Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ever heard of giving a dog children's vitamins?

Prin
August 18th, 2005, 12:08 AM
A friend of mine was told by her not so reliable breeder that she should give children's vitamins to her minpin while she is growing.

Is this nuts? Anybody heard this before? Anything good coming out of this? What is the alternative? I say food, but are there any better vitamins for pups?

coppperbelle
August 18th, 2005, 07:09 AM
I don't know about child vitamins for dogs. I actually have never head of this. Kids and dogs have different needs I would think.
There are vitamins for puppies, at least there use to be.

the gang
August 18th, 2005, 08:41 AM
i have 3 min pins , i too hasked about this to my vet, she sayed no, there is plenty in the puppy food, hope this helps :pawprint:

Prin
August 18th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Thanks both of you. I appreciate your replies. :) The first thing that popped into my head was that kids and puppies don't grow the same at all, and would need different concentrations of vitamins, and then I thought- what about kidney stones? If they are getting too much of a synthetic compound, wouldn't it form kidney stones??

Not good, I think.

StaceyB
August 18th, 2005, 01:34 PM
I will see if I can find the info but giving a dog certain ones can cause severe health probs.

ILoveMutts!
August 18th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Dogs and children have different dietary requirements and children's vitamins have different concentrations of vitamins and minerals depending on brand. The only way to be safe is to check the quantity of each vitamin in the formula against the maximum safe dosage per weight unit for dogs.

I have googled but wasn't able to find any recommended or maximum vitamin dosages for dogs. I don't even know if the effects of vitamin supplementation on dogs have been researched at all. Yet there are doggie supplements on the market and there are multivitamin mixtures added in many dog foods, so the manufacturers of those products must be using some sort of guidelines.

An alternative would be to give human grade whole food supplements like cod liver oil (rich in fat soluble vitamins) and dried brewer's yeast (rich in b-complex vitamins).