Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What`s your opinion?

DogueLover
August 17th, 2005, 02:50 PM
There has been a lot of bashing of the mods and admins lately. Please vote on the poll to let them know where you stand in regards to the new rules and how the site is being run. In my opinion things are better for the most part and those of you who agree need to vote to let the mods and admin know.

Puppyluv
August 17th, 2005, 03:36 PM
whoops :o I clicked the wrong one :sad:

Prin
August 17th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Which one did you click and which did you mean? Then we can do the math ourselves... :) Unless it's private.

Hey- you'd better brush up on your multiple choice skills!!! Don't want to choose the wrong one on Sunday!! :eek:

I think it's better. But then I'm relatively new, and wasn't here in the so-called "glory days". :)

heidiho
August 17th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Wasnt one there for me,my feeling is if you do not like this board or the way it is run,find one you do,NO ONE is making you come here or stay here.

Puppyluv
August 17th, 2005, 03:44 PM
I clicked the (in my own paraphrase here: ) "Aggh I want to leave!!!!!" but meant to click (again in my own paraphrase: ) "I like it here, it's better"
I think the problem is TOO MUCH Multiple choice for me lately:yuck:
I'm getting these "wrong answer pathologies" ingrained in my head (just incase anyone wants to know, that was a Faulty Use of Detail, Opposite, Response)

Prin
August 17th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Go to Rockaberry and eat some cake and get AWAY for a bit. You need a day off!!!

sorry for the hijack-- she needed to be told!! ;)

Luvmypit
August 17th, 2005, 03:54 PM
I just think right now Pets.ca because of an influx of members needed to revamp there rules. Right now I assume its in transition. I believe the mods are trying their best to find a happy medium. Do I agree with every decision they make? No but I would assume if I were doing the same thing I may perceive a discussion as a threat or attacking someone and another person may not. I think as members we need to sit back and relax and let them do their job and use their own discretion.
Also as of late people have been quick to judge a new member. I have seen it so many times and have commented myself on it a couple times. The questions are accusatory and the posters that post these accusatory questions will be the first to say they did nothing wrong. I have assumed before and felt bad afterwards, but I recognize when I am wrong. And that is why we have rules!

lately I think they have been unfairly bashed. Unable to defend themselves and their unwillingness to do so shows great character.

I do think we havent found that happy medium but we will get there soon. With every change theres some grumbling but for the most part I think people are getting used to it. Good job mods. Let it be known that I personally appreciate your work! And I am sure the newbies who walk into the line of fire feel pretty good too about the new rules.

StaceyB
August 17th, 2005, 04:13 PM
I didn't vote because I was not here before the changes. I do think there are a lot of feelings that have been hurt because of the changes but from what I see it is for the most part this site is under good control. I have agreed with most of the closed threads. There is a difference between stating, debating your view on a subject which I have yet to see stopped. When you resort to getting nasty and calling names, well that is unacceptable. I think that if you want to call names, say it to yourself like I do but just don't post them. As far as I am concerned I think that the useless threads that don't benefit anyone shoud be removed completely, not just locked.
I would have to say things are ok here.

Rick C
August 17th, 2005, 04:15 PM
I don't post enough to have really noticed anything different. :sorry:

I appreciate the opportunity to have a place to hang out, talk a bit, post a few pics, etc, and, as a moderator/part owner of a very busy and rough and tumble hockey board, I know full well the difficult job mods can have.

Sorry to see some of the more interesting characters leave but I really wasn't getting what their problem was in the first place as I haven't been around long enough to tune in . . . . and that stuff often flies over my head anyway.

My two cents.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Jazz&Cricket
August 17th, 2005, 04:20 PM
I with Rick C.......

Anyway, I think I summed up my opinion in another thread "Nasty Newbies" -I might have the thread title wrong :sorry:

Lizzie
August 17th, 2005, 04:23 PM
I agree, the board is much better now. Although I must say, I'm getting quite fed up with the constant mod bashing and/or rule bashing. In life, there are rules. Following rules does not mean you lack personal freedmons, nor does it make you a conformist. I'm tired of people implying that these rules impede on their freedoms. Correct me if I am wrong, but in the real world--outside of this virtual world--loud-mouth bashing, harsh comments and confrontational arguments would NOT be tolerated. People simply walk away.

On this board, if the members are letting off their steam on complete strangers, it's simply not fair. Educate, inform and respond in a mature, calm manner. There is rarely a need in an online forum for people to get so worked up.

My advice is for everyone to chill out!! :p

jessi76
August 17th, 2005, 04:43 PM
I need another choice, one that says "I liked it the way it was, but I DO still want to be a member". Granted, I haven't been here long, but there has been significant changes. Since I did choose to be a member, and am still a member, I will certainly abide by the new rules. However, I do wish there was more balance and consistancy.

melanie
August 17th, 2005, 05:41 PM
OMG ppl get a grip, i am so sick to death of all of this, its like you all want to drag it out.

firstly all the whinging is a bit over the top, cant you let it go or will this be all we discuss around here???

secoundly there IS NOT MOD OR ADMIN BASHING my god ppl express an opinion and therefore are considered bashing, give me a break.

some ppl dont like what is going on with the mods, so they say so... they dont say all mods a fools or any such thing, tyhey express dislike for the way the place is run, that is not personally bashing mods or any crap....we dont know the mods, how can we bash them, some ppl jsut dont like the style of mgt used, si that such a big deal to you all???

