Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Matty jumping on people

sprayeddog
August 18th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Hi all,

First of all, an update on Matty as I haven't posted for a few weeks now.

Matty's barking problem is all but gone. He still barks from time to time when he's frustrated, but no more barking at 3am when we're trying to sleep. He basically just grew out of it, and I guess he's getting used to the schedule that he knows it's time to sleep when it's still dark outside, and until our alarm clock goes off we won't really play with him no matter what he does.

Matty walks a lot better than before too. We've been practising the 'stay close' drill as per tenderfoot and he rarely pulls on his leash now. We actually get praises from people on how well behaved Matty is at such a young age.

There are still a few problems though.

1. Matty likes to jump on people, dogs, kids
He doesn't usually jump on me, and whenever he does that, a couple firm "NO!"s usually settle him down. He jumps on my wife a lot more, and he jumps on our guests, kids, other dogs etc etc. We try to make him sit before he encounters the guest / othe dog, but as soon as the guest is within 'shooting range' he'll jump at the guest.

I've asked the guests to hold a cookie in their hand and ask him to sit before they give it to him, and that does the trick most of the times, but as soon as he gets the cookie he starts jumping again.

I've been doing this trick and you guys can tell me if this actually helps: I'll hold a toy or a treat or just use my hand to move back and forth above his head. At first he'd have an intention to jump up and nip the cookie / toy, but then I'll tell him "No jumping" ... when he finally stops jumping I'll award him with the treat or the toy. Will this teach him not to jump?

2. Matty is still nippy
Again, Matty doesn't usually get mouthy with me. The only time he'd actually bite me is when we're playing tug-of-war and he bites my finger by mistake cos it's hidden behind the rope from him and he isn't careful with it.

But he gets pretty nippy with my wife. He'd jump up on the sofa when we're watching TV, he'd start biting on her clothes, her fingers, and her hair. We'll tell him "no", put him back down on the floor, and ask him to sit before we play with him and greet him. But immediately after that he'll start all over again.

Everytime after he bites us (accidentally or not) we'll go "Ouch", and then turn away from him and ignore him for a while. Sometimes if it gets bad we'll even leave the room, but he's still nipping.

Can I expect him to eventually grow out of it or am I not doing enough to teach him?

3. Matty likes to jump up on furnitures
There are forbidden places that Matty's not allowed to get on, and that includes ths sofa and our bed. Whenever he jumps on it we'll tell him "No", put him back down and tell him to sit. When he does, we'll play with him and praise him.

It'll only take a few minutes until he starts jumping again.

Is there a drill that I can do to teach him not to jump up / get into the forbidden area?

Thanks!

jessi76
August 18th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Ya know, I was just wondering how Matty was doing the other day - thanks for coming with an update! Sounds like you're making great progress!!! As for the jumping, I'm going through the same thing with my 5mth old pup... I literally just did a search in the Training forum for jumping, and found a post by Tenderfoot for teaching the OFF command.

Here's a link: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=11772&highlight=jumping

Post #14 by Tenderfoot. I hope this helps!

StaceyB
August 18th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Jumping up, verbal cue "off"

There are three different methods that you can use, each for a different jump.
Jumping on strangers. You should be working on proper greeting techniques as well and don't depend on a stranger to know what to do and to do it properly. When greeting have your dog on leash, place into a sit position and stand on the excess leash. If your dog tries to jump up, cue off but he/she will be unable to make the jump. Set up in sit and try again. Don't let the stranger pet/greet unless your dog remains in the sit position. Once there is success praise. Make the greetings quick in the beginning but you can do many of them, even with the same person. To work on the no jumping when on leash by yourself, get your dog all excited to the point where they would try to jump. By getting stopped, they will usually only try afew times before they would rather sit, praise for the sit.
Jumping on you when not on leash. Do the excitement thing again and when your dog begins to jump up turn your body and say off so your dog falls to the side and doesn't connect with the jump. Again a few tries with this and they will rather sit, praise. Don't push your dog away with hands or feet. This turns into a game too quickly and whatever you do don't knee them in the chest because you may injure them.
Jumping on furniture. You can do this a couple of ways depending on whether you want to use treats or not. If using treats, place the treat up to the nose and direct off the furniture by luring the treat/toy, cue off, praise and treat. If you are not using a treat, connect to leash and gently direct off. Include your off verbal cue.
Hope this helps.

StaceyB
August 18th, 2005, 02:33 PM
In regards to the nipping and what you have described it sounds as if he is getting exactly what he wants. I would continue to practice your techniques but there needs to be more time between the correction and the start of play. He needs to know that you decide when it is time to play. Whoever he is doing this to needs to be the one who corrects.

Make sure he is getting enough exercise this will make all the difference.

sprayeddog
August 18th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Thanks folks.

Matty is doing fine ... he's gained quite a bit of weight and grown a lot. Last time I posted the photos he was ~ 15 lbs. He's almost 30 lbs now and is as big as my parents' 9 years old beagle (Toby). Being a lab, he's as energetic as you can imagine. Even though Matty doesn't always know the manners and sometimes it frustrates us, but he carries the Lab traits very well and is always very friendly and very passionate. The other day we went to the park and let him off leash and wander around a bit. When we called his name he immediately started running towards us like the happiest dog on earth and that just made our day. I'll post some more pic's when I get a chance later on.

Yes I do use treats to teach Matty to go off sofa's. When he jumps on the sofa, I tell him to "OFF", and it takes a while but when he finally comes off the sofa I give him the treat.

But this doesn't seem to be working ...not yet anyways. After getting the treat he'll jump back on the sofa in a matter of seconds, and I'll have to tell him to go "OFF" again, and once again he gets the treat. Some days I wonder if he thinks this is a way to get treats (jump up on the sofa just for the sake of being told to go OFF and get a treat) ... am I doing the right thing? Or do I just need to have more patience and repeat this same exercise?

To get Matty to not jump on us ... I read tenderfoot's reply but I don't really understand what she means by "pop the palms" ... I do turn my back on him everytime he tries to jump on me, and ask him to sit (with my back facing him). When he finally sits (and I'll have to guess, cos I can't really see him) then I turn around and greet / play with him.

StaceyB
August 18th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Face him when you give your cues. Sounds like he has figured you out. Do the same for the initial off, praise and redirect to have him do something else. Settle on a mat. Don't repeat your verbal cues, if you are saying more than once he will learn it that way. Teaching especially a young puppy to stay off furniture needs to be clear. If you don't want him on it then you need to correct every time. You can't say yes sometimes and no at other times. If it is no, it must always be no otherwise it is too confusing.

jessi76
August 19th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Some days I wonder if he thinks this is a way to get treats (jump up on the sofa just for the sake of being told to go OFF and get a treat) ... am I doing the right thing? Or do I just need to have more patience and repeat this same exercise?

Just a suggestion, you could use other items instead of treats. We got our puppy a few "special" toys. Toys that he's only allowed to have once in a while, that way they remain very special to him. When he listens and obeys a command, we give the toy, then we have an opportunity to reinforce other behaviors such as DROP IT. We alternate between treats, toys, and pats/belly rubs.

Definately post some updated pics of Matty when you get a chance, we'd love to see him!