Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Nasty Newbies

happycats
August 16th, 2005, 09:29 PM
What the heck is it with these new posters lately?

They come here asking for advise and opinions, and when you give it to them in a kind and pleasant way, they get all nasty and insulting!! :mad:

What with all these new rules we have to be so kind and nice, yet these new posters can treat others like crap, whats with that?

Why come here asking for advise and opinions, if you are going to be a pompous ass when you are given them ??

Sorry, but thats my rant for the evening !

No no offence to the kind and friendly newbies :)

BMDLuver
August 16th, 2005, 09:32 PM
lol Happycats... that's why I love the headbanging smiley... says it all while I'm able to remain polite. :D

happycats
August 16th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Oh BMDluver, thanks for making me smile, and you are right, I should just use smileys more often!!! http://bestsmileys.com/frustrated/4.gif

I like this one!http://bestsmileys.com/frustrated/7.gif

Puppyluv
August 16th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Amen to that! (In a non-denominational sense of course [can never be tooo careful these days ;) ])

Cookiesmom
August 16th, 2005, 09:46 PM
I am one of the newbies, and to be honest with you, I am not impressed with the tone of some members, particularly some senior contributors. I have never asked a question of anyone yet, and after reading recent posts/threads, I am reconsidering whether or not I want to be associated with pets.ca. The moderators have instituted so many rules that it is difficult to conduct an open forum. We seem to be very restricted with what we can say. Isn't this site intended for the benefit of helping animals? Why is there so much bickering going on? I for one am not interested in belonging to such a group and will no longer be posting.

marko
August 16th, 2005, 10:20 PM
I would be willing to bet that some of the newbies are trolls. If you suspect that this is the case please let a mod or an admin know by PM.

thx

Marko
ADMIN

Prin
August 17th, 2005, 12:37 AM
I am one of the newbies, and to be honest with you, I am not impressed with the tone of some members, particularly some senior contributors. I have never asked a question of anyone yet, and after reading recent posts/threads, I am reconsidering whether or not I want to be associated with pets.ca. The moderators have instituted so many rules that it is difficult to conduct an open forum. We seem to be very restricted with what we can say. Isn't this site intended for the benefit of helping animals? Why is there so much bickering going on? I for one am not interested in belonging to such a group and will no longer be posting.
So are they modding too much or not enough? :confused: :confused:

ILoveMutts!
August 17th, 2005, 07:19 AM
Trolls throw flame bait. When you flame them, you are playing their game and providing them entertainment. It will only make them troll again and even attract more trolls to the board.

BMDLuver
August 17th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Lol Happycats, I like the monkey dude! :highfive:

toby's tracy
August 17th, 2005, 07:30 AM
So are they modding too much or not enough? :confused: :confused:

My sense is that, due to some recent nasty threads, the mods have had to set up a strict set of rules.

Before this, there were many 'warnings' about being nice to each other. The warnings were ignored by many, and so rules were set up, which are being enforced.

If people could just be nice to each other, locking of threads wouldn't be necessary.

My perspective? I have been spending much less time here over the past month or so because I was put off by a lot of the comments that I read.

I keep coming back because I find the majority of members really do care about sharing pet-related info and I am learning to keep away from posts that I feel are turning nasty.

happycats
August 17th, 2005, 07:43 AM
I keep coming back because I find the majority of members really do care about sharing pet-related info and I am learning to keep away from posts that I feel are turning nasty.

I agree, and I stay away from the nasty ones too. But on this particular thread, all was going nice, and I was trying to be helpful, and gave advice in a kind and pleasant way, then BAM without warning, this poster got rude!! (Maybe thats why his dog doesn't like him??? ;) )

At least I know now, that he is a troll, and will avoid all of his posts!! Maybe when school starts we will get some peace and quiet! :D

chico2
August 17th, 2005, 08:13 AM
IMO,lets not loose focus on why we are here,we love animals,at least that is why I am here and I enjoy"talking"to people equally nutty as me... :D
I admit,I am a bit gullible and tend to believe people are telling the truth,but this is the Internet and it takes all kinds..
But mostly I think we are a good bunch of people,not always seeing eye to eye,but that's reality.
I have sat here,cried a million tears,to the point that hubby thinks I need outside help :evil: but have had many laughs and been elated when our rescue-people save a little unfortunate soul.
The Forum has a back-bone of wonderful caring people and if someone cannot accept advice given,then do not ask a question.
We are here to help animals,not to pat someone on the back,who is oblivious to an animals suffering.
So,lets get back to the focus of the Forum,which is PETS.CA :thumbs up

BMDLuver
August 17th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Good post Chico! :highfive:

happycats
August 17th, 2005, 08:58 AM
I have sat here,cried a million tears,to the point that hubby thinks I need outside help :evil: Me too!!!! Hubby got really mad one time (when Moose died :sad: ) I was bawling like a baby, and he ask me why the h*ll I come here, if it makes me cry and get so upset like that!!

but have had many laughs and been elated when our rescue-people save a little unfortunate soul.
And that's why I come here I explained to my husband!! And to help in anyway I can!!