see this is the problem, ppl say they dotn like something and are then hounded for it, why i ask, is it the fact that we just dont like opinions that go against the norm here?? is a person not entitled to say no i dont like it and wont stand for it, is that wrong. so how the heck does that relate to bashing admin, i have not read anywhere nasty things about admin individuals, so what the problem, where are you getting this stuff about bashing them???

top me it just sounds liike certian parties like to keep the trouble going, or perhaps its for the attention, or to be honest it does look like someone is trying to suck up to admin and win brownie points. thatys how it looks from here..

why not jsut get over it :o

White Wolf
August 17th, 2005, 05:49 PM
top me it just sounds liike certian parties like to keep the trouble going, or perhaps its for the attention, or to be honest it does look like someone is trying to suck up to admin and win brownie points. thatys how it looks from here.. Is that a hint? Am I not giving you enough attention, Melanie? :D

Golden Girls
August 17th, 2005, 05:52 PM
very busy and rough and tumble hockey boardhockey board - no way!!! where where where? pls pm me, thanks

melanie
lol, nah love, ive never been charming enough to win brownie points :D i aint very charmin at all :p well depends what i wnat at the time :D

Prin
If pet owners have hot tempers, imagine hockey players? :eek:

Karin
August 17th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Wasnt one there for me,my feeling is if you do not like this board or the way it is run,find one you do,NO ONE is making you come here or stay here.

I must echo what Heidi said...and add to it.

If you pay the bills that keep this site up and running, feel free to bitch.
No one is holding a gun to anyones head forcing them come here.

I can get obnoxious at times also. (I have not had much time to do so lately), I will voice my opinion when & if I see the need to. I may get spanked for it, maybe not...it all depends on what frame of mood I am in when I post.

The owners of this website have no age restriction listed. They need to protect innocent children that may be visiting here too. I can only geuss this to be only one reason for the changes. Whatever the reasons....I do not pay the bills here, I am grateful for the ones who do.

I once got pissed off too and left, I was new to the "on line state of mind" atmosphere. Then I found out I could turn this thing off and rejoin the real world full of real gloom & doom....now pets.ca is my escape from that world.
I still know where my log off button is.

It's really quite simple.

I'll share my couch with anyone. I have been spending lotsa time there lately watching.

Puppyluv
August 17th, 2005, 07:49 PM
If pet owners have hot tempers, imagine hockey players? :eek:
Three of my neighbours in Calgary were Flames (Hockey players for those oblivious to sports) and they are all dog owners. Coincidence? I think not :D

twinmommy
August 17th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Did someone mention Rockaberry's?

:D

nymph
August 17th, 2005, 11:41 PM
This board is definitely heading to the right direction, allow some time for the dust to settle, it will return to normal eventually. Democracy does not refer to absence of rules, that's anarchism. Although I don't always agree with some of the mods' decisions, I do NEED to abide by the forum rules, it's actually for the greater good of all members, old and new.

I did notice however that some mods are harsher than others, perhaps some decisions could be better balanced. To echo what chico2 said in the other thread: let's not lose focus, let's not forget what we are here for to begin with, that is to help our beloved pets. This goes to admins/mods as well.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 17th, 2005, 11:49 PM
I think we need to make sure we listen to the posters before we pass any judgement.. give them the benefit of the doubt. If they come here just being rude then I am all for locking the thread.

I think the site still needs improvements- but I also think that some of the bashing is uneccessary especially if it is one post after the other. If we can educate people on certain issues without them feel ganged up on, I feel it is the better way to go. If one person that is planning to breed there mixed breed or non champion purebred comes here and learns something and ends up staying and being a responsible pet owner and educates others then I think that should be the goal. Just my opininon. :)

Trinitie
August 18th, 2005, 10:22 AM
there IS NOT MOD OR ADMIN BASHING my god ppl express an opinion and therefore are considered bashing, give me a break.

some ppl dont like what is going on with the mods, so they say so... they dont say all mods a fools or any such thing, tyhey express dislike for the way the place is run, that is not personally bashing mods or any crap....we dont know the mods, how can we bash them, some ppl jsut dont like the style of mgt used, si that such a big deal to you all???Ok, the problem is: we know that people may not like adhering to the newly improved rules, and that's ok. We expect some people to complain. The thing I have a problem with, is the way people are complaining. I don't mind grumbling, showing displeasure, or downright unhappiness, BUT, to purposfully start a thread pointing out how much you HATE the new rules, or to state your opinion on how nasty the mods have become, or to say some sort of comment about the Admins, when you know darned well that it will start arguements - I have a problem with that. I consider throwing attention to a group of people, in a negative way, bashing. On a public forum, that is unacceptable. ESPECIALLY when it's to the people who run the site. If a person has a problem with a certain other member, or has a comment to say that would be best said privately, then use a PM. Pretty simple really.
is a person not entitled to say no i dont like it and wont stand for it, is that wrong. so how the heck does that relate to bashing admin, i have not read anywhere nasty things about admin individuals, so what the problem, where are you getting this stuff about bashing them???When the Admin says that this type of griping is best said in PM to him, or the mods, and it's purposefully done in public post, I consider that bashing. If you say a derogatory remark about one person, or a group of people, and they've asked you to not do that in front of other people, and you continue, I consider that bashing, as do many other people.
top me it just sounds liike certian parties like to keep the trouble going, or perhaps its for the attention, or to be honest it does look like someone is trying to suck up to admin and win brownie points. thatys how it looks from here..Now, THIS comment I consider downright rude. No brownie points are given for showing appreciation of our hard work. Like other people, you included I'm sure, I appreciate a pat on the back for a job well done. If someone appreciates the job that the Admins and Mods are doing, and asks others if they feel the same way in a PRIVATE poll (we don't know how people voted - even I can't see that), how is that fishing for brownie points? You do seem to a have a bad habit of trying to turn a nice conversation, that nobody really forced you to join, into something people will watch just to see where it's going to go from here. If you feel that dogue is beating a dead horse (sorry, it's just a saying!) then don't join in the conversation. Again, pretty simple really.

