Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

If PitBull ... SPCA, What Happens?

Derek & Jeter
August 19th, 2005, 07:50 AM
In two other forums 2 people want to report pitbull cruelty to SPCA in Ontario. But, one of them thinks that it would be put down or sold to a lab. The other one didn't mention what he thinks will happen, but is considering reporting it. The latter is in a thread where I tried to find a home for another pitbull that I saw at petfinder.

Since they're both chained dogs and it takes a while to investigate cases, I'm assuming it would be after the ban, that they're "rescued?" Any advise?

bluntman
August 19th, 2005, 08:25 AM
I would have to say report it, Pit bulls can still be adopted out for the next few months, But the important thing here is a "chained dog is a ticking time bomb", no matter what breed it is. There is no law against chaining dogs here in Ontario that I'm aware off, as long as they have food,water,shelter . Once again our goverment has missed the mark, and solved nothing. I would feel better if I saw a dog chained, to report it, that way if the dog was in distress, the spca would do somthing about it before this drakonian law comes into full effect.

Derek & Jeter
August 19th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Thanks, I thought it came into full affect on the 29th. I'll pass that on.

Can the person reporting a suspicion get knowledge of the plans or wherabouts of the dog, if its taken from the owner? I'm want to know more so I can educate people I "meet'.

"chained dog is a ticking time bomb", no matter what breed it is
You mean even if it's not trained to be agressive, it's still a time bomb, I assume.

Off Topic: In reply to a letter I wrote to the Humane Society about outside and/or chained dogs, they wrote,
"If the water was frozen for days or the food was contaminated, or the dog had no relief from the sun, then the person would likely receive a warning and could be charged if things didn't improve... It is extremely difficult to prove that a person willfully neglected their animals; therefore many neglect cases are thrown out."
So if a person photographed (with date) the dogs frozen water three days in succession or saw contaminated food with a witness present, dog is skinny or has no shelter, it would at least give the inspectors a reason for a visit. Then, a warning...I REALLY hope Bill C-50 gets passed soon.
:ca: :pawprint:

Schwinn
August 19th, 2005, 09:23 AM
I'm sad to say that even if the dog was put down, it would be better for everyone. If the dog is being abuse, and it does attack, that is going to be more fodder for the idiots at Queen's park. Plus, the dog can't have a very good life. That being said, it depends on the Humane Society, I think. I think some of them have different policies, depending on the town. For example, I know that Toronto is saying they won't kill any, while I think it was Kingston I heard has them put down right away.

At any rate, reporting it to the Humane Society, even in the worse case scenario is the lesser of the two evils.

Derek & Jeter
August 19th, 2005, 09:58 AM
I'm sad to say that even if the dog was put down, it would be better...
In both cases it's neglect (no reports of beatings or the like). I agree with
you.
At any rate, reporting it to the Humane Society, even in the worse case scenario is the lesser of the two evils.

There are worse things than euthanasia (if done properly), the d___ research labs always pop into my mind, from one sad life to another. And that's a whole different topic...I'm going to win the lottery and build sanctuaries all across Canada, I wish :rolleyes:

Thanks guys :)

Copper'sMom
August 19th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Thanks, I thought it came into full affect on the 29th. I'll pass that on.

Please pass this link on!!!!
http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/about/pubs/dola-pubsfty/dola-pubsfty.asp#TOC_04

Check out the title "Acquiring Restricted Pit Bulls after the Ban Comes into Effect"

bluntman
August 19th, 2005, 10:55 AM
You mean even if it's not trained to be agressive, it's still a time bomb, I assume.
Yes, unfortunately that's what can happens to dogs when they are left at the end of a chain for years, they tend to become very agressive, without being trained that way. I think california just passed a law that bans chaining dogs for more than a few hours. Chained dogs are one of the factors in fatal dog attacks.

pitbulliest
August 19th, 2005, 12:57 PM
whoa I think I missed something here. What is Bill 50?

babyrocky1
August 19th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Bill C50 is a bill put forward by the federal liberals tht enhances animal cruelty laws. I believe it is a good bill although I havent had a chance to really go over it cause Im still obcessed with fighting with this, the porivincial one. Bill C50 will not help us with the Evil MB though. Im sure there are others whoknow more specifics about the new federal proposals.

Derek & Jeter
August 19th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Yes, unfortunately that's what can happens to dogs when they are left at the end of a chain for years, they tend to become very agressive, without being trained that way. I think california just passed a law that bans chaining dogs for more than a few hours. Chained dogs are one of the factors in fatal dog attacks.
Yes, L.A. did - in the Newsclipping forum. Dogsdeservebetter always use that fact/stat when they lobby for a ban on tethering or chaining - it's banned in seven (I think) cities now. They have 2 reps in Canada both in Ontario.
Erieau, Ontario
Doris Sikora 519.676.3476 e-mail doe.shelby@sympatico.ca
Windsor, Ontario
Brenda Rollo 519.251.9547 e-mail poundkeeper2004@yahoo.ca

pitbulliest,

If the water was frozen for days or the food was contaminated, or the dog had no relief from the sun, then the person would likely receive a warning and could be charged if things didn't improve. This will not change under Bill C-50. The important thing that will change in C-50 is the removal of the word 'willful' with regard to neglect. This a very significant change that will close a large loophole in the current law. It is extremely difficult to prove that a person willfully neglected their animals; therefore many neglect cases are thrown out. ~ Humane Society

Bill C-50 had first reading last March. It's an improved version of Bill 17 or 22. But Sen Bryden has Bill S-24 coming up to 3rd reading. It's inferior and does not remove the word willfull. Senator Bryden and some fellow senators have problems with Bill C-50, so they're trying to get 24 passed first. They think it might hurt sports hunting etc. Sen. Irwin Cotler (the author of Bill C-50 and Min of Justice) should be back in Sept. Most animal websites want people to write in support of C-50, not S-24.

Bill C-50 - http://www.parl.gc.ca/legisinfo/index.asp?Lang=E&Chamber=C&StartList=2&EndList=200&Session=13&Type=0&Scope=I&query=4490&List=toc
Bill S-24 - http://www.parl.gc.ca/legisinfo/index.asp?Lang=E&Chamber=S&StartList=2&EndList=1000&Session=13&Type=0&Scope=I&query=4396&List=toc

:ca: :pawprint: :pawprint:

pitbulliest
August 22nd, 2005, 08:44 PM
Depends on where you are located and which "shelter" you report it to. Toronto Humane Society is a NO KILL shelter....Etobicoke Humane Society and Toronto Animal Control are both Kill Shelters...and Toronto Animal Control DOES send some of their dogs and cats to labs..just to warn you guys before you call them to pick up an animal...either that, or they put it to sleep after 7 days (might be 5 now, not 100 percent sure)...OSPCA is a kill shelter too I believe..they have a longer waiting period and I don't think they send pets to labs...but don't quote me on that..the best place for cruelty investigation is the THS...only because they don't send anything to any lab, and they have a no kill policy...

Anywho, hope that was somewhat helpful.