The Forum has a back-bone of wonderful caring people and if someone cannot accept advice given,then do not ask a question.
We are here to help animals,not to pat someone on the back,who is oblivious to an animals suffering.
So,lets get back to the focus of the Forum,which is PETS.CA :thumbs up

Amen to that!! I do it for the pets!!! :)

heidiho
August 17th, 2005, 11:00 AM
There are alot of trolls here in my opinion,some of the posts i see here are beyond ridicoulous....

marko
August 17th, 2005, 11:31 AM
If there ARE a lot of trolls then please just take a moment to send relevant info (threads URL's with post #'s and suspected newbie troll usernames) to an admin or mod.

We try to do our best...but we cannot be on top of all threads at all times.

Thanks

Marko

Trinitie
August 17th, 2005, 01:34 PM
I've seen my beloved Pets.ca take a beating in the eyes of our members, and it causes me pain.

We are all volunteers. We do not get paid to help people with pet problems, yet here we sit, day after day. I'm adicted to helping pets in any way I can. If that means reading trash talk, then that's what I have to do.

We all would much rather not have to enforce any type of rule. I would LOVE to sit here and laugh with the rest of you. But, unfortunately, the mods usually don't have that luxury. I, along with the other mods, have to muddle through post after post, looking for "incorrect" wording, personal information, trolls that slip through the cracks, and other things we'd much rather not be doing. Do I like closing threads or deleting posts? Not in the slightest. I wish I didn't have to.

Too many times I've tried to turn a blind eye, and hope that things work themselves out. We can't afford to do that anymore. Warning after warning after warning do nothing. Unless we actually dole out the punishment, and prove that we're serious, it seems like we're not taken seriously. We ask that people PLEASE treat each other with respect, and not jump to conclusions, but that's not always the way it's done. We're forced to step in, become the "bad guy" and become the subjects of many an angry word. I'm a real person at the end of the keyboard. I WISH I could sit here and just surf around, reading funny stories, looking at cute pictures, and not expecting the world to come crumbling down around my ears. I WISH I didn't always expect the worst.

I used to roam the boards, looking for interesting titles to read, wondering if so&so's dog is finally potty trained - or if there was a particular way that so&so took a specific picture to get their pet to look so cute. Now, I look for titles that don't look right.

I want the good-old days back! I want to just come here and have fun again! As a community, as a family, we CAN get Pets.ca back to the way it used to be! As mods, we might not be loved, heck we might not even be liked, but if that's what it takes for the members here to have an enjoyable experience, then I'm willing to be the one that nobody likes - for the sake of the members of Pets.ca. I'll sacrafice my fun for the sake of you.

DogueLover
August 17th, 2005, 02:16 PM
I think that maybe the general concensus here is that most members here are NOT against the changes and will abide by the new rules, it goes with the territory of being a member to any organization or club. There are rules and regulations that are to be followed and if you don`t agree with them then you have the option of not being involved. I think that is the same for Pets.ca.
Those who are going to bash the moderators need to sit back in their chair for a minute and put themselves in the mods shoes. We as members have the choice of only looking at the posts that interest us and are free to make comments and suggestions to posts by other members. We do not, however, have the right to judge, criticize or belittlle anyone on the board, lets face it, how well do you really know ANYONE who comes to this board? As a moderator, you have to view ALL the posts, how many members have that amount of time on thier hands with all the other things you are involved in? Being a moderator is a hard job and I don`t think members of this site have the right to be judging what the moderators HAVE to do in order to keep members and make this site civil for new members.
If you think you can do a better job ask Marko if you can be a moderator, lets see how fast the "fun" goes out of the job for you.
Trinitie, I understand how the events over the past month here have affected you, you are just doing your job, however thankless it may be.
Maybe we need a new poll to show the moderators and administrators just how many members appreciate what they have done to clean up the crap that used to be here. I think pets.ca will truly benefit from your actions, and if those who have a problem following the rules decide to leave, and more new members join, what is the harm in that?
Keep up the good work, it is finally looking like members are being held accountable for their words, if it keeps them from getting rude and out of hand then no harm done IMHO. :thumbs up

heidiho
August 17th, 2005, 02:30 PM
As far as i see it bottom line is IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE WAY THINGS ARE RUN HERE,THEN LEAVE,it really is simple,i do not watch things on tv i do not like...Why stay here only to complain about how they run there website.I cant believe how many posts i am seeing here of people complaining,LEAVE.................

