Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

fur loss

August 20th, 2005, 04:05 PM
My 8 Year Old Male Cat Is Losing His Hair Between His Back Legs, On His Lower Stomach And A Patch Above His Tail. Months Ago I Noticed Loss Above His Tail; It Looked Like Someone Shaved Him, But It Grew Back. Now It Is So Bad You Can See His Skin. The Vet Said It Was Due To Fleas. He Did Have A Few Fleas, But I Have Since Treated Him And The Situation Is Getting Worse. He Is Outside Alot And The Weather Has Been In The 90's And Humid All Summer, More So Than Normal. Just Today I Noticed Some Small Red Abrasion-like Spots On His Skin Above The Tail Area. This Has Been Going On For About 4 To 5 Weeks Now And Getting Worse. He Does Not Appear To Scratch More Than Normal. He Does Groom Alot But In Other Unaffected Areas. Please Help, I'm Very Concerned About Him.

Prin
August 20th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Has the vet seen him since the flea treatment? Sometimes they treat for fleas first if they can't figure out what's wrong- sort of the starting point for trial and error. I would go back to the vet and soon- this kitty is suffering. :(

August 20th, 2005, 09:31 PM
I really do not think my cat is suffering. He does not seem uncomfortable. Does anybody have any ideas what could be causing this other than fleas.. he does not have fleas now. If I could take him back to the vet at this time I would.

Prin
August 20th, 2005, 09:34 PM
If you really are concerned about him, you would have already gone to the vet, no? Regardless of money. Seems to me that "Red Abrasion-like Spots On His Skin Above The Tail Area" would not be comfortable.

White Wolf
August 20th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Please bring this pet to the vet. If any situation is getting worse and worse, the pet should definitely be seen. Please come back with an update.