Wow, I now have typer's cramp!

Golden Girls
August 18th, 2005, 10:29 AM
I voted the 1st, site has improved. One can stay or one can go!

RULES: What rules? One must have commen sense, respect, no slandering, play nice, no judging , no name calling etc. We shouldn't NEED moderator's to have to remind us in the first place but, do we need them - oh ya!

I wouldn't want to imagine what life would've been like playing in a school yard without these same rules! Wait, here I go again assuming we've all graduated from kindergarden. jk, jk, jk,

CyberKitten
August 18th, 2005, 11:29 AM
I almost did not post here because as outspoken as I am - and I really am a kind and gentle soul who always tries to be diplomatic and to choose my words wisely (and I realize sometimes that does not always happen when one fires off a missive in the height of feeling hurt or upset) - I feel almost afraid to say anything anymore and that really distresses me. I do not know what's acceptable anymore even though I have read the "rules". I don't think I lack sound judgement or education but I still do not yet know the rationale behind the changes.

I almost never PM and to me - and to anyone like me who has been an internet user since its inception almost (think 70s), the new frontier was to be a place where one could feel free to express oneself (within the limits of good taste but I have always been very moderate and understanding and try to be helpful, not confrontational) - a PM is akin to a note we used to use in class that was sort of against the rules. Something you sent to your friend when the teacher was not looking. So I rarely use them and in some ways find them a bit offensive - because they are exclusive. A Board is for everyone and if I have something to say, it is not behind the scenes to one person. Sure, I have sent PM's , mostly responded to them actually - but that is not nor never will be my understanding of a PM so it will taje a lot for me to comprehend or remember that I am on this site supposed to actually use them to express an opionion. Why???????????????? What can I say that is so awful that the rest of the world can't see it and does that not truncate what the internet means?? That frustrates me - and asdmittedkly, I just discovered that yesterday. I had been asked in the past to send PM's and thought "well that's nice of them" but never thought it was a "rule"!! So if I did not send a PM when I was supposed to, that's why.

This site has become a community to me which is the only reason I still visit. But it is not half as enjoyable as it once was. It ALWAYS raises my stress level and trust me, my stress level is too high to start with. So I do not know whether I can live with the new site. I am still upset by the comments that suggested that if I did not like the site, I could leave. I just think that is so unprofessional, regardless of the situation. I know the mods have a tough time but my God, you are not telling someone their child is dying. It's a web site for God's sake!!! I accept my own job - and my own volunteer work - which all have their moments and sure I complain and understand the "politics" of the Boards, workplace, committees, etc and if I do not want to participate, I can make changes. But it is not as simple as if I do not like it, I can leave. Nothing in life is that easy or simple and the mods need to understand and have some compassion for those of us who have been here for so long and come to cherish this place as a community.

No, I do not own the site. It is a for profit site so I assume they want their cosumers to be happy and to return and drive up the stats for advertisers. But this is the Board part of the site and addressing animals rights always brings out strong opinions and emotions. I think that needs to be taken into account. I am chargined at the numbers of people leaving, the number of situations I do not understand (What Rescues are allowed and why?, byb vs. a reputable Rescue, what?), the threads closed that do not account for people who are not here as often as others. Why 24 hours? All the questions I have already asked and there is no stcky I can see that just explains that - that is all I asked and it is pretty basic to me anyway.

I have prob said too much. I never bashed anyone and am sorry if it came across that way. I just want this to be the vivacious, hel[pful, KIND place it used to be!!! I want the moderators to be kind and understanding when they respond and I honestly think that is not asking alot. The mods certainly were kind in the past - why the need now for some of the mods to post the questions and short responses. I guess I am not over that hurtful response which I intrepted that they wanted me to leave. You have to understand that as someone who has lived with a disability, that kind of statement is taken by me to mean you do not accept me or respect me - even if that is not the case. That always upsets me and makes me dig in my heels I suppose. I have to know why someone wouldbe so hurtful and then make sure others are not treated that way. I hate injustice and unkindness of any type!!

Online, it is hard to know where someone is coming from. Still, you do not demand that somoene leave. How does one keep veteran consumers of a site that way?

Anyway - as you can see, that comment is still too close to the surface for me. It may well not even been meant that way but yet no-one ever apologized. I always apologize if I am wrong or say something I should not have in the heat of the moment. I am human and it happens. Anyway - I better stop and return to work.

Have a great day everyone. I hope we work all this stuff out because I have come to like so many ppl here and believe this site has great potential!!

sammiec
August 18th, 2005, 12:12 PM
excellent post CK...

Everyone complains about the constant bickering about the changes, rules etc.. but then we continuously have polls, threads (I am guilty of this one) and posts that ALWAYS re-live the issue.
I think that if you like or dislike the site it should be in a PM... it goes both ways, no??

As for the rules and regulations that now encompass this board I have read them... in fact I've almost come close to printing them out and sticking them to my screen so that I can stay on top of what is acceptable and what is not... but it's clear as mud to me quite frankly.

nymph
August 18th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Two words: OPEN & FAIRNESS. Theoretically speaking, the same rules should apply to EVERYONE, not just a few privileged members.

