Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fox terrier skin problems serious

Mary P
August 21st, 2005, 12:52 PM
Hello everyone I am new to this forum
.I hope i can contribute also as I have always been a pet owner.I have lots of experience but this one has me stumped .Last year we adopted a toy fox terrier named Jack he is so sweet .When we got him he had a piddleing problem but he is now over that and feels very secure .His bio said he had skin problems and even the vet can't figure it out .
Evertime he eats anything( and believe me i have tried everthing including cooking for him ) he flares up it begins in the mouth area and proceeds down his upper body .He becomes very red and sore to touch .He has now been on prednisone for I year I try to keep it at one half per day but sometimes he just needs more .Does anybody have any other suggetions .He has plaque on his teeth but they do not want to put him under to clean them .I don't know what else it could be .Does anybody know about digestive problems .I have tried the yogurt also
About one hour after he eats it subsides a bit but never dissapearing.I have tried benedryl and he devloped mucous in his stool any suggestions .Thanks in advance.Mary P :confused:

Puppyluv
August 21st, 2005, 01:07 PM
I may be way off the mark here, but it sounds like an allergy.. a bad one :sad: It could be anything; dairy, beef, chicken, wheat, gluten, corn. Not necessarily things you only find in dog foods, but also in homemade foods too. Has the vet done a complete allergy test?

the gang
August 21st, 2005, 02:22 PM
i think i would try another vet for a secon oppinion good luck.

Mary P
August 21st, 2005, 05:11 PM
You know he has been tested for skin problems(scrapes ) and the only thing they haven't done is the 400 dollar tests but I feel like I am down to the wire .It is so strange though that it is only when he eats ,and I have eliminated and tried so many foods I can't think of what to do next .I just wondered if this could be a hormone or enzyme problem .Has anyone heard of this and what symptoms might be .I know it is bad and I am sick about it.
Thanks

Karin
August 21st, 2005, 09:37 PM
You know he has been tested for skin problems(scrapes ) and the only thing they haven't done is the 400 dollar tests but I feel like I am down to the wire .It is so strange though that it is only when he eats ,and I have eliminated and tried so many foods I can't think of what to do next .I just wondered if this could be a hormone or enzyme problem .Has anyone heard of this and what symptoms might be .I know it is bad and I am sick about it.
Thanks

Allergy testing by the Heska corp. last time I checked was $150. for a complete food, inhalent & contact sensitivity test.
In my opinion he is due for a complete blood workup....including endocrinology.

Btw, what kind of bowls does he eat from?

nymph
August 24th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Karin, are you referring to the Heska Corps's Allercept allergy testing & treatment program? It doesn't seem to me like they are only detecting allergen-specific IgE antibodies, no mention of testing for FOOD allergy though.

Karin
August 24th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Karin, are you referring to the Heska Corps's Allercept allergy testing & treatment program? It doesn't seem to me like they are only detecting allergen-specific IgE antibodies, no mention of testing for FOOD allergy though.

The Heska basic with food allergy additional if suspected...food allergies have to be tested for specific's. Food allergies manifest in so many differrent ways they have be tested as such since most products and exposure are universal...funny thing about food allergy...the ears tend to show it first.

Certain grass allergies present like a beet red "bruise" on an animals body..(usually followed by lethargy)

Testing has to be specific...in a perfect world one would do all. The vet relys on the owners report, the owner is the eyes & ears for the pet afterall right?

No testing will be conclusive while using prednisone..he needs to be weaned off and after clear of pred start testing again. Any money spent on testing while on prednisone is money wasted in my opinion.