Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is chocolate really bad for dogs?

Yoho
August 17th, 2005, 10:05 AM
I've heard that chocolate can cause a dog to die. Is this true?

BMDLuver
August 17th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Yes, chocolate can kill a dog... bakers chocolate is particuliarly deadly.

Dogastrophe
August 17th, 2005, 10:23 AM
A chemical in the cocobean called theobromine is toxic to dogs. Depending on the type of chocolate the toxicity can be low to extreme. See the following site for a nice breakdown of toxicity levels: http://pets.robbiehaf.com/chocolate.htm

Cheers,

White Wolf
August 17th, 2005, 02:32 PM
It kills dogs, but in a terrible way. Dogs can go into seizures from chocolate poisoning and it is horrible to see. :sad:

puppy4ever
August 17th, 2005, 02:38 PM
I've read many sources that say it's very dangerous for your dog.

I also think onions are a no-no...as are some plants (I have to give some of mine away).

One very confusing thing is garlic! I've seen it mentioned that is bad but see it constantly in dog food???

Rottielover
August 17th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Garlic in decent amounts is healthy for your dog, BUT OIGnions are not. Diff thing altogether

puppy4ever
August 17th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Good to know about the garlic.

I also heard there is new research being done on the ill effects of grapes and raisins. Don't think those are good either.

Melinda
August 17th, 2005, 03:18 PM
my 45 pound beagle got into the garbage while we were out one time,(someone left the porch door open) in it was the "spoils" from us cleaning out our freezer, she was a chocoholic *L* she ate one full size chocolate cake (two layers) with chocolate icing, 3- one pound chocolate bunnies left over from easter and a bag of mixed chocolate easter eggs. Besides being bloated and having a touch of the "runs" the next day, she was fine.

StaceyB
August 17th, 2005, 03:18 PM
www.aspca.org poison control center

Melinda
August 17th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Good to know about the garlic.

I also heard there is new research being done on the ill effects of grapes and raisins. Don't think those are good either.
it's the seeds in the grapes, if you get the seedless ones, they are quite harmless.

White Wolf
August 17th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Grapes cause kidney failure in the long run. Seeds or no seeds.

StaceyB
August 17th, 2005, 03:21 PM
It is the seeds of an apple, the whole grape as WW mentioned cause kidney failure.

marko
August 17th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Here's tip # 20 from
http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-20.htm

But yes chocolate is bad for dogs - VERY bad. The purer the chocolate the greater the threat.

toby's tracy
August 18th, 2005, 06:34 AM
my 45 pound beagle got into the garbage while we were out one time,(someone left the porch door open) in it was the "spoils" from us cleaning out our freezer, she was a chocoholic *L* she ate one full size chocolate cake (two layers) with chocolate icing, 3- one pound chocolate bunnies left over from easter and a bag of mixed chocolate easter eggs. Besides being bloated and having a touch of the "runs" the next day, she was fine.

You threw that stuff out?! How can you throw out chocolate? I don't understand...it goes against my very core...

But seriously...when Toby was going through teething many people recommended that I make ice cubes from chicken or beef bouillon, yet when I thought about doing it I noticed that onions were on the ingredeient list.

Since I had heard that onions weren't a great idea, I decided against it.

But it seems that quite a few people do this and evidently have no ill effects.

Since then, I have also seen a dog treat at a pet supply store that sells natural pet foods - garlic and onion flavoured...so I do not know what to believe anymore! :confused:

Melinda
August 18th, 2005, 07:11 AM
*L* sorry Toby's Tracy, it was chocolate from easter which made it about 5 months old and thats why we ditched it *L* Believe me, I'm a chocoholic, if it were any good, I'd have munched it down. When my last dog was ill with her liver, the vet said to take her off anything with onion in it, onion flavoring is usually artificial in products so they are quite safe. But real onions are bad for their livers from what he said.

coppperbelle
August 18th, 2005, 07:21 AM
We now know that chocolate is bad for dogs but when I was growing up my neighbors had this little ugly dog. It was so fat. As a treat this dog was given chocolate every day of its life. Not just one piece but a number of pieces per day. He lived to be about 100 years old. Seriously he was probably around 15 when he died.

Melinda
August 18th, 2005, 07:33 AM
My beagle was 15 when she passed away also.