Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lacey not well(driveway dog)

mom of rotties
August 17th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Hi hope to get some advice. Lacey the dog found on our driveway yesterday is now refusing to eat and has very runny stool. To add to that she is throwing up what appears to be thick mucus. She is going to the vet tommorow, but I thought with all you animal lovers out there you might have some ideas about this. The eating part I can understand new food, new house. I also know that she could have eaten just about anything while roaming around outside. I have never seen this type of vomiting in a dog . Any thoughts would be great. Maybe some things I could ask the vet that I don't know about.

badger
August 17th, 2005, 11:46 PM
Do you know how long she was wandering around? It could easily be some garbage she ate out there and her system is just trying to purify itself. Or the idiots who dumped her fed her crap. Or she's got a bad case of worms that they wouldn't pay to have treated. I hope the vet can figure it out quickly, these gastric things are such a pain (especially for the dog :)). Good luck tomorrow!

BMDLuver
August 18th, 2005, 06:51 AM
I'm not sure how old Lacey is but if she's young it could be Parvovirus or Leptospirosis... could be lyme disease... there's kind of quite a few things it could be. I would just share her symptoms with the vet and let him/her go from there as to what it might be. I'm sorry she's ill. Thanks so much for helping her.

Melinda
August 18th, 2005, 07:17 AM
if it were lepto, the dogs belly would be swollen with fluids.

BMDLuver
August 18th, 2005, 08:02 AM
if it were lepto, the dogs belly would be swollen with fluids.
I'll have to research that... we had a chocolate lab with Lepto and I don't recall the swollen stomach although he was vomitting quite a large amount of fluids which might explain why he wasn't swollen? :confused:

lezzpezz
August 18th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Oh dear.....hang in there....she needs you. I think we all now know why the previous owners ditched her.....just pass the problem on to someone else....idiots.....

Please keep us posted! We are all pulling for you guys! :grouphug:

Melinda
August 18th, 2005, 09:12 AM
I'll have to research that... we had a chocolate lab with Lepto and I don't recall the swollen stomach although he was vomitting quite a large amount of fluids which might explain why he wasn't swollen? :confused:
My beautiful Daisy's waist grew to 42 inches, she was a 16 inch waisted dog. She hung on for almost a year out of shear determination and the care of 5 vets, diretics took care of her belly, her and 2 other dogs in Ontario contacted this disease, she was studied by cornell (sp?) university, they followed her progress, they said the lepto missed her kidney and attacked the liver and this was why the swollen belly, Daisy and the two others in Ontario is the reason the lepto serum is now made in Canada and not imported from the USA where their lepto strain is a bit different than ours, so please, if your dog in Canada, received the lepto vaccine more than two years ago, have them redone. :pawprint:

BMDLuver
August 18th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Oh Melinda, that's so sad. I know I swear by the vaccine after seeing how sick it can make a dog. :sad:

mom of rotties
August 18th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Well we are back from the vet. On physical exam she is healthy. The vet took blood, urine and I will have to collect a stool sample. Should have some results back Friday or Monday. She was given her shots and needs a good brushing.The vet does not think it is anything to serious but better to be safe than sorry.Might just be her getting rid of garbage in her system and the new food. I also think that the water might have something to do with it. We are on well water and if not used to it it can have repercussions. So as of right now things look good. But I do have another question if I may. Do females tend to get along better or worse than a mix of male/female. Lacey seems to get her hackles up alot.Could also be adjusting but I thought I would ask.

StaceyB
August 18th, 2005, 03:34 PM
She may just need some good socializing, she may not have had any. You wouldn't have noticed this at first because she was scared. These behaviours need to be dealt with right away or they may get worse. You don't usually see the true personality of a dog until the third week you have them. You will start to see bits and pieces as she becomes more comfortable in your home.

nymph
August 18th, 2005, 03:57 PM
What an angel you are to help out this poor baby! :angel:

I believe a female/female combination is the worst, female/male works best.

coppperbelle
August 18th, 2005, 08:20 PM
I just wanted to tell you that you are wonderful for taking in this dog. She certainly went to the right driveway. Something drew her there.

Well water is a killer on my stomach so you are probably right.

I have always had female/female until last year. They got along well but there was an occasional tiff. I now have a female/male. These two get along as if they were meant for each other. They play together, sleep together and eat side by side. Never has either growled at the other dog.

I think it has a lot to do with personality. You can have a dominate female and a submissive male.

Give her time to adjust. She will need a space of her own for a few days as she is probably exhausted and very stressed.

mom of rotties
August 18th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Thanks everyone for all the info and help.I hope that the two girls figure things out. Time will tell, so far is seems that Lacey is really mean outside in the yard. Needless to say they go out alone so they will do their business and no fighting. Betsy is really laid back so maybe she just needs to get a little more assertive. I will work with both so my home is not filled with choas. She is very attached to my son. He keeps telling me that she was sent from my parents(both deceased)a gift from the stars.Makes me tear up every time he says that.

nymph
August 19th, 2005, 09:11 AM
awwwww, now this brought tears to my eyes as well.

:angel: :angel:

savannah
August 19th, 2005, 10:13 AM
I am no expert, but i think it is best that Betsy is laid back, if Lacey is more dominant. I recall that 2 dominant female dogs can spell trouble. It will probably be hard for you to see Betsy get bullied (if she does that is) but hang in there.
Thanks again for giving Lacey a chance at life!

justncase
August 19th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Can someone explain the logic of this to me? Lacey was described as "refusing to eat and has very runny stool. To add to that she is throwing up what appears to be thick mucus. " and yet the next day, at the vets, she received " her shots". I assume that means vaccinations. Aren't vaccinations kind of hard on the system of a sick dog? I mean a dog is already sick, and with vaccinations , a virus(killed or not) is injected into the bloodstream and a this dog's immune system must already be pretty low to be sick so isn't this kind of hard on the dog? I wondered about the practise of doing that, then I read a book by Dr. Allen Schoen, MVSC and he stated never to vaccinate the sick, the old and the very young.

mom of rotties
August 19th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Justincase...I had know idea that was the case. Maybe I should have held off on the vacs but I assumed that the vet knew what he was doing.

I have never heard of this before, mind you I have never been in this situation . She seems to be doing better stool is getting firmer and has only thrown up once today and it appears to be more liqiudy than before. She has started eating although not alot but I see some as better than none. If she does have problems with the vacs should I be on the look out for anything in particular. I will be calling the vet to find out what he says about this.Thanks for the info.

justncase
August 19th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Re :
"should I be on the look out for anything in particular"

Yes, a sicker dog. One that is vomiting, has diarrhea, lethargy, inability to eat......... kind of what you have now.

mastifflover
August 19th, 2005, 06:35 PM
I hope Lacey is doing better. I would keep her on a diet of boiled rice and boiled chicken, this will give her system a chance to get balanced out then you can switch her to a good quality dog food. You are so sweet to give her a loving home and I am sure she will let you know how much.