White Wolf
August 17th, 2005, 02:43 PM
I really like this thread. :thumbs up Thanks for your understanding!! I just wish that you all would report suspicious posts and/or suspicious members to us. Don't be shy about that. No matter what, you won't be wasting our time by making us aware of your concerns. :)

Jazz&Cricket
August 17th, 2005, 04:12 PM
As a relative newcomer (June - when I posted a found dog), I guess I've been fortunate not to read too many nasty posts, bearing in mind, that I usually only read posts that have a title that interests me or one where I might possibly have an answer.

For the most part, I have found that the people who have replied to my questions, or given me feedback on pictures, are nice people.

As for the moderating of posts.....I do have mixed feelings but if someone is trolling (I didn't even know what that term meant until I came here!) or being totally inappropriate...then the moderators have to do what they think is best.
Check out some unmoderated sites to see how bad it can get! :yuck:

So to the moderators, keep up the good work (unrewarding as it must be at times), to my fellow posters (hmmm, is there a proper word for the people posting to a forum??), let's try to keep it civil so the moderators can have some time to enjoy the boards too....and perhaps we should all remember to "think" before hitting "send".

Take care everyone.

chico2
August 17th, 2005, 04:31 PM
I honestly do not think we have a lot of trolling going on,they are usually spotted right away and we answer accordingly.
I also do not think we have many nasty newbies,most are getting a big welcome and we are eager to see pics of their pets and get to know them,or if they have a problem,try to help.
As for the mods,you are doing a good job,although sometimes a Thread might have been shut down too soon,but I am sure you know what you are doing and I am greatful.I've fallen in to a trap more than once,because I tend to believe people,but I have been enlightened :D

melanie
August 17th, 2005, 06:10 PM
can i jsut say that this board has done something really special in my life, yes thats right, i met a canadian and an american here, something i had never ever done in my life and wasnt sure when i would.

yuppers to that, i had never ever spoken to anyone from your countries in my life, my opinion of you and impression came strictly from tv, and shows like south park and simpsons do little for a girls impressionalble mind :p

so under all of the thick heavy soupy stuff, i am getting a unique experience here, and hey i may never meet a person from your lands face to face so if this is as far as it goes thats cool, you ahve really changedm y opinion about canadians and americans whcich due to stereotyppes may not have been overtly positive.. i was pretty unsure of yall before but now find apart from the fact you dont get much of my english, your all jsut the same as me. and if anythign else thats a great lesson for life, and something that will help me as a person. hey i never considerded canada as a holiday destination before, now im dying to get there....

and i hope you all have found aussie to be friendly and in general funny buggers, i hope i give a good impression of my ppl like you do yours.... :D .

happycats
August 17th, 2005, 06:17 PM
can i jsut say that this board has done something really special in my life, yes thats right, i met a canadian and an american here, something i had never ever done in my life and wasnt sure when i would.

yuppers to that, i had never ever spoken to anyone from your countries in my life, my opinion of you and impression came strictly from tv, and shows like south park and simpsons do little for a girls impressionalble mind :p

so under all of the thick heavy soupy stuff, i am getting a unique experience here, and hey i may never meet a person from your lands face to face so if this is as far as it goes thats cool, you ahve really changedm y opinion about canadians and americans whcich due to stereotyppes may not have been overtly positive.. i was pretty unsure of yall before but now find apart from the fact you dont get much of my english, your all jsut the same as me. and if anythign else thats a great lesson for life, and something that will help me as a person. hey i never considerded canada as a holiday destination before, now im dying to get there....

and i hope you all have found aussie to be friendly and in general funny buggers, i hope i give a good impression of my ppl like you do yours.... :D .
Oh Mel, I have always wanted to visit Australia!! and see all the wonderful wildlife you guys have :love:

And it's so nice having people from all oever the world here, I learn so much coming here.....Like poo tossing :crazy: LMAO

Prin
August 17th, 2005, 06:20 PM
:D I don't think we have a bad stereotype of Australians. I think the only stereotypes we have about you are that you're:
1. always having more fun than us
2. in the company of much hotter men than we are...