IF in fact the rules are already laid out and are in fact crystal clear, then all members who abide by the rules should not feel any discomfort. I share CyberKitten's questions about a number of situations that I really don't understand:

WHO gets to decide on which rescues are reputable and which ones are not.
WHO gives these people the right to decide on issues like this?
If if fact this is a community and everyone has equal right, then shouldn't WE as members also get to voice our opinions on issues like this?

Trinitie
August 18th, 2005, 12:35 PM
I would love, if only for one day, people could sit in our shoes and experience what we go through.

If we do not respond to a thread quickly enough - we're not doing our jobs.
If we respond too quickly - we're accused of picking on certain members (especially if one member seems to post quite often)
If we agree with a specific thread, or post - we could be accused of favoritism.
If we disagree with a thread - we're arguementative
If we delete a thread too quickly - we're accused of trampling on Freedom of Speech.
If we delete a thread too slowly - we're accused of aiding in the arguement (or of not doing our jobs)
If we try to defend ourselves, against ANY type of accusation - we're too defensive (we must be hiding something or have an alterior motive).

We, as the people who are TRYING to make this place a site for people to enjoy again, can't win for losing.

I don't enjoy being the "big baddie". I don't enjoy closing threads. I don't enjoy saying "you shouldn't say that - that wasn't nice!". I don't enjoy being disliked, in any part of my life, whether that be at my job, in my personal life, or here, with like-minded people.

Perhaps if less people TRIED to stir the fire, making it hotter, and just tried to help people, instead of griping, bitching, and just whining in general, we'd ALL have a good time. Mods included.

If you want to be part of the problem - GOODBYE
If you want to be part of the solution - SIT BY ME - LET'S MAKE THIS A GREAT PLACE AGAIN!

Trinitie
August 18th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Two words: OPEN & FAIRNESS. Theoretically speaking, the same rules should apply to EVERYONE, not just a few privileged members.

IF in fact the rules are already laid out and are in fact crystal clear, then all members who abide by the rules should not feel any discomfort. I share CyberKitten's questions about a number of situations that I really don't understand:

WHO gets to decide on which rescues are reputable and which ones are not.
WHO gives these people the right to decide on issues like this?
If if fact this is a community and everyone has equal right, then shouldn't WE as members also get to voice our opinions on issues like this?
This site is open and fair. If you feel it's not - goodbye. Nobody's forcing you to stay where you feel not welcome.
EVERYONE is to abide by the rules - INCLUDING YOU
Bitching the same thing, over and over, in PUBLIC and not PM is really not going to sit well with the Admin - that I promise you.

Who decides on the rescues? WE ALL DO.
The final word is in the hands of the Admin and Mods. Do regular members have a say? Yes. BY PM let an Admin or Mod know who you think would be a good candidate and then THEY'RE CHECKED OUT. If people in their city say they're good, then they're considered for the rescue forums.
Who gives us the right to decide these issues? THE OWNERS OF THE FORUMS. The people who give us our paychecks. OH WAIT....WE'RE VOLUNTEERS! Darn it! Instead of helping people FOR FREE, I should be PAID! GEEZ. :rolleyes:
Yes, you can voice your opinion - to the ADMIN in PM.

I'm very QUICKLY losing my patience with all the crying and whining going on.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT - NOBODY'S STOPPING YOU.

We want people who want to help pets - not who just feel like complaining for the sake of reading their own words.

LET'S MOVE ON!

heidiho
August 18th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Perfeclty said///////////////////Good for u, i dont get it either no one is forcing anyone to be here............... :thumbs up :thumbs up :yuck:

Prin
August 18th, 2005, 01:09 PM
I don't get it. You guys are still complaining about the rules, and how you don't understand them, but have you pmed Marko or any of the mods yet? It seems to me if you really wanted to know the answers to your questions that is what you would do, not whine and moan about it without doing anything.

And CK, PMs are not like passing notes. They are for sending people information or asking questions on topics of which NOBODY else CARES to read.

nymph
August 18th, 2005, 01:12 PM
This site is open and fair. If you feel it's not - goodbye. Nobody's forcing you to stay where you feel not welcome.
EVERYONE is to abide by the rules - INCLUDING YOU
Bitching the same thing, over and over, in PUBLIC and not PM is really not going to sit well with the Admin - that I promise you.

So AGREE OR LEAVE THE BOARD? Is that how it is done around here? It's really not in your position to tell me to stay or to leave, as far as I could see, it's really not your decision. Imagine, just imagine if I tell you to just SHUT UP, how would you feel?

Who decides on the rescues? WE ALL DO.

By "WE", did you mean the admins and mods? Because I certainly don't get to say which rescues are reputable and which ones are not. Please enlighten me if I do get a say in something like this, I would gladly participate in such discussions.

The final word is in the hands of the Admin and Mods. Do regular members have a say? Yes. BY PM let an Admin or Mod know who you think would be a good candidate and then THEY'RE CHECKED OUT. If people in their city say they're good, then they're considered for the rescue forums.
Who gives us the right to decide these issues? THE OWNERS OF THE FORUMS. The people who give us our paychecks. OH WAIT....WE'RE VOLUNTEERS! Darn it! Instead of helping people FOR FREE, I should be PAID! GEEZ. :rolleyes:
Yes, you can voice your opinion - to the ADMIN in PM.

