Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Petstore opened up in Vernon

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 17th, 2005, 06:19 PM
A new petstore (not sure if I should post the sight or it is a big franchise in the US and Canada) opened up in Vernon a few weeks ago. According to their website they provide homes for homeless dogs, cats and puppies. The dogs they had looked like designer dogs to me and there were no adults in the store. There was a daschund, basset mix, a JRT, ****za-poo, and a few other puppies as well in aqauriums. The sign on the glass said something to the effect of "don't bang on the glass as these animals have had a long trip to get here and are very tired." If they are adopting out homeless or unwanted animals they shouldn't have to travel far, I know there is lots in town at the shelter and in the paper.

I guess once they leave the mill they are technically homeless until someone buys them?

MIA
August 17th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Go in, pretend to be interested and find out where they are from, one you know that I can probably tell you! If they traveled a long way that would hint to me that they are from a broker or mill.... Sad as we already have enough homeless animals in BC...

www.nopuppymillscanada.ca

dogznfish
August 18th, 2005, 05:22 PM
A large chain pet store in my hometown has an area for adoptable dogs. However, I have heard that the local shelter and rescues are unhappy with how the dogs are left unsupervised in a large run area together and the fact that every time they went for a meet & greet people complained about how filthy the run was. The local groups no longer provide dogs for adoption there for this reason. Now this store has decided to team up with a rescue several hours away and brings those dogs here. If that is the case, you could always inquire with the local shelter or rescues and find out how these animals are getting there.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 18th, 2005, 06:29 PM
I havent inquired as of yet to these dogs, but they are 900 a piece which leads me to believe they are mill dogs, as that is way too much to pay if it is a rescue, unless it is a rescue for rich people. :)

StaceyB
August 18th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Dogs from shelters never cost that much. Inquire what rescue/shelter they came from, if it is up & up they will have no problem telling you.

Pomermaniac
August 18th, 2005, 07:42 PM
I'm pretty sure that these are puppy mill dogs...(read my parvo post from today--we have one here too!!)

I work at a shelter here and we refuse to provide dogs to them for obvious disease reasons, and the way they keep these puppies...grate floors, behind glass...

Oh and by the way, the reason they are always "tired" and sleeping behind the glass is because the room behind the glass is VERY warm...they are overheated and suffer from HEAT exhaustion.

The first flag for me was the "type" labelling..."pomeranian type", "schnauzer type", "shihtzu type", etc....
I love mixed breed dogs, but these people are misleading the public...they're saying that these pups are purebred but not eligible for papers--and they are definately not purebred.
I love the reaction that you get if you ask where they came from..."Uhhh...we can't tell you that...they want to stay private..."

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 18th, 2005, 07:58 PM
they are definatley designer breeds, there are daschund basset mixes. ****zu mixes, about 3 or 4 a cage and probably at least 12 dogs in there. Perhaps I will contact the company and inquire. If I get up the nerve next time I will inquire and ask if I can view the parents.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 18th, 2005, 08:16 PM
I emailed this store (head office), I wont give name for privacy laws and I dont want to post what I should not. Please see Pomerianacs post about Petstores and Parvo and you can probably figure out who it is. I realise my one email this doesn't make a huge difference but if we let them know that we dissaprove of what they are doing. Maybe eventually it will make a difference. It will be interesting to see what response I get.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 23rd, 2005, 01:47 PM
I received an email back about the store that opened in our town. The basic reply was yes we do rescue, but also provide homes for non rescue puppies and kittens!

I was told the particular store in our area was going to contact me. I guess we will see what happens.