Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Beagles

lma1524
August 19th, 2005, 01:04 PM
I lost my old dog back in February. My other dog suffers from separation anxiety disorder. I adopted a rescue dog, a female beagle, she's a lovely little thing but very aggresive towards other dogs if they are bigger than her and especially unfixed males. She was rescued from the pound after having been dumped there after several litters of pups. It is believed she was caged for most of her life. She is fixed and wasn't housetrained when I got her, however, she went out the doggy door with my other dog and was doing her business out in the garden. However, we have gravel in the yard and she will run on it if chasing something, but wont do her business on it. She has started to do her business on the deck directly outside the door. No amount of coaxing will have her go down to the gravel or to the soil at the rear of the garden. My husband is getting very annoyed as the deck is badly stained and despite putting down Pinesol and washing it off it's beginning to attract flies, besides we like to sit out there when the weather permits. Any suggestions as to why this behaviour has recently developed. Thanks

badger
August 19th, 2005, 01:17 PM
I think you'll have to take her out on a leash for now, instead of just letting her out. Take her to where you want her to go, praise her to the heavens when she does, then straight back in. She'll learn. Perhaps going out in the yard - except for when she's running with the other dog and forgets - is just too scary. Poor thing, thanks for giving her another chance.

Beaglemom
August 19th, 2005, 03:29 PM
I suspect this little baby has been neglected in the past. Thank you for adopting her and giving her a chance. Beagles are wonderful dogs.

I believe she may be showing aggression to larger dogs due to improper socialization. She may have been hurt by a larger dog at one time and now doesn't trust them or she may have never been properly introduced to them when she was a pup. This requires a lot of work and patience, I would recommend a trainer/behaviourist who can help you with this.

As for the going potty on the deck. Dogs will go potty on familiar surfaces. If she has never been properly housebroken but has gone on the same surface her whole life, like tile, cage floor, etc., then that is what she knows and she will go on anything that feels the same. She has probably never been trained to go on grass, concrete, gravel, sand, etc. This will require some work on your part. You will have to treat her almost like a puppy. Take her out on a leash to the spot where you want her to go. Do this when you know she has to go to the bathroom and wait there until she does it. Praise her for doing it and then allow her to play for a bit. This way, she knows she did good.

BMDLuver
August 19th, 2005, 03:30 PM
As Badger said, take her on a leash to the spot you expect her to do her business every single time and praise like heck when she does it.