, 09:57 PM
I think all pee burns grass. Regardless of the food... The only thing I suggest is hosing down the grass afterward because I don't particularly trust the stuff you put in the food to make the urine less acidic-- less acidic means less likely to kill bacteria, which means a probable increase in the chance of getting a UTI. That's why humans are told to drink cranberry juice to prevent UTIs- it makes the urine more acidic... JMO

Byrd
August 21st, 2005, 10:04 PM
Thanks.

I should get out the watering can for when she pees (no hose at the apartment).

My neighbour cuts the grass and he was asking about it today, saying he feeds his dog Eukanuba and hers doesn't burn the grass. I was thinking of trying the natural diet to see if that helped.

Prin
August 22nd, 2005, 01:36 PM
I think she might just drink more so it would be more dilute. My doggies were on Eukanuba for a while and it never occurred to me that they were burning the grass less (it was still burning a lot). I think the morning pee is the worst one (most concentrated). Hey, if you fed only canned, it might dilute the pee more... Just a thought (an expensive thought... :D ).

shannonRN
August 22nd, 2005, 01:38 PM
My male GSD was making a mess of our lawn...just goes along the perimeter of the lawn, leaving 'pee spots' all over the place. Well, I noticed that this rodent repellent product I had bought to keep the chipmunks out of my flower planters contains urine, so I sprinkled some of this stuff around the base of the trees in the yard. Now both our male and female dogs pee primarily next to the trees, which have mulch around them. So, very few spots in the yard. Of course, this summer has been so dry that the whole lawn is a big pee spot :(

I whole heartedly agree with the other posts that altering urinary pH is probably asking for trouble, and it seems wrong to me IMHO to medicate an animal for something that is a healthy state.

db7
August 22nd, 2005, 02:14 PM
It is generally associated with females because they tend to pee all in one spot in the middle of the lawn while males mark here and there all over, causing little damage.

There only 2 health issues to consider. Either there is too low water intake, causing the urine to be highly concentrated or the diet is too high in protein. Extra protein is metabolised by the kidney causing a change in the pH of the urine and dead grass. If the dog is relatively inactive, consider a lower protein food.

Don't try any other "remedies" they'll just give the dog kidney stones and other troubles.

Byrd
August 22nd, 2005, 05:28 PM
Hey, if you fed only canned, it might dilute the pee more... Just a thought (an expensive thought... :D ).

Yeah, expensive when the tooth decay starts! :p

I spoke to the vet and she said that it is normal. It is a hot summer, and therefore no water to rinse it off the grass. Not to change her food because her diet is fine for her. She is very active (9 month old Aussie), so I can't really consider a low protein diet.

Prin
August 22nd, 2005, 10:08 PM
Hey- actually, no. If you feed really good quality canned food (like Merrick- the craziest canned I know of) then studies show there is actually no difference in the teeth between kibble and canned. :)

losinsusan
August 24th, 2005, 10:46 AM
I have a male dog and he has in eight years destroyed our lawn. We have no grass left. It was finally just reduced to mud. My husband put down mulch and rocks around to make it look decent and the problem is solved. He sure doesn't mind not mowing back there and i have no muddy paws to clean anymore. We had fears about mulch safety. But its been two months now and its been fine. You have to stay away from cocoa based mulch. That is toxic to animals. We did some cedar with mostly just wood mulch. I know in an apartment you can't do that. Maybe walk the dog to other spots so it doesn't kill just one area over and over. And yes water it in well.

nymph
August 24th, 2005, 11:24 AM
yup it's a dog thing. I'm going to have to resod my lawn when I'm selling the house.

Welcome to the club mate! ;)

goldengal
August 24th, 2005, 01:56 PM
I used to think it was only females who burned the grass, but having had males for 20 years and lots of brown marks, I changed my mind. I now have a female, and I don't think she burns the lawn any more than my daughter's Berner where I live. Guess we have to resign ourselves to brown lawns.

Incidentally, the neighbour next door here at the lake has a 4 month old yellow lab, and she takes her out to the gravel driveway to pee as her property is a show place.