WhKnight
August 17th, 2005, 06:21 PM
This forum has been very supportive to me over the last two and a half months with Maya's various ups and downs, and I have really enjoyed the pictures and the funny posts, as well as feeling sorrow for those who have lost their pets. I knew, when I was feeling at my wits' end with Maya's condition, that I would find sympathy and virtual backrubs here.

I've been a member of a lot of different email lists and what I've often found is as the list grows, there are more tiffs and people who insist on being rude. I am all for free speech but don't think anyone has the right to bash anyone else. Everyone has their opinions; my experience has been that people are more apt to listen to me if I express myself in an appropriate and respectful tone.

I appreciate the moderators who serve as "firefighters" to try to keep the flaming to a minimum. It makes this place nicer for all of us. :thumbs up

Karin
August 17th, 2005, 08:19 PM
When I first dove into this board headfirst it was a pets only orientated board. Marko saw the need for a personal forum and added the "Off Topic" forum. Then other topics followed.

My gripe is a thread that "beats the dead horse"..pack mentality....the poster is long gone but the regulars keep hacking away until a full blown arguement is in progress. These can last for days...geez folks, if I was a newbie viewing one of these threads I would tuck my tail and run too. Like myself I am sure most of these people work and by the time they log back on there is a **** fest going on with their thread...this is not a good welcome mat for anyone viewing, guests included.

I'll shut up up now and sit on my couch.

Lucky Rescue
August 17th, 2005, 08:29 PM
and i hope you all have found aussie to be friendly and in general funny buggers, i hope i give a good impression of my ppl like you do yours

Yeah, and to top it off, you make really great wine in Aussieland!!:D
http://bestsmileys.com/drinking/20.gif

happycats
August 17th, 2005, 09:10 PM
I'll shut up up now and sit on my couch.

http://bestsmileys.com/bouncing/19.gif

Me too!!!! Oh goodness Karin, you really should do some dusting around here (spending to much time on pets. I guess :p )

shannon1233A
August 17th, 2005, 09:16 PM
and see all the wonderful wildlife you guys have
hmmm wildlife and guys in the same sentence....now that's interesting even at my age :crazy:

Karin
August 17th, 2005, 09:22 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/bouncing/19.gif

Me too!!!! Oh goodness Karin, you really should do some dusting around here (spending to much time on pets. I guess :p )

What? I thought YOU were dusting!..... Lmsao!

*Psst...dump any popcorn, go for the jello shots...yummmmm.!

happycats
August 17th, 2005, 09:22 PM
hmmm wildlife and guys in the same sentence....now that's interesting even at my age :crazy:

We definately know where your mind is :rolleyes:

http://bestsmileys.com/drooling/1.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/flasher/1.gif

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 17th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Prin and Mel re: Australia
1. always having more fun than us
2. in the company of much hotter men than we are...

I am not Australian, but I did go there before kids and hubby came along..and well the men were hot and I had the best time in my life. Especially in Byron Bay.

Byrd
August 17th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Hey guys and gals. I'm a Newbie, but I guarantee you I'm not a troll or any such thing. Just legitimately here to get advice, and maybe help out a few people. Did I come at a bad time? :confused:

~~ Byrd

Puppyluv
August 17th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Aww Byrd, don't take offense from the thread title :o
Just lately there have been some "newbies" who seem to have alterior motives in their posts. Deffinately everyone, just some.
So please don't feel lumped into the description of "nasty newbies"

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 17th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Hey I am technically new too I have only been posting since March 5 months, so welcome all you fellow newbies. I think after a certain number posts your no longer new. One day I looked and I was all of sudden a senior member but really I still feel kind of green.

:)

happycats
August 18th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Hey guys and gals. I'm a Newbie, but I guarantee you I'm not a troll or any such thing. Just legitimately here to get advice, and maybe help out a few people. Did I come at a bad time? :confused:

~~ Byrd

Sorry Byrd, I did not mean you! (as you can see in my original post) :)

no offence to the kind and friendly newbies :)

chico2
August 18th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Mel,I have actually known a few Australians in my life and came to the conclusion...most Aussies are a little loonie,but a nice loonie(before anyone gets excited!!)life often mirrors the Loonie Tunes,at least in my house :evil:
Your posts never fail to give me a chuckle and boy,do we need chuckles most of the time :love:

