Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Training

StaceyB
August 18th, 2005, 06:31 PM
I have noticed over the years that there has been an increase in those seeking professional obedience training for their dogs. All I know is what I have seen so I am curious to find out how high it actually is.
Thanks

shannon1233A
August 18th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Waiting to vote to see what kind of training you want to know about? Shannon was Obedience trained, while Kenzie is Trained for Conformation (Show), we used different methods for each. :) One was group, one was not.

Byrd
August 18th, 2005, 06:54 PM
I did home training for the most part, but want to get Willow into Flyball and will need professional training for that.

StaceyB
August 18th, 2005, 06:56 PM
I looking more to see obedience instead of conformation for this one.

I had some trouble with this poll thing and had changed the wording in one of them to say obedience. I didn't realize that this wasn't the one. I have changed the wording.

Roxy's_MA
August 18th, 2005, 06:59 PM
I have been home training for now. I just signed up for obedience, I think me and Roxy could both learn alot more. I basically use books to train her right now, but there are a few minor problems I would like proffessional help with. We start obedience/clicker training on September 18th.

db7
August 18th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Obedience work at home, field work with a private trainer.

Lucky Rescue
August 18th, 2005, 08:47 PM
I took Chloe to obedience school. It was fun, and I figured we both had a lot to learn!:)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 18th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Joey will be going to obedience training and we work at home as well. On some of his "issues"

Writing4Fun
August 18th, 2005, 09:33 PM
I find that the folks on this site are all for professional training, but that may not show a realistic picture of what's going on out in the "real world". ;) I belong to a non-pet group that has an "off-topic - pet related" section, and I can't believe some of the stuff these people come up with. There are two people there right now who are having issues with their dogs peeing in the house, and their main concern is getting the smell out of the carpet - NOT training the dogs not to pee in the house anymore. "They're just being naughty" is the answer I get when I ask what the situation is. :confused:

StaceyB
August 18th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Well it sounds like they will have a very stinky house for a very long time.

Puppyluv
August 18th, 2005, 09:59 PM
I did puppy classes more for socialization than anything else, and then a second level group, and then after that did private obediance training for any other issues. That's the same for my family's dogs too, except that Layla didn't need very much private training, whereas our Belgian, Mia needed (and still does) a lot of it.

Lissa
August 18th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Dodger and I have taken both basic and intermediate obedience in a professional group class scenario.

We have also taken pre-agility classes in a group environment.

We are signed up for a couple of advanced obedience courses in the fall.

There is also the possibility of taking a reality dog training course and super dog course - which are more for fun then anything else!

I don't want to burn Dodger out but we may also take a couple of the following: flyball, tracking, rally-o, skijoring, weight pulling/sledding and of course more agility in the near future.

All of which will be taken in group classes. Every once and a while one-on-one help sounds like a nice idea but I think that group classes have that much more to offer! :) !

gdamadg
August 18th, 2005, 11:20 PM
Sprint is home trained, and all the basics were done when I got him. For the most part. I am planning on us attending obedience training. I am currently researching for a provider in my area and what type to put him in. He can be a stubborn lil.......... sometimes. I figure for everything else I am willing to take a course, why is it different for training my best friend.

StaceyB
August 18th, 2005, 11:27 PM
I occasionally have had people come in from there, I guess there must be little available there.

StaceyB
August 18th, 2005, 11:28 PM
Dogs love routine and also a job so if you supply both you will have a happy pooch.

Shannon1215
August 19th, 2005, 01:17 AM
We did a basic puppy class and an advanced class with Abby (each was three weeks/one session per week). At "graduation," they took down the phone numbers of anyone who was interested in a higher-level class, and I said I would definitely sign her up. The trainer said they would likely call in two months (the last class was almost a month ago) and start signing dogs up, so I'm hoping enough people enroll to get a class started. Abby had a blast interacting with the other dogs (and the trainers), and I learned a lot. I sometimes wonder if she misses the dog I jokingly referred to as her "archnemesis," this really sweet dog who for some reason singled Abby out as a "sparring partner" and was continually taking Abby down a peg or two, much to Abby's delight -- she loved rolling around with Isabel!). I think I learned more than she did in the classes, but it was good for socialization. She seems comfortable around other dogs, and definitely not fearful! No matter how big or intimidating looking another dog is, Abby wants to play.

Jackie467
August 19th, 2005, 01:28 AM
Candi is home trained. I'v never had a dog that attended formal training. All our dogs were trained very well, but we took a lot of time with them. I think it all depends on the dog and whether or not the owner is experinced.