Uh, I did, numerous times, but I have not gotten anything back, sometimes not even a reply. Trinitie, you of all the people should know what I meant. Isn't it ironic that on one hand you tell us not to bitch and whine and that's exactly what you are doing here, don't you think? You are volunteers, yadayada, PLEASE, no one here who gives advice gets paid, so we are all volunteers in a sense, yet people conitnue to give generous advice and help out those in need DESPITE ungrateful returns, so what gives YOU the right to bitch and whine about your job?

I'm very QUICKLY losing my patience with all the crying and whining going on.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT - NOBODY'S STOPPING YOU.

We want people who want to help pets - not who just feel like complaining for the sake of reading their own words.

LET'S MOVE ON!

Haliluja! :fingerscr :angel:

Prin
August 18th, 2005, 01:14 PM
I still don't get why people come here if they hate it so much. Just to brighten all our days??? :rolleyes:

nymph
August 18th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Well Prin, disagreement doesn't mean disliking, do you see the difference or is it too hard to comprehend? I actually voted for the 2nd option, I think this board is heading to the right direction, but still needs improvements. No brownie points for me? :party:

Lizzie
August 18th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Prin, I don't get it either. It's the constant moaning and groaning that'll drive people more than anything. There are now more posts about people feeling constrained and slandered than there are about pets...isn't this a pets board?

What's making it feel unwelcoming is this childish behaviour. It's an online discussion board. If you don't like it, leave (that's right, I went there!). If you enjoy the banter, chats and subject and can tolerate that it, just like the rest of the world has rules, then stay and enjoy the company.

Trinitie
August 18th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Well, let me put it this way:
If all someone does is complain about how nobody listens to them, or how unfair things have become here, what would you say to them? “Poor thing. I agree with you, but only about 50%.” I doubt that. You’re a person with a no-nonsense attitude. If you don’t like something, you say so. (that much is perfectly clear) I’m doing nothing more than that. If you don’t like the way things are run here, or feel unjustly accused of being unfair, you’d say something in your defense. And, to be perfectly honest with you, if I said something that truly warranted a “shut up” from you, I deserved it, and that would be that. Did I tell you to shut up? No. Instead I told you: if you don’t like it here – go. (and for the record – is it my position to tell you to stay or to leave? Yes. That’s what a Mod’s job is. To keep the boards running smoothly. If that means asking people to leave, for the good of the boards, then that’s what I’ll do. I did not ask you to leave. Rather, look at it from our side. We’re damned if we do, and damned if we don’t)

When I say “we” decide on rescues – I do mean WE ALL DO. If you know of a reputable rescue in your area, and they started coming to this board, PM the Admin the information about them. The Admin would check into their rescue, to make certain they’re on the up and up. The Rescue forums aren’t a locked forum, never to allow new rescues to post. You’re giving us too little credit.

Just because you don’t get a reply, doesn’t mean your PM isn’t read. I’ve sent e-mails to people, only to have them call me and say “you never said that!” Umm, yeah, I did say that. Or, I’ve had people respond days later than I expected, or even months, all the while I thought it had never been read. OR, how about PMs, IMs, or e-mails that are read without the sender knowing they’ve been read? The recipient just goes ahead and does whatever you’ve requested. If they don’t specifically call, e-mail, or PM you, to let you know “I looked into that”, just assume that it’s been done, and move on with your day.

I’m not trying to get you to think I’m whining about my responsibilities here. On the contrary. I just want a break from the “the mods are so unfair” or “the admins are so unfair”. You come here, read a thread, post a response, and wait to see what happens. I come here, read a thread, post a response, possibly delete or edit an inappropriate post, and wait to see what happens. Who has it easier? You do, by far. Am I complaining? No. I like Modding. I just don’t want to be jumped on for doing what’s expected of me. So, what gives me the right to bitch and whine about my job? The fact that people are bitching that I’m DOING MY JOB DOES.

White Wolf
August 18th, 2005, 01:41 PM
I’m not trying to get you to think I’m whining about my responsibilities here. On the contrary. I just want a break from the “the mods are so unfair” or “the admins are so unfair”. You come here, read a thread, post a response, and wait to see what happens. I come here, read a thread, post a response, possibly delete or edit an inappropriate post, and wait to see what happens. Who has it easier? You do, by far. Am I complaining? No. I like Modding. I just don’t want to be jumped on for doing what’s expected of me. So, what gives me the right to bitch and whine about my job? The fact that people are bitching that I’m DOING MY JOB DOES.
I second that. :) Some days we're all here watching threads endlessly, feeling like we can't ever leave except to get something to eat or to pee once in a while. :rolleyes:

Trinitie
August 18th, 2005, 01:44 PM
You get to go eat and pee? Wow! You're my hero oh Wolf of White. :love: :love:

sammiec
August 18th, 2005, 01:45 PM
I don't get it. You guys are still complaining about the rules, and how you don't understand them, but have you pmed Marko or any of the mods yet? It seems to me if you really wanted to know the answers to your questions that is what you would do, not whine and moan about it without doing anything.

Actually Prin, since you're jumping to conclusions again assuming that you know all... I will inform you that YES I have talked to Mods and Admin about my concerns about the rules and how I am not understanding them... thanks for your yet again sarcastic post.... wonder why YOUR posts are never edited or removed?? Isn't the antagonistic way you question people against the rules as well... or am I confused with that too?? :rolleyes:

White Wolf
August 18th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Bathroom is right next to the office. :D I have a stash of food behind the printer in case I get too weak...

Trinitie
August 18th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Actually, sammie, Prin pays us a moderate monthly fee for special treatment.

KIDDING

KIDDING

Prin has had some run ins with the Mods. You don't know what happens behind the scenes, and how we talk about Prin. Ooops. Damn. Now Prin knows.

