Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mucus Covered Stools - Sample already taken to the vet

PetFriendly
August 17th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Does anyone have any links to information about causes for mucus covered stools? Charley (almost 7 month old pom mix) has been having them every few weeks (never more then two in a row) since the end of June. I had originally thought them to be related to the heat but he had one on Monday and it hasn't been that warm here. (And yes, for those of you who read the post in the training section, I realise that a sick puppy can be a cranky one)

The stools are not runny and are 'normal' coloured. There is also no blood in them, nor any black portion to indicate digested blood. He isn't/hasn't vomited either.

I took Monday's sample to the vet and had them test it. They just called to say it was negative.

He's eating as well as he usually does, he drinking water normally and has a little less energy than normal and my room-mate claims he looks 'depressed'. After I hit send, I'm calling the vet to make an appointment, but would really like any tips or ideas any of you might have so I can ask the vet what he's looking for and include anything else you come up with. Thanks so much,
Shan

PetFriendly
August 17th, 2005, 01:17 PM
One more thing. When I spoke with the Vet Tech who relayed the info about the sample being negative, they mentioned that the vet suggested I bring the puppy in just to get checked over. This gives me the impression that I'm worrying for nothing, if this was a bad symptome, they would have called me right away and told me he should come in for more tests, right?! Also, I didn't speak with the vet, only the tech, so maybe some of the message got 'lost' between him and I?!

Beaglemom
August 17th, 2005, 01:39 PM
There are several things that could be causing the stools covered with mucous. It could be constipation or colitis or something else. I have included some links that may be of some help.
http://www.afghans-online.co.uk/campy.htm
http://www.2ndchance.info/diarrhea.htm
http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/Articles/colitis.htm

I would strongly recommend that you take the vet tech's advice and have your puppy examined by the vet.

PetFriendly
August 17th, 2005, 03:59 PM
I took the pup to the vet. She did all the standard stuff, temp, heart rate, etc. She wasn't overly concerned given his otherwise ok disposition and history of not being able to 'handle' human food. She suggested rice and cottage cheese diet for a few days in case its a stomach flu but didn't recommend blood work or x-rays as she didn't feel they were necessary at this point. But did say that if there was any change for the worse to call ASAP and bring him back in, that they would take him on an emergency appointment. Lucky for me my room-mate is off this week and can call me if he's not well during the day.

Beaglemom
August 17th, 2005, 04:03 PM
I'm glad that everything turned out well. Thanks for the update.

What do you normally feed your pup?

PetFriendly
August 17th, 2005, 04:34 PM
He eats Eukanuba, small breed puppy food. He's never eaten more than 2/3 of the recommended serving size and I leave the food down all morning until I leave, then put it back down as soon as I get home (with lots of fanfare). The treats he gets are also from Eukanuba and are designed for puppies.

Beaglemom
August 17th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Okay, the reason why I asked what food he eats is because you had mentioned before that he doesn't handle human food very well. Some dogs also don't handle switching food quickly either. Some dogs get loose stools just by having a little tiny tidbit of someone's meal. If this is happening intermittently, could it be some people food that he is getting a hold of? Try to think back to when he gets his mucousy stool and try to remember if he ate something that was very fatty or something that he normally doesn't eat.

As for Eukanuba, it isn't a bad food, but for about the same price, you could get one that is of a better quality. I used to feed my Beagle Misty Eukanuba, but have recently switched her to Solid Gold and she loves it. Just a thought.