Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anybody know how to get rid of that rot smell?

Prin
August 20th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Jemma's collar stinks!!! After swimming twice last week, it smells like rot (not Boo's, I don't know why..).

Does anybody know how to get rid of the smell without bleach? I don't want to ruin her collar...

gdamadg
August 20th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Have you tried soaking it with an antibacterial soap of some sort, dish or laundry and water?

Prin
August 20th, 2005, 07:57 PM
That's true! I just got Dawn to get rid of the oil the previous owners left on my driveway. I'll try that. Thanks!!!

Karin
August 20th, 2005, 08:01 PM
When Ciara's collar, harness & leash start smelling like funk I throw them all in a pillow case, tags included, tie a knot in the end and throw them in the washing machine...then dryer. They come out like new and the tags don't "clang" in the dryer.

Prin
August 20th, 2005, 08:04 PM
I thought about that, but their collars have a reflective strip, and I'm pretty sure the washing machine will take it all off....

Prin
August 20th, 2005, 08:07 PM
It's this one:

Karin
August 20th, 2005, 08:29 PM
I buy only Tuff-Lock brand of collars & leashes for Ciara. Her last one had the reflector strip on the back and I never had a problem washing it. Wash on a warm setting too btw. I love Tuff-Locks., they are guarrenteed no matter what. Even if the color fades you can replace them free of charge. Ciara is on her 4th set and I only paid for the 1st one. If they look worn out or if there is one fray, I exchange it. She's had red, purple with reflector and twice with blue...she looks better in blue.

Cat Tuff-Locks are great because they will release automatically if a cat gets caught up in anything.....oops....

...I sound to myself like a spammer....I swear I do not sell this product, just very happy with them & the company that stands behind them.

Prin
August 20th, 2005, 08:46 PM
LOL Like me and Solid Gold... I'd be banned a million times by now- and I'd hopefully be rich too! :D

I'll have to look up those collars. :)

twinmommy
August 20th, 2005, 08:55 PM
soak it in Dawn and baking soda. I use the latter for everything....funky. :)

Prin
August 20th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Thanks Twinmommy. :) I'll go do it now.

Karin
August 20th, 2005, 09:12 PM
LOL Like me and Solid Gold... I'd be banned a million times by now- and I'd hopefully be rich too! :D

I'll have to look up those collars. :)

Lmsao! You mean I could be banned for my last post???..*sweating bullets*

Mods....you do not mind if we poke a little fun every now and then huh? ( *Huh* an American eh?)

*psssst Prin, most vet hospitals here carry the line*

Prin
August 20th, 2005, 09:17 PM
LOL no you won't get banned because you're not benefitting from recommending it... :)

I haven't seen the collars before, so I'll have to look out for them...

lisa-lisa
August 20th, 2005, 10:58 PM
<looking at Prin suspiciously>

There was a smell on your driveway? :)

lisa-lisa
August 20th, 2005, 10:59 PM
<laughing>

Oops, you said oil.

<kicking myself in the teeth>

Prin
August 21st, 2005, 12:45 AM
LOL My driveway probably does smell, but I don't get that low to the ground here on account of all the spiders... :D I bought the dawn because of the oil on my driveway (didn't work too well...). I think the previous owners did their oil changes straight on the driveway...

Sorry for the hijack, Prin. :D :D :crazy: I think I hijack my own threads more than anybody else... :o

jjgeonerd
August 22nd, 2005, 10:53 AM
Did it work?

We tried everything with Gabby's fabric collars and finally gave up and got a new one made from bridle leather. It was expensive, but it never stinks no matter how many times she goes swimming! I just rinse it off and let it dry after each swim. It looks cool too! :thumbs up

Lizzie
August 22nd, 2005, 11:06 AM
Soaking it in vinegar might work too...

Prin
August 22nd, 2005, 12:24 PM
It worked!!! I put about 3 tbsp of dawn and wayyy too much baking soda in the sink with as hot water as I could get out of the tap, and they're smelly free!!! :) I did both (why not?) and they both smell like plasticky gluey collars again!! :)

Thanks everybody.

Dog Dancer
August 22nd, 2005, 12:52 PM
Hey Prin, First I must go wash Shadow and Halo's collars, I had given up. I did hear on a radio show that if you put Coke on driveway oil it removes it. I think they said to leave it overnight. Don't know if it works, but a few people called in and said it did. I haven't tried it though. Just thought I'd throw that in for you.

Prin
August 22nd, 2005, 01:11 PM
I have to buy coke? :D I've heard that the syrup they use for drink dispensers is the best for any kind of stain... I don't know...