Prin
August 19th, 2005, 01:42 AM
I belong to a non-pet group that has an "off-topic - pet related" sectionWow- it's like an alternate universe? :D

Boo was/is home trained. Jemma was robo-trained before we got her (previous owner brought her to private classes). If they come with training, great, but otherwise, I can train the basics pretty well, so I do it myself.

I think I'm better at figuring out why dogs aren't listening than why they are, so I grew up basically working with trial and error till I got the doggy to understand what I wanted.

I can teach Boo a new trick in about 3 tries. Jemma is very hard to crack. I've never had such a dominant and submissive doggy in one before and it's very hard to work with. She gets upset very easily. :(

gomez
August 19th, 2005, 05:21 AM
We went for the puppy classes, 8 weeks, and doing home training as well, but now looking into an entry-level obedience class, then I wanted to try agility, maybe that will tire him out!!

BMDLuver
August 19th, 2005, 08:34 AM
I've attended obedience classes for auditing purposes but have never been to one with my dogs through the years. I would like to try one with a future dog as I think the training techniques are far more towards the positive side now. For a long time, in this area, you did not have positive options. I do consult a trainer if I have a behaviour I can't work out myself.

It's odd actually because I have been training in the dressage discipline almost my whole life... why not in the canine department? Something to think about now, lol.

Beaglemom
August 19th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Misty had formal group obedience training when she was a year old (8 years ago). This was done more because she had had an incident with a Boxer and needed to start feeling comfortable around large dogs again. I spoke to a trainer and the best thing for her was to have her trained amongst large dogs to get her confidence back up. We did just that and now she loves large dogs.

I like the group classes because it allows for socialization. I believe that basic training can be done at home with experienced dog owners. First time owners or those experiencing problems would greatly benefit from a professional training class.

shannon1233A
August 19th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Continuous training is important I think for body and soul! :D

jessi76
August 19th, 2005, 10:10 AM
We enrolled Tucker in puppy playschool at 12 weeks, socialization for him, and basic puppy info for us... then we started basic obedience at 13wks, and we're at the tail end of it now. After this we'll start level 2 training. It's group training, but the classes are very small, so we all get a bit of one on one with the instructor. We also get homework to continue the training at home, since class only meets 1x/week. We plan to continue with agility once he completes levels 1 & 2 obedience. As long as we can afford it, we will continue to take him to group classes. He simply loves it. (and I really like having a happy, obedient, and tired pup!)

Rottielover
August 19th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Harley has done puppy K...then off to real school he went. did basic...Then companion .....We are now waiting for companion Pro to start in Sept. Until then he is working on his OB at home. He will be going for his CGN in 3 weeks, do not know if we are both ready, but if we fail, at least we will have a huge idea what we have to work on.

nymph
August 19th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Professional training was the best thing that happened to Diego and me, God knows I needed more training than he did. LOL

We went through puppy school and will definitely go for another round of training later on. He got to play with 5 other puppies, about the same age and different personalitis, it was very fun and rewarding.

gdamadg
August 20th, 2005, 08:43 PM
StaceyB,

So far I have only found one trainer, but I am wondering about the whole "Pitbull" thing. Having the consent of the trainer and the owner of the facility to remove his muzzle is one thing. But what about the other participants in the classes? Would private classes be a better idea? This then adds to the lack of socialization. I heard about a local dog club that meets on fridays, but I am still looking into it. I travel into Ottawa frequently on weekends. Perhaps it would be easier to find something there.

StaceyB
August 20th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Personally I have seen that the majority of students in classes are usually ok with pit bulls. It would depend on the place in which it is held. The ones held in pet stores will have to abide to the laws. I think you should be able to find one that suits you.

gdamadg
August 20th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Thanks, I believe these classes are held at a community center.

mona_b
August 21st, 2005, 09:48 PM
I did all the training with all my dogs.I made sure they were well socialized.This started when they were 3 months old.I took them everywhere I could.I got them used to all the sites and sounds of everyday life.This included thunderstorms,and fireworks.Something Tron definately needed to get used to.

kandy
August 23rd, 2005, 01:10 PM
Our first newf was professionally obedience trained (group training). Now that Hazel is 6 months, she is eligible to start with obedience training. Although she already knows sit, stay, come, lay down, shake - I like the idea of the group training because of the socialization aspect.

If I find a behavior that I can't remedy for some reason, I would have no problem going for a one on one session with a trainer.