Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs in the tropics?

gomez
August 18th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Does anyone here live in a tropical* climate?

How well do hairy dogs do in the tropics, does size make a difference?

Like little hairy Gomez, would he be uncomfortable?

*by tropical I mean somewhere really hot, could be the desert, I suppose, or would humidity make a difference?

oh and obviously the indoors would have aircon...

thanks

BMDLuver
August 18th, 2005, 09:22 AM
I can't answer with regards to dog but can relate experience with horses.

Horses adapt to the environment around them. Many travel between Canada and Florida yearly for racing or jumper careers. I also know of several Warmbloods who now live in Bermuda and adapted to the climate quite well. It's the initial first few weeks where care is particuliarly required to ensure that they are not becoming dehydrated or heat stroked. Some people start by providing electrolytes in the water before the move to help with this.

Clear as mud? :o

mona_b
August 18th, 2005, 10:04 AM
As one who travels to the tropics,Bahamas,Mexico(mostly)and St.Lucia,I can say that the dogs there seem to adjust very well.They are used to the hot weather.They stay in the shade,or are kept in the house.I have met many beautiful dogs on my travels to those places.And yes quite a few are small and harry..... :D

As for the horses,BMD is right.I have done the horseback riding in those places.And trust me,Mexico can get VERY hot.My sister and I took and all day excursion in the mountains when we were in Puerta Vallarta.Don't worry,we did stop and and hike to a beautiful waterfall,were we had a BBQ,refreshments and beer... :D The horses did fine.We even had leaders 2 Rotties and mutt joined us.They stayed with the horses. :)

Puppyluv
August 18th, 2005, 10:05 AM
We have a house in Accapulco, (I'm not sure if this is as hot as you're thinking, but its around 35-40 degrees) We've never taken our dogs down there, but some of our neighbours have golden retrievers, labs, and other fairly heavy-coated dogs. They all adapt pretty quickly to the heat, so long as there is enough water for them to drink, and none of them have had any adverse health effects from the heat.

Kariia
August 18th, 2005, 10:11 AM
It's not exactly the tropics here, but it has been like 35... The dogs and cat are fine.

Chow Chows, Poms and Persians are pretty hairy, if you ask me. xD

gomez
August 18th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Actually, Puppyluv, I was thinking precisely Acapulco!

I am originally from Mexico, where I also used to have a horse, but in the city, but never a dog, so I am glad to hear that Gomez would be able to adjust nicely!

It's been very warm in London this past week and Gomez seems fine, but a bit more quiet than usual, we have no a/c here, you see :mad: and when we're out on walks he takes it very easy...

Gracias very much for the responses!

Puppyluv
August 18th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Wow small world :p
Have fun with Gomez down there!!