Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

just a rant

Dog Mom
August 17th, 2005, 03:37 PM
I've been doing some "home improvements" ie- remodeling the bathroom, painting just basic stuff! I bought all my supplies locally I spent $400.00 that day on supplies $165.00 of that on just paint! I painted my bathroom this really nice grey called dove's tail it looks sooo pretty. Last night my hubby calls me into the bathroom to show me something, there are HUGE chunks of paint falling off the walls!! So I went back to the only hardware store in town to tell them what happened, and to see what my options were, I spoke to the owners wife and asked to return the 3 unused cans of paint she literaly(sp) laughed in my face and said too bad they won't take the paint back! so now I am stuck with 3 and a half cans of useless paint! grrrrrrrrrrrr i am so mad! sorry i thought that venting would help but it hasn't i'm still pissed :evil:

Prin
August 17th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Rant away. :)

It was latex? Was the original paint latex too? If you put latex on oil, you get peeling like that. All you have to do is sand it, get a really good oil-based primer, then put your latex on top.

chico2
August 17th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Exactly Prin,the most important thing is to prep the wall.Nothing wrong with the paint,remove the peeling paint and start over.Check if your previous paint is oil or waterbased,by rubbing a wet cloth on the wall,if paint comes off,it's waterbased,if not,it's oilbased.
You cannot paint water-based paint on top of oil,you have to use a primer.

Catt31
August 17th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Dog Mom - I found out the exact same thing about a month ago when I painted my bedroom!! The paint started peeling...and I was retouching spots for weeks. I'm going to better prepare the walls in the livingroom before we paint that!! Who woulda thunk it!!! (I'm NO Debbie Travis that's for sure!!!)

Dog Mom
August 17th, 2005, 05:00 PM
my bathroom was freshly dry walled, and primed,but it was latex paint. we have 2 full bathrooms in our house so we havn't even used that bathroom since it was first torn up, so it can't be moisture either. I learned my lesson about painting over oil based with latex in our last house! lol i did a lot of sanding and swearing that day :o

raingirl
August 17th, 2005, 06:41 PM
With fresh dry wall you need to prime with a primer at least three coats first, one week between each coat, then wait a few weeks then paint the desired colour.

Make sure you wash the drywall with TSP first, then rinse, and lightly sand/wash with TSP/rinse between each coat of primer.

Fresh drywall will suck the moisture out of the paint, so if you put too much on at once, it will flake off as it will dry too quickly and not cure properly. Once you have your primer barrier down, then it's ok to paint.

I think I know too much about doing a good paint job and that's why I never paint anything. Too much work to do it right!

Oh, I forgot to mention, for bathrooms you should use oil based primer and paint. I beleive you can paint oil on latex primer, but not the other way around.

Dog Mom
August 18th, 2005, 08:34 AM
We put a dry wall sealer as the first layer of priming and one coat of latex primer on the advice of the store. I always wash my walls that are to be painted with TSP after sanding, that stuff is great. the whole process took about a month from when we first put the drywall sealer on. grrrrr now I have to start all over again! :eek:

BMDLuver
August 18th, 2005, 08:38 AM
I have no advice, just wanted to say sorry it didn't work. I know how frustrating it can be to get a job done and then have it fail. My kitchen walls were a disaster after removing some very old wallpaper with paste, washing multiple times and then still having the paste bleed through the paint. :o

shannon1233A
August 18th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Sorry you're having so much trouble with the painting. It's frustrating when you plan so carefully, spend so much time doing it enthusiasticaly then it doesn't turn out the way you wanted. Just a hint about painting, if you put a couple/few drops of vanilla in the can of paint and mix well, it doesn't change the color, but does mask the paint smell.

BMD, I know removing old wallpaper and the glue is a *itch, but I saw on a home improvement show, if you score the old wallpaper first and spray it well with liquid fabric softener, it comes off much more easily, as well as the glue!

BMDLuver
August 18th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Lol Shannon1233, where were you when my walls were bleeding! :mad:

j/k I swear that the next house we get will not have any wallpaper to begin with! :D

twinmommy
August 18th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Raingirl gave great advice, TSP is a very important step. :thumbs up

There is also a primer called "Gripper".

It ain't cheap--I know, I know more $$$ :rolleyes: , but when you have a tricky problem like that it may save you time and energy.

Our kitchen was like your bathroom and that primer saved our butts :)
and might I commiserate when I say

UGH!!! RENOS ARE BRUTAL!!!!!!

Writing4Fun
August 18th, 2005, 08:28 PM
LOL! One of the things that sold us on this house was that there was NO wallpaper!! Our last house was paper on top of paper on top of paper - and some of that was the gawd-awful 1970's red/orange velvet stuff that was apparently applied with quick-drying cement. :evil:

We also did the peeling paint thing, too. :( That's just never fun, especially when you've done your homework so thoroughly. Sorry, can't give you any better advice than you've already received. Just wanted to say that I feel your pain. ;)

Dog Mom
August 19th, 2005, 07:34 AM
thanks for all the help! :) we were lucky the house we bought has NO wallpaper at all! I wanna move back in with my parents, cuz when there was a problem my dad fixed it LOL :crazy:

BMDLuver
August 19th, 2005, 07:38 AM
thanks for all the help! :) we were lucky the house we bought has NO wallpaper at all! I wanna move back in with my parents, cuz when there was a problem my dad fixed it LOL :crazy:
Lol, my dad touches something and a repair man has to be called to fix it! :eek:

Dog Mom
August 19th, 2005, 11:18 AM
ROFL but he probably means well tho :D