Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ontario Liberals: Toronto Shootings? Look a pit bull!

twodogsandacat
August 21st, 2005, 08:24 AM
31 deaths so far this year and Michael Bryant isn't foaming at the mouth. A questionable dog attack last year and his ugly mug was all over the news calling it an issue of public safety. Priorities - they don't have none.

This governement is still not up to the job. Don't worry good people. When the lights go out due to the Liberal's lack of management of the hydro issues it will become harder for those shooters to hit their targets. Much like the Liberals.

http://torontosun.com/News/Columnists/Blizzard_Christina/2005/08/21/1182042.html

The McGuinty Liberals took drastic action over pit bulls
By CHRISTINA BLIZZARD

I am so confused.

Last year it seemed the entire provincial Liberal cabinet was so strung out on caffeine, all it took was a dog to bark and Premier Dalton McGuinty or Attorney General Michael Bryant would leap in front of a camera and tell us that pit bulls need to be banned, banned, banned.

This year, it's happy time here at Queen's Park. I'm not sure what they're putting in the coffee. Prozac, perhaps?

Forget about dog bites. As of Wednesday, when McGuinty spoke to reporters, there had been 31 people shot to death this year in Toronto alone. Every morning, it seems, there's another body or two on the streets.

Yet McGuinty and his usually sensible Public Safety Minister Monte Kwinter felt compelled to remind us last week that crime is down, down, down.

"Don't lose sight of Toronto the Good," McGuinty said on Wednesday. "I think it's important to get the whole story out. The overwhelming majority of residents in this community are peace-loving, hospitable, warm, engaging people who would love to have the world visit us here."

Well, okay. But that's like asking newpapers to write stories about the 2,385,369 Torontonians who made it safely through the night and not the 31 or so who didn't.

"To suggest this is the wild West is irresponsible," Kwinter said. "One death is too many, but I'm saying to you we've got to counter the image that people are being shot all the time all over the city. That isn't the fact."

Gee, sorry. I could have sworn that was police tape blocking my way to work the other morning. Silly me.

I hate to be alarmist, but when you have the police chief talking about gang "turf wars" and children being caught "in the crossfire" and "gunslingers" who show a "wanton disregard for life," it is fair to describe what's happening on the streets of T.O. as akin to the "wild West."

The whole pit bull vs. gun violence irony has not escaped provincial Progressive Conservative leader John Tory.

"I find it an interesting contrast between that activity last year and this year, with what we see going on here," he said in an interview last week.

"I don't sense the same passion about that and it should be there. It certainly is for me."

He's visited three of the city's most troubled areas recently, talking to residents. What he's hearing doesn't connect with McGuinty's rose-coloured world.

"I found his comments troubling, because they are so out of touch with the feelings of the people who live in the neighbourhoods I have been in," Tory said.

He's found "despair combined with the anger combined with the anxiety" among residents whose lives have been made miserable by gangsters.

Tory wants tougher sentencing. He was in Belleville on Friday and says he likes the federal legislation put forward by the area's Conservative MP Darryl Cramp, who proposes a tiered approach to gun crime.

A person in possession of a gun in the commission of a crime would get a mandatory five-year sentence. If the gun is actually used in the crime, the minimimum is hiked to 10 years.

It's not just the deterrent factor of such legislation that appeals to Tory. It's the fact that it gets the shooters off the streets.

As for the new cops McGuinty has promised, Tory says it's the fourth time the Liberals have re-announced them. And it's "too little, too late.

"Even if they had said they were going to phase it in over four years, starting in the first year of their mandate, 500 of them would be on the street now," Tory said.

Remember how Tory promised 400 cops when he ran for Toronto mayor -- and all those lefties called him a scaremonger?

Well, that was then. This is now. Guess we did need them after all. Better pass the Prozac. Quickly.

Wudjah
August 21st, 2005, 04:28 PM
To me, a pit bull is like a gun...in the right hands it is harmless but in the wrong hands there can be big problems. Obviously guns have killed way more people then pit bulls ever have, so I have to wonder why they don't ban guns? It's silly really when you think about it. I guess there are more gun owners then pit bull owners in Ontario so maybe Mr. Bryant is worried that he'll p*** off too many voters by taking a stance against guns as well!? Maybe this same sentiment has been voiced here but I just had to say it to get if off my mind. :confused:

gdamadg
August 21st, 2005, 04:48 PM
I have to wonder why they don't ban guns?
To me, a pit bull is like a gun...in the right hands it is harmless but in the wrong hands there can be big problems.

You answered your own question. I am a gun owner and have a pit bull as part of my family. And it is not ther breed that is like a gun, any dog in the wrong hands can be dangerous. There are many guns all over Canada, not just Ontario, and they are in the hands of responsible gun owners. Just as there are many responsible people that have pit bulls as part of their family.

I guess there are more gun owners then pit bull owners in Ontario so maybe Mr. Bryant is worried that he'll p*** off too many voters by taking a stance against guns as well!?

That is just about it, the Provincial government is responsibile to the whole province. And for a large majority of it, it is remote and people rely on firearms as a way of life. But this gets into a whole seperate issue.