I, myselft, have had a run in or two with Prin. We've agreed to disagree and we moved on! And we've never spoken about it until my mentioning it now.

Trinitie
August 18th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Bathroom is right next to the office. :D I have a stash of food behind the printer in case I get too weak...
Wow. I have to walk 30 feet to the bathroom. Sometimes I don't make it, I'm so weak from hunger. Ooops. Guess that's too much information huh? :o

sammiec
August 18th, 2005, 01:51 PM
That's interesting Trinitie.. and I have no desire to know what goes on "behind the scenes"... but since you talk about Prin and yet the antagonistic and sarcastic posts STILL happen makes me wonder...

Prin
August 18th, 2005, 01:53 PM
I pay you so you DON'T tell!!! LOL

Sammiec, I said: but have you pmed Marko or any of the mods yet? I didn't say, "None of you have pmed the mods or Marko." I'm not jumping to conclusions. All you have to say is "Yes I did". Don't read tone when there is no tone there.

jjgeonerd
August 18th, 2005, 01:56 PM
So AGREE OR LEAVE THE BOARD? Is that how it is done around here? It's really not in your position to tell me to stay or to leave, as far as I could see, it's really not your decision. Imagine, just imagine if I tell you to just SHUT UP, how would you feel?

All they are asking everyone to do is follow the rules...not necessarily agree with them. If the rules aren't followed, it is their decision to ban someone or edit their posts.

sammiec
August 18th, 2005, 01:56 PM
I'm sorry maybe next time can you put in brackets that it's not meant to have tone then... because when you finish a post with "whine about it and not do anything" give the impression that there is infact tone AND sarcasim...

Prin
August 18th, 2005, 01:59 PM
I'm sorry maybe next time can you put in brackets that it's not meant to have tone then... because when you finish a post with "whine about it and not do anything" give the impression that there is infact tone AND sarcasimIf I say sarcastically that people are whining, wouldn't that mean they aren't whining? And if they aren't whining, what are they doing?

Trinitie
August 18th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Sammie,
Yes, what happens behind the scenes is something that even I wish I didn't have to take part in. But, without us talking, and sometimes giving each other a slap upside the head, nothing would get done.

Sorry Prin. Even though I said I would never make this public, I'm afraid I have no choice. Appologies.

As far as Prin is concerned, there have been several instances where we've had "talks" with Prin. But, you also have to look at the big picture. How Prin talks, and acts in the forums, is part of who Prin is. Just how we know that when you post, it's very well thought out, and articulate. We expect certain members to post a certain way. If a genuine complaint is issued about Prin, we'll most certainly bring it to Prin's attention. But, if gibes are done back and forth in thread, then how can we be expected to react a certain way?

If you have an issue with how someone posts, then please, by all means PM me. I'm very accessable by PM, and never turn anyone away.

sammiec
August 18th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the english lesson Prin... :highfive:

jjgeonerd
August 18th, 2005, 02:06 PM
^^^

sarcasm :thumbs up

Prin
August 18th, 2005, 02:09 PM
LOL jjgeonerd. :D

Luvmypit
August 18th, 2005, 02:21 PM
I saw two dogs walk over to a parking meter. One said to the other, "How do you like that? Pay toilets."

ha ha ha!

A panda walks into a bar, sits down and orders a sandwich. He eats, pulls out a gun and shoots the waiter dead. As the panda stands up to go, the bartender shouts, "Hey! Where are you going? You just shot my waiter and you didn't pay for the food." The panda yells back, "Hey, man, I'm a panda. Look it up!" The bartender opens his dictionary to panda: "A tree-climbing mammal of Asian origin, characterized by distinct black and white coloring. Eats shoots and leaves."

HA HA HA HA HA HA

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One cannibal turns to the other and asks, "This taste funny to you?"

hahaha

Two campers are hiking in the woods when one is bitten on the rear end by a rattlesnake. "I'll go into town for a doctor," the other says. He runs ten miles to a small town and finds the only doctor delivering a baby. "I can't leave," the doctor says. "But here's what to do. Take a knife, cut a little X where the bite is, suck out the poison and spit it on the ground." The guy runs back to his friend, who is in agony. "What did the doctor say?" the victim cries. "He says you're gonna die."

Just bear with me. Im trying to lighten the mood.

There now everyone take a laugh break...

White Wolf
August 18th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Thank you, Luvmypit.:)

Trinitie
August 18th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Love that panda one!

Thank you pit - very funny and perfect timing.

Dogastrophe
August 18th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Luvmypit, best post so far!! :crazy:

Writing4Fun
August 18th, 2005, 02:49 PM
I didn't vote because there's no option for "I miss the 3-day smilie fests!".http://www.discodelic.netfirms.com/silly-bangonhead2.gif

amber416
August 18th, 2005, 04:06 PM
There was no option that fit me either, so i didn't vote.

