Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Daphne needs one more surgery

BMDLuver
August 17th, 2005, 08:05 AM
We took Daphne to the vets again yesterday and she needs one more corrective surgery on each eye. She has entropia and ectropia so her eyelashes and fur are scraping the eyes still causing more ulcers. She is receiving ointment at the moment to help with the problem. I have attached a photo of her since her last surgery. She needs to have some of the lower lid cut in a pie shape then stitched together and the upper lid needs to be tightened in the outside corner. It's basically like having an eye job in a human. This will make her much more comfortable and she won't require ointment daily which she is really getting fed up with. Any ideas out there on a fundraiser to help pay for the surgery? These gals have kind of tapped the well dry so to speak. :o

Toonces
August 17th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Oh BMD the poor girlie,

how bout a car wash or a yard sale?

poodletalk
August 17th, 2005, 09:09 AM
From experience, I would suggest a huge garage sale (Not junk sale) and try to have it at a JE Mondou parking lot. You are hitting the right target audience, either they will buy your stuff or give you a donation.

BMDLuver
August 17th, 2005, 09:10 AM
I'm considering selling some of my antiques off. I dust them and put them away from the girls all the time. A few should bring a good buck.

happycats
August 17th, 2005, 09:22 AM
BMDluver I wish you were closer, I have LOTS of stuff I could give for a yard sale !!!

I wonder if you can call up any of the dog food (treat toy) manufacture, and get stuff cheap or donated for a fundraiser??
I must say, I have never had anyone at my door selling pet stuff for an animal in need fundraiser, but for sure, I would buy anything they were selling!!

BMDLuver
August 17th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Ordered a bunch of stuff from Pet Edge to see it's quality and was thinking that I could sell some of them... just trying to figure out a venue. They have reasonable prices... check them out.

http://www.petedge.com/

Guess could combine a yard sale with good stuff and dog toys as well... hmmm Maybe something at Finnegan's market one Saturday?

Lucky Rescue
August 17th, 2005, 09:59 AM
If you want to go to Finnegan's you need to call them now, since there are very few spaces open!

You should also contact the media - maybe the Gazette for the West Island section.

BMDLuver
August 17th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Thanks LR. I think if we do something it will be placed in the gazette and the news and chronicle as well, perhaps even the Local Journal.

I'm not sure if we are allowed to have Daphne there as a meet n greet, see why kind of thing?

poodletalk
August 17th, 2005, 10:44 AM
If you are having a fundraiser, why don't you have a silent auction for your antiques? The Bond Foundation use to have a silent auction with their lunch fundraiser, and raised alot of money!

BMDLuver
August 17th, 2005, 11:02 AM
If you are having a fundraiser, why don't you have a silent auction for your antiques? The Bond Foundation use to have a silent auction with their lunch fundraiser, and raised alot of money!
Thanks Poodletalk... I'm not sure how a silent auction works... a few pieces are quite valuable so I hesitate to let them be just bid on lightly.. We had thought of Ebay but the dealers all said that it was better to go with an auctioneer or take a cut from a dealer.

poodletalk
August 17th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Basically, you get your pieces apparaised first. You know the item A is worth minium 100$ you start the bid at 100$ People go look at item A if they like it,they write down their names on a piece of paper and they place their bid 110.00$ then it goes on from there. At the end of the fundraiser, you announce who won Item A and then they go pay you for it.

BMDLuver
August 17th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Thanks Poodletalk, then that would work out well too! We are planning a dinner night so maybe there could be a silent auction there at that time! :thumbs up

Dogastrophe
August 17th, 2005, 12:01 PM
With a silent auction it is a good idea to set a minimum incremental bid amount. I've been to some where they organizers failed to do this and ended up getting bids in $0.05 increments.

Lizzie
August 17th, 2005, 12:05 PM
A slient auction is a really good way to spice up a dinner/banquet. It gives the guests something to chat about and a game to play--with real money. You may also consider trying to get some other items into the auction though. A few antiques are great, but not everyone is into the antique thing---perhaps a painting, (or someone to donate their skill to doing a painting f from a family photo or something like that), local restaurants or spas might also pitch in gift certificates if you promise to put a poster up at the dinner to advertise their place.

I don't know about Quebec, but Montana's for one is always happy to donate a 20 dollar dinner gift certificate. You could bundle it together with some movie passes that the theatre may give you and perhaps get a 20 dollar donation or something for it.

Just a few ideas to get you going!

happycats
August 17th, 2005, 12:12 PM
I don't know if this helps at all, but here is a website. http://www.petsmart.com/charities/programs/rw_learnmore.shtml

BMDLuver
August 17th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Wow, thanks everyone... some really great ideas. I think the silent auction is a good one and having a bunch of different items is definitely a great idea as I know from experience with my husband.. he has no use for antiques, lol

proudfosterdad
August 31st, 2005, 02:13 PM
Aww What A Sweetie :) What You Are Doing Is Great And I Honour That :) Great Job .

SOS MIOW
September 1st, 2005, 02:08 AM
There are lots of bazaars coming up. We took a table last weekend at an outdoor rummage sale sponsored by a group of nurses who are trying to raise money to go to Somalia. The table was $20 and we got to keep all money we made. We sold misc things and had pamphlets about our group. Our collection box took in a lot of money from animal lovers.

Check the local papers for fundraising rummage sales - people are more willing to spend at these things when they know that the table cost is going to a good cause.

BMDLuver
September 1st, 2005, 08:14 AM
Thanks SOS Miow. I'm working on doing something where the public can meet her as well so that they can see what a lovely girl she is and what still needs to be done to give her optimum sight. Bazaars are always great fun!

Thanks Proudfosterdad! :)