Schwinn
August 18th, 2005, 10:06 AM
I don't think any topic should be off limits. I come here for the pets, but I'm also here for the off-topic forum. If we are truly adults here, we should be able to discuss and debate anything. And yes, things may get heated once in a while, that's bound to happen. Personally, I think if a topic is something that revs you up beyond being able to control yourself, then don't go in the thread. I've avoided a couple of threads for that reason. Personally, I enjoy a good debate, and one of the reasons I enjoy this board is the sometimes intelligent debates (and the sometimes unintelligent banter! ;) )

Byrd
August 18th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Oh, I know you guys didn't mean me, I just wanted to make sure nobody thought I was. :angel:

Prin
August 18th, 2005, 01:11 PM
No, no, trolls don't usually have such good lookin' pets. :)

melanie
August 18th, 2005, 06:00 PM
hi guysm, i need to clarify a bit...

i did not write the above post to draw attention to myself or make the conversation revolve around me, i did it as i thought the coversation was getting negative and i wanted to make ppl smile and feel a bit lighter about the issue..

if this has been taken as my desperate desire to be the centre of the world i am sorry as this was not my intention, i was trying to be lighthearted is all..

if anyone thinks im selfobsessed and crappy idiot, then feel free to have it deleted, again im sorry if this offended anyone else.

sorry for interupting, i wont do it again.

nymph
August 18th, 2005, 06:04 PM
hey melanie, whenever I read your post I keep saying your words with an Aussie accent in my head! Am I nuts or what?! :D

happycats
August 18th, 2005, 06:05 PM

i did not write the above post to draw attention to myself or make the conversation revolve around me, i did it as i thought the coversation was getting negative and i wanted to make ppl smile and feel a bit lighter about the issue..

if this has been taken as my desperate desire to be the centre of the world i am sorry as this was not my intention, i was trying to be lighthearted is all..

if anyone thinks im selfobsessed and crappy idiot, then feel free to have it deleted, again im sorry if this offended anyone else.

HUH?!!!
Whatever are you talking about?? I for one saw your post the way you intended it to be (thus the poo tossing comment :) )

Didn't you notice that this post lightened right up after your post?

Don't worry, all is well!!

BMDLuver
August 18th, 2005, 06:05 PM

I took your post to be kind of like an ice breaker! Which is a good thing! :D (that comment is for clarity as I have no idea if that is a canadianism or not :eek: )

melanie
August 18th, 2005, 06:07 PM
nah thats not crazy, i can hear your canadian drawl loud and clear, always have. and each of you have different voices in my head, and lal the men sound the same, like the nice canadian news man i heard once who had a 'smoooooth' canadian voice, its quite nice.

and then the americans, well you should hear their accents in my head, its hilarious...

ps- last post written mid cranky tantrum, take with grain of salt :D or chunk of ice :p

Byrd
August 18th, 2005, 06:57 PM
No, no, trolls don't usually have such good lookin' pets. :)

Ah, thanks! :D

Karin
August 18th, 2005, 09:18 PM
[QUOTE=melanie]nah thats not crazy, i can hear your canadian drawl loud and clear, always have. and each of you have different voices in my head, and lal the men sound the same, like the nice canadian news man i heard once who had a 'smoooooth' canadian voice, its quite nice.

and then the americans, well you should hear their accents in my head, its hilarious...

Uhm, Melanie.....if you hear voices in your head I am sure glad theres a huge ocean between us. You really should have that checked out..lol!

Prin
August 18th, 2005, 10:57 PM
nah thats not crazy, i can hear your canadian drawl loud and clear, always have. and each of you have different voices in my head, and lal the men sound the same, like the nice canadian news man i heard once who had a 'smoooooth' canadian voice, its quite nice.
Umm...http://bestsmileys.com/paranoid/3.gif Mel... And what do those voices say? http://bestsmileys.com/freak/2.gif Do you have enough money to come to Canada any time soon? I mean it would be great if you could... http://bestsmileys.com/eek/3.gif

Just kidding. We'll still invite you to the pets.ca picnic... :) http://bestsmileys.com/hugging/1.gif

Luvmypit
August 19th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Theres a picnic??? lol

Kariia
August 23rd, 2005, 11:51 AM
I find it's gotten better. Before the rules I was
http://bestsmileys.com/angry1/9.gif with all the trolls...

So, now...

http://bestsmileys.com/textinbubble1/23.gif

http://bestsmileys.com/hyper/2.gif

Prin
August 23rd, 2005, 01:16 PM
Theres a picnic??? lol
Uh..... oh... Uh. No. No. There's no picnic. :o :evil: