Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Has Flea Allergy

Copper'sMom
August 19th, 2005, 12:33 PM
I just thought I'd ask if anyone else has this problem with their cat?? My cat CJ has a flea allergy - actually it is from the flea saliva. Every so often she has to go to the vet for a shot of Depomedrol which lasts anywhere from 3 months or longer. Even though, I rarely find fleas on any of my animals, it only takes one bite from a flea to affect her. Her symptoms are: itching, hair loss and thinning, and small scabby patches.

As I allow my cats to go outdoors(her included) and having the dogs go in and out, it is very hard to keep all of them flea ridden. Even using Advantage and what not, doesn't help as the flea still has to bite in order to be killed.

So I was just wondering, anyone else have or had this problem??

happycats
August 19th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Yup! My guy Boowee (pictured below) has the flea allergy, just picture that beautiful long fur, all missing and covered in wheeping crusty rash, and him being just miserable :sad: . I used to use Advantage every month, and it worked great, but since my guys don't go out I havn't had to ues it for about 5 years.

If he even gets 1 flea, he becomes a mess, so I have to be very careful.

Copper'sMom
August 19th, 2005, 04:03 PM
OK! Glad to know CJ isn't the only one! Sometimes, she doesn't need a shot for 6-8 months and sometimes she'll need a shot every 3-4 months! Poor girl. I can always tell very early though when she's due for a shot so I get her in right away to get her some relief!

badger
August 19th, 2005, 04:03 PM
I think that might be the only solution, to keep him inside and to treat your outside cats religiously. My cats have never had a problem with fleas (they go outside as well), for which I am truly grateful.

Boowee is very very cute. Black and whites (tuxedo?) are probably my favourites.