Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Picture of Puppy - what is he?

puppy4ever
August 18th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Went to visit Freeway again today! It was difficult to get a good shot because of the other 3 puppies tearing my shoes apart! LOL

His mother is GSD/Corgi mix but the fathers breed is unknown. Unfortunately I have only one picture for now. Any guesses about the fathers breed? Maybe a boy with a short tail and floppy ears?

It was a good day! :)

StaceyB
August 18th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Could be an Aussie
(Australian Shepherd)

puppy4ever
August 18th, 2005, 05:53 PM
This is still pretty new to me sorry...is an Aussie an Australian Cattle Dog?

happycats
August 18th, 2005, 06:02 PM
He is stil so young, so it's hard o tell. Maybe Lab, but his face kind of looks like a Beagle to me :)

the gang
August 18th, 2005, 06:33 PM
looks like a min pin to me

puppy4ever
August 18th, 2005, 06:33 PM
I thot he might have some lab in there too...beagle would be wonderful but lab is probably more likely. I might have big doggie soon! :)

I can see the miniture pincher too!

Puppyluv
August 18th, 2005, 06:46 PM
I know this is no help to your search for info, but: What a cutie!!!!!!

puppy4ever
August 18th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Thanks! I fell in love with him right away...it's difficult to be away from him. I've already visited 3 times and plan to visit again soon. It's becoming obsessive...don't want to miss out on his puppyhood!

His mom looked really different than him. I can't even see the resemblance. Do puppies change a lot as they get older? How about their coat? His mom had much longer hair.

puppy4ever
August 18th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Could be an Aussie
(Australian Shepherd)

OMG! :eek: I think that is the breed!!! I think when I first heard about them I saw Corgi/Shepherd and I thought German Shepherd because that is what they looked like but when I saw their mom she looked nothing like a German Shepherd and now it clicks. She looks like an Aussie ;) I need to ask more questions! Thanks Stacie!!!

Freyja
August 18th, 2005, 08:34 PM
I have been out to Cochrane and saw your puppy. They are very cute!! The pups are not in the same pen as the mom. Mom has weaned them and she is up for adoption. Is the reason that you can't take them home right away because of socialization?

puppy4ever
August 18th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Freeway has an appointment to get neutered around August 25th I think. I'm not sure why he can't come home before that and just go back for surgery. They must have a good reason.

Did you see Venus, the puppies mom? She has longish black and white hair. After what Stacey said, I think she is an Aussie..I found a Aussie Mix Pic! He looks a lot like Freeway!

http://aussierescue.leepfrog.com/d/o/do-1-GsPM.jpg

Lissa
August 18th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Just curious - why is he stadning back there all by himself while his siblings are attacking you??!?! :rolleyes:

He MUST be better behaved ;) ! What a good puppy! :pawprint:

puppy4ever
August 18th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Just curious - why is he stadning back there all by himself while his siblings are attacking you??!?! :rolleyes:

He MUST be better behaved ;) ! What a good puppy! :pawprint:

LOL!! Why Yes!!! He barks less, is friendlier, cuter AND wiser than all his siblings! Oh and he's a member of mensa too. Hehe. Yeah I've got the mommy thing going on! :D

They are all sweeites and he does bites pretty hard too!

Today he wasn't even standing to eat...but was lying on his tummy with his paws sprawled on each side of the food dish! I wish I got a shot of that one to share!

Puppyluv
August 18th, 2005, 09:38 PM
LOL another "unbiased" mommy oppinion huh? He sure sounds like a darling! It sure sounds like he will be well loved :love:

Prin
August 19th, 2005, 01:18 AM
I think I'm gonna wait till he is bigger to venture a guess... What breed has those eyebrows? It's on the tip of my tongue. Is it the Australian Shep that has those? :crazy: G'nite! :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 19th, 2005, 07:32 AM
I have no idea, but he is cute, does he not have a tail or is it just hiding in the first picture. The one above his puppy tummy is very cute. Hope you enjoy him.

BMDLuver
August 19th, 2005, 07:47 AM
He's absolutely adorable! No wonder you are such a proud mom. If he does have aussie in him, he doesn't look like he's going to have a particuliarly long coat. Aussie's are great dogs but then I'm kind of biased about them.

nymph
August 19th, 2005, 10:55 AM
He is absolutely ADORABLE! Wait until he's a little bit older to post another photo, too young to tell what he really is.

puppy4ever
August 19th, 2005, 01:15 PM
I guess you can't tell much with him being a puppy...will post when he is older as well.

He has a funny stubby tail as you can see in the picture. I'm pretty positive that came from his dad. Only one out of the five pups I saw there had a long tail.

Very true Prin! :) It is the eyebrows! I'm actually pretty excited that he might have Australian Shep. in him! He will prolly be smart as a whip! And maybe really active too.

babyrocky1
August 19th, 2005, 10:01 PM
OOH hi is just soo cute!!!congratulations...I dont know what he is but Cute, cutey cutest!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 20th, 2005, 07:34 AM
:)
Nymph

He is absolutely ADORABLE! Wait until he's a little bit older to post another photo, too young to tell what he really is.

:) the most important thing is he is adorable please don't wait until he is older to post more photos. :)

puppy4ever
August 20th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Thank you all!

I didn't get what you were talking about the tummy JoeyMommy, until now! I just looked back at that link I posted and understand. LOL. That puppy has such a cute tummy! Actually looks like a double tummy. :)

The humane society left a message yesterday and said we could pick Freeway up today! I'm so excited. My husband and I have been wanting a pup/dog now for many years so this is going to be very special day. :party:

Lots of work ahead!

Prin
August 20th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Good luck. Don't forget to come back here all the time to post new pics!! :)

doggy lover
August 24th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Aus Shep have nubs and no tail, did his mum have a tail she might have been a Border collie or a cross being black and white with a longer fur? Yes mix dogs change alot and normally after about 6 months of age. Here is a pic of my last dog as a pup and when he was grown, really he doesn't look like the same dog.

doggy lover
August 24th, 2005, 09:16 AM
This was as an adult, we lost him last year to cancer.

puppy4ever
August 24th, 2005, 09:42 AM
I'm sorry to hear about the cancer...beautiful, friendly looking boy.

Wow! He looks totally different as a puppy...guess that makes sense as we don't look the same as a babies either. I don't really remember his mom (wish I took a picture before as she is adopted now) but I think she had a long tail. I know she had black and white longer fur. She was very sweet and a little shy I think.

I asked again about him and his mom but they said at the Human Society that they thought maybe the mom a corgi cross because she had short legs and there are several corgis on the Native Reservation where whe was surrendered from. They also thought Freeway's colouring looked German Shepherd which I think is the case.

I really have no idea what he is now. I wish there was a good way to tell how big he will grow...only time will tell I guess.

doggy lover
August 24th, 2005, 10:09 AM
He is beautiful no matter what mix he is.

Prin
August 24th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Wow doggy lover, that's a huge difference!! He's got good eyes though. The kind of eyes that say he's had a good life. :)

doggy lover
August 24th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Thanks Prin there will never be another dog like him, he was special.

babyrocky1
August 25th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Oh he is truley beautiful Doggie Lover, so sorry for your loss!