Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crazy Cats!

Yoho
August 16th, 2005, 08:30 PM
I grew up with cats. We always had cats and litters in various stages. Playing with the litters was certainly among the highlights of my childhood. I have a story to share about one cat that literally went insane and I'm telling the story because I'm wondering if anyone else has ever experienced anything similar. I'm wondering how common this problem is.

This particular barn cat was tiger stripped and her name, ironically, was "Claws". I raised her by hand when I was 9 years old because her mother had died in childbirth. I used a very cute little bottle with a nipple to feed her watered down evaporated milk. She was a playful kitten and earned her name. I naturally became very attached to her and my father let me bring her to live in the city when we moved from the country.

She got on well and raised a fine litter of kittens not long afterwards. When she went into heat again, we tried our best to keep her away from the males who came spraying (yes, now I know better than to let a cat go un-neutered so don't lecture please), but she got pregnant again. Oddly though this time after the kittens were about one week old and SO cute, my father and I were getting ready to go to the laundromat and Claws suddenly attacked my Dad's leg. He kicked to get it off and she went into the air as I watched. She literally twisted in mid-air and lunged with her claws out and her mouth open at my face. I managed to dive my head into a pillow to save my face.

She ripped huge long scratches down my back with her splayed claws. She shredded the shirt I was wearing. A series of very quick movements by my father managed to get me in the basement behind a door and he in another room. The cat was howling and lunging the whole time. I waited while my father called the humane society and asked them what to do. They said to throw a blanket over it, put it in a box, and bring it in along with the litter of kittens to be put down.

Several attempts at getting a blanket over this raging cat were unsuccessful. At a loss as to what to do at this point, my father got out his pellet gun and shot the cat many times before it finally gave up the ghost. It was a horrifying experience for me. I had loved this cat dearly but had been so amazed by it's sheer insanity that I felt killing it was necessary and I only felt sad for my father having to do it himself. We brought the remains and the kittens to the humane society and they tested for rabies.

They told us that the mother cat developed a form of insanity that happens when a cat is not weaned properly. They said that the kittens had to be put down because they would be likely to develop the same insanity since they would now miss being weaned properly as well. It was a very sad and scary day.

Has anyone else ever had something like that happen or heard of such a weaning disease?

Lucky Rescue
August 16th, 2005, 09:55 PM
I wish I hadn't read this gruesome and graphic story.:(

They told us that the mother cat developed a form of insanity that happens when a cat is not weaned properly. They said that the kittens had to be put down because they would be likely to develop the same insanity since they would now miss being weaned properly as well. It was a very sad and scary day

That is utter and complete nonsense and sounds like an old wive's tale, although one I haven't heard yet.

It's more likely that this poor cat was alarmed by something and was trying to defend her litter.

StaceyB
August 16th, 2005, 10:19 PM
I also have never heard of this and wouldn't have agreed that this extreme would be necessary. I am sorry for you and the poor little kitties.

Yoho
August 16th, 2005, 10:26 PM
I wish I hadn't read this gruesome and graphic story.:(

That is utter and complete nonsense and sounds like an old wive's tale, although one I haven't heard yet.

It's more likely that this poor cat was alarmed by something and was trying to defend her litter.

Sorry to have posted something that disturbed you. I wasn't intending to disturb anyone.

I have seen alarmed cats try to defend their litter (and the kittens were not even in the room when it happened). This was WAY beyond any such thing. The cat was thrashing around and throwing itself at the doors, frothing at the mouth, howling and screeching madly, etc. for over an hour. The results showed it did not have rabies.

If you think the story about insanity from lack of weaning is false, what else could possibly cause such behaviour?

Lucky Rescue
August 16th, 2005, 10:40 PM
By "lack of weaning" do you mean an animal who is hand raised, or bottle fed by people?

If so, countless animals are bottle fed and are fine. "Insanity" has nothing to do with what goes into a kitten's stomach or where it gets the food from.

A kitten who is raised by people may have trouble later on relating to other cats, but that's about it.

I have seen queens go berserk when they feel their kittens are being threatened. A had one myself. Something scared a kitten and it started screeching. My mother cat went ballistic, raging all over the house like a tornado, attacking my other cats and nearly attacking me, but I got the baby quieted before she did.

She was then fine for the next 17 years.

With another mother cat, people had to wear hockey gear to care for her and her kittens, as she would fiercely attack anyone approaching them, aiming for their faces. She was fine when her kittens left.

I have no idea what was wrong with your cat, but I have seen cats do this when they have a severe case of earmites. She may have had a neurological disorder, but that has nothing to do with being bottlefed.

StaceyB
August 16th, 2005, 10:43 PM
I have the scars to prove it. The mother may of developed a problem but I doubt it would have also been in the kittens.

CyberKitten
August 16th, 2005, 11:37 PM
I just hope to God you protected your cat and did not euthaize her. Something must have set her off - she was protecting her kittens and it is utter nonsense to think weaning has anything to do with it. Rescue ppl see cats like this all the time - and even domestic cats with kittens on occasion. That's no excuse to kil lthem. What a horrible story!