I miss the way the board used to be....you know, back when it was about pets. I think i started to feel uncomfortable about this board right around the time all those people got kicked off. It's fine to say it's private, it's not our business, it's between the mods and that person that was banned, but then--to me anyway-- it seemed like there was a lot of arguing going on then (still is, actually) and it was one side of the arguments that was being picked off. Probably wasn't the case, but the whole thing left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Now it seems like we have this weird site, where it's either nasty and argumentative (in regards to the rules frenzy) or watered down. There is another site i frequent that has several boards devoted to animal rescue. Now those boards get heated...VERY heated, and i have yet to see something locked. I have seen, however, A LOT of animals helped on that site. I have seen miracles worked there; i used to see some of that here too, now i just see a lot of locked threads, new rules, and arguments that have nothing to do with pets. I just think censoring name calling and swearing (although apparently that doesn't apply in this thread) is one thing, but we should be careful about censoring passion. This board would have trouble functioning without it. Maybe that's not what is happening though, i don't even know, thing are always edited before i see them, posts are deleted. I don't really understand the extent of the rules either, so i just don't post much...i'm not big on breaking the rules. :)

Trinitie
August 18th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Ok, maybe we'll just get rid of the rules, all of them, and let those who want to troll, troll. Those who want to bash, bash away. Hey, how about that 12 year old kid, coming here looking for advice about her dying cat/dog/mouse/gerbil? Oh well, we can't help her because we're too busy bashing and trolling.

Seriously, that would never happen. I care about this site. I, too, have been to sites where people say whatever, and I do mean WHATEVER, they want. People bash other people. People bash companies. People bash the management of the site. Oooo. Not good. When I started here, there was none of this going on.

I was happy to share a joke, pass along information to someone who had trouble searching the Internet (I'm a whiz at that), and offer advice to the best of my (albeit, limited) ability. Micromanaging is something I abhore! BUT, sometimes it needs doing. Once people settle down, and all the rowdies finally understand that we're not out to get them (put tinfoil in your hat while you're at it), then this site can get back to normal.

I'll let you in on a little secret -
*Mods are talking behind your backs. We're wondering when we can all get on with the business of PETS*

If you think we have nothing better to do, than sit here, ban people for voicing an opinion, then you'd better sit back and re-read some of the most disturbing posts. We have been trying, since this all started, to get things back on track. I don't like change, anymore than the next fuddy-duddy. BUT, if change needs to happen to make this site more PET friendly, then so be it.

After all - my feelings won't be hurt if you call me a meanie. I expect that. But to keep this constant bickering going on, ed-nausium, is just plain silly.

Let's all agree - we want Pets.ca to be the place where people come for advice, to share loving stories, adoring pictures, and bitch about life in general.

Can we do that? Or is it far too much to ask?

Luvmypit
August 18th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Amen!

How 'bout this. We forget about all this crap and just go on acting like we have always been acting. Then when a rule affects us the ADMINS/MODS will talk to us regarding that particular issue. We will adjust. If we have a problem with it we can continue discussing it with the mods.

We can drop this whole issue because really its not helping discussing it anymore. Everyone is talking about different things, different posts. Rescues, thread locks.

How about we forget this all happened. Close are eyes. Picture the pets.ca we know and love and make it that way. right now the only reason this is still going on and we are not doing what we are supposed to do is because we are not dropping it.

Lets take every thread lock, every talking to, and every banned user issue one at a time.

Clean slate.

Are you with me people? Don't make me tell another joke!

Trinitie
August 18th, 2005, 04:33 PM
C'mon Pit, tell a joke. It'll make your post count an even 1000! (make sure you mention that in the joke - hard now, isn't it?)

Luvmypit
August 18th, 2005, 04:45 PM
A man in a bar staggers up to the bartender and orders another drink. The bartender says "You're already drunk." The man protests "I'm not drunk! I bet you $100 I can sit on this bar stool, spin around really fast, pee, and have all the pee land in a glass that you put on the bar." The bartender knows this is impossible, so he takes the bet.

The guy (who is clearly very drunk) sits on the stool, spins around spraying pee all over the place. The bartender is drenched in urine. The drunk gets off the stool and hands the bartender $100. The bartender is grinning and laughing at the easy money he just made. "Why did you do it?" he asks. "That was an impossible bet!"

The drunk leans in conspiratorally. "You see those guys sitting at that table over there? I just bet them $500 I could pee in your face and make you happy about it."

YEAH 1000!!! WOO HOO

Luvmypit
August 18th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Hey why didnt it change? I was so excited... and then nothing... :(

Schwinn
August 18th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Hello? Baskin Robbins? I've got a 12 scoop emergency, stat!

Seriously, this is starting to get tiresome, all this moaning. I think the best rule is "If you don't like it you are free to leave". Anyone who has a problem with that needs to grow some skin. It's a basic fact. This rehashing over and over of the same stuff is kind of annoying. And this is probably why the mods ask for a PM, so it doesn't turn into this big thing.

Don't make me bring out the WAAAAHHHmbulance!

happycats
August 18th, 2005, 04:47 PM
WOOOOOOO HOOOOO happy 1000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crazy:

Like judge Judy says. put a period at the end, and MOVE ON!!!!!!! :D

happycats
August 18th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Aww luvnypit, what happened??? I wonder how long you've been stuck at 999 :eek:

Luvmypit
August 18th, 2005, 04:56 PM
lol.... I just say hi to a new member and there it was!

Glorious 1000! I betcha its still at that number for this post.

Its there. Yeah!

CyberKitten
August 18th, 2005, 05:04 PM
I would MUCH PREFER to dicuss pets and their health care and rights and be engageing in innovative discussions with others who have like minded ideas or even ones that challenge me.

But I don't think it's too much to hope that the people in your community respect you. This whole issue is a majot distraction and I quite concur with anyone who stated this in some way.

Thanks for the explanation Trinitie - I think I get it. I'll have to try to rethink my entire manner of what PM's mean to me and how I utilize them. I like to think I embrace change but I am also used to being part of organizations that are more inclusive and (I have come to think that perhaps I am not as respected here as I am everywhere else) and want my opinions, not ask me to leave when I make them. I don;t mean to be unfair when I say that - I am still upset by that comment last week or whenever it is.

Trinitie, I really do understand how you feel, I have moderated, indeed am responsible for several sites you can never please everyone. I did not ask to be happy all the time with every decision, just to know what's going on and what I need to do to help. I have rare;y felt so upset as I did by that comment a mod made - prob in the heat of the moment - and he never apologized which leads me to conclude thar possibly he does not really want my presence. I don;t expect everyone to like me. I DO expect respect since it is not in my nature to belittle or be disrespective of the work the mods too. I had simply explained my situation, Maybe I live in a differnt universe but being involved in promoting web sites that are friendly to the disabled - a major part of my work online to be frank - I am astouned that the response was , well leave, That was how I take it, it still is how I take it. I serve on my govt's agency that oversees programs for people with disabilities and we investigate and make recommendations to public and private web sites so maybe I am used to explaining why 24 hours is not good for me or anyone who works long hrs. Or needs time. Forums actually are somewhat of a challenge for disability rights orgs and we are just coming to the right proptcols now - imprved time constraints for responses, etc - I was attemtping to help in my response. I know this site is not a govt one but it does break one federal law, several provincial ones and some state ones. It's not alone however - this is a new issue in cyberspace but most govt sites (even those with forums) have vastly improved. There are alternate ways for ppl to respond - sans mouse, using kbs shortcuts, etc, etc. I just assumed that any site that considers the vulnerability of animals also cares about the vulnerability of ppl with disabilities who need more time to type or respond.

I completely understand why a controversial thread would be closed. I am completely lost in the area about one person who is leaving and may have posted a goodbte to her thinking she was someone else but the thread had been closed and I had no time to find out if I was correct. I am sort of lost on that issue and like others, need guidance. I'd even help if anyone needs someone to write! (I was just asked by a group writing a text how how to write online if they could use work from a web site I developed if they can use it as an illustration so I was thrilled about that - I am not the only good writer here tho, Writing for Fun and others are also excellent in explaining technical matters - and others. Writing4F prob has even better ideas and more experience than I.)

I think it is that as mambers of a community we sincerely WANT to help. We do not want to impede the work of the mods - I hoenstly know how difficult it is. I thought sending PM's was more work for you so never did that - tho I respond as fast as I can.

I really want this web site to work. You know the old civil rights motto - keep your eyes on the prize. the prize in this case is animal rights and welfare. To attain the prize, we need to work together well. I just hope we can all be part if the solution and I never meant to pose probs but I would be really remiss if I privatelt fumed over my own hurt. It would not he helpful to anyone. I just thought ppl here did care about others and it seems most of us do. Let's just try NOT to hurt each other any longer and to get these new rules out in the open and better explained. (I am still hazy on the Rescue biz - who is eligible, what are the criteria and why?) I understand not all rescues are equal - it is an imperfect world and some are better or more credible than others. But like medicine or law or education or any profession, there need to be objective , measurable standards by which to evaluate them. How do we know what they are? That's all - . I may not have seen a Mission statement (and sorry if I haven't) but maybe on the page where that is, these things could be addressed? Or have I attended too many stategic planning mtgs and "we" don't have one? And if our input is not wanted, that's fine - since it is a for profit biz - but in terms of recuses, at least let us know how we can post info about needy pets and so forth.

I am being buzzed by my beeper, gotta go - sorry to be so looong winded again - and pls don;t think I am bashing, I am not. I am just curious and want to make this place a comfortable place for everyone.!!!!

melanie
August 18th, 2005, 05:47 PM
quote by trinite'You do seem to a have a bad habit of trying to turn a nice conversation, that nobody really forced you to join, into something people will watch just to see where it's going to go from here.'

how ordinary on a super scale...

BMDLuver
August 18th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Please everyone, I implore you... can we just let this go and get on with what is important and what this site is supposed to be about... THE ANIMALS!

You know, I hear the saying "IT's all for the Animals" so darn often yet no one actually seems to practice it. Think of the animals, think of their lack of a voice, think of their need for help. Think what you can do to help just one. If everyone concentrated on that and not he said/she said, I did/they did, this rule/that rule, we could all get back to the monumental task at hand...

Helping one animal at a time!

Thank you.

Writing4Fun
August 18th, 2005, 06:06 PM
My apologies to all the conservationists out there, this is simply proof of my very bad and warped sense of humour (to clarify, I don't think seal hunts are funny at all, but this joke gets me every time):

The world's shortest joke:
So, this seal walks into a club...

(Rimshot, please? No? Hello? Is this thing on?? *clears throat, slinks off stage and leaves by the back door*)

BMDLuver
August 18th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Lol W4F!!!!!!!!! :highfive:

happycats
August 18th, 2005, 06:13 PM
If we are all in agreement here, lets just lock this thread move on, and start out new?

Okay?

Who wants icecream? http://bestsmileys.com/icecream/1.gif

Or in this case maybe something a little stronger? http://bestsmileys.com/drinks/4.gif

Who wants to turn this into a party thread??? :crazy: Who wants to bartend? Who's making popcorn (or Jello shots hehehe)? :D

Dragonfly
August 18th, 2005, 07:19 PM
If we are all in agreement here, lets just lock this thread move on, and start out new?

Okay?

Who wants icecream? http://bestsmileys.com/icecream/1.gif

Or in this case maybe something a little stronger? http://bestsmileys.com/drinks/4.gif

Who wants to turn this into a party thread??? :crazy: Who wants to bartend? Who's making popcorn (or Jello shots hehehe)? :D

I agree 100%!