Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need a Recommendation

Byrd
August 16th, 2005, 08:25 PM
I would like to get my dog into Flyball, but I don't know where a good training centre is near Oshawa. I have e-mailed SuperDog Central in Courtice twice now with no response. I will have to phone them, I guess.

So, in the meantime, does anyone know of any other places near here that teaches Flyball? By near Oshawa, I mean anywhere from Newcastle to Ajax.

Thanks.

PetFriendly
August 17th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Assuming of course you haven't looked here already, try your local CKC office, the Humane Society and any 'dog clubs'.

BMDLuver
August 17th, 2005, 07:29 AM
http://www.flyballinsanity.com/index.htm

These people are in Ottawa but they have a contact link so as they compete and train, perhaps they would have a recommendation for you. :)

mona_b
August 17th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Here is one in Ajax.

http://www.whoswalkingwho.net/

Here is one in Pickering.

http://www.k9klubhouse.ca/

Byrd
August 17th, 2005, 07:39 PM
I went in SD Central today. The trainer is supposed to call me sometime next week.

canis
August 23rd, 2005, 09:41 AM
I compete in flyball on 2 teams in the Ottawa area. I don't know how far you are from Belleville but you could try Hot Diggity Dogs, based in Belleville. It's a big club, they host great tournaments.I will get the team captain's email address for you.Try this site as well for teams close to you:

http://www.flyballdogs.com

This is Nat's email addy

natrat@sympatico.ca

Canis

Byrd
August 23rd, 2005, 09:31 PM
Thanks

I'm about two hours from Belleville. A little far. :(

canis
August 23rd, 2005, 11:03 PM
That's ok maybe she can recommend something in your area. Be sure that whereever you go to train for flyball that it's a reputable training facility that uses positive reinforcement. I know of one in the Bowamville area, won't name names that does not have the experience to teach the sport or qualified instrustors. Ideally you want instructors who competed in the sport in the last few years so they can teach you the "swimmers' turn". You can start at home. Here is a thread I responded earlier that might help you:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18729

Canis

Byrd
August 23rd, 2005, 11:13 PM
Thanks again. I did write your trainer and ask.

Um... the one you speak of is not "SuperDog Central" in Courtice, I hope.

canis
August 24th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Um... the one you speak of is not "SuperDog Central" in Courtice, I hope.

Oh my gosh - NO!

Canis

Byrd
August 24th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Your trainer wrote me back. Said she knows Morgan (From SDC) and said that she is very good. Now, if only they'd call me back!

So, is $150 for six weeks of lessons (1hr/week) a good price?

canis
August 25th, 2005, 10:35 AM
So, is $150 for six weeks of lessons (1hr/week) a good price?

I find that expensive. In this area we charge $85 to a max of $100 for 6 weeks, one hour a week. Mind you in the summer and Fall our overhead is low since we teach outside and we don't pay for the field. If you are training indoors, it usually means that the facility has to be rented and is reflected in the price. I have a friend in Super Dogs, would you like me to contact her to try and expedite your call back?

Canis

doggy lover
August 25th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Try starting Willow out with different things at home, Tucker loves to play on jungle gyms at the parks and loves going down slides, he also jumps over the kids on all fours on the ground and crawls under them. We have also taught him to go through hola hoops, this is his new trick. Teach her tricks Tucker does paw, other paw, high five, bow, crawl, roll over and speak. He gets so excited to learn a new trick, the hard part is slowing him down so he can actully learn it. Here is a pic of him going through a hoop, he is the red and white blur in the middle.

doggy lover
August 25th, 2005, 11:08 AM
here is another

canis
August 25th, 2005, 01:25 PM
That's exactly what I was talking about in the other thread I posted earlier. There are all kinds of things at home you can use to train. Two chairs, back to back,spread apart 4-5 feet, place a broom stick across the seats and you have a jump. A 5 foot long, 15 inches wide, propped on bricks, you have a small dog walk. The hula hoop in the picture is like the tire in agility.The list goes on....:)

Canis

Byrd
August 25th, 2005, 05:48 PM
K, I telephoned Super Dogs today and left a message, they left me a message back. So, I have more questions so I just called back again and left another message. LOL Phone tag.

As far as the price goes, they seem to be the only ones in my area who teach it, so do I really have a choice? :confused:

I've been trying to find a hoola hoop to train with, and unfortunately can't seem to. Also, I can't seem to find a park with a see saw. Willow is good at tricks too and loves them, she does the basics: sit, stay, come, down, (training these with hand signals as well), she also does shake a paw, the other one, high five, wave, speak and she is learning whisper, head down, and 'front'. And if you hold a ball or something up in the air she will jump up and get it on the command 'get it' (see pic). Also she can find which toy is which ("get your stuffy", "get your chewy", etc), knows who 'mom' is, and other smart things like that. She is also very ball oriented. Her only problem is that she doesn't give the ball back, and her recall does need to be worked on.

She also does seem to love performing for people. LOL

canis
August 29th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Make your own see saw/teeter board. You need a piece of wood/MDF cut square with rounded corners. The circumference should be about 4 feet. On the bottom you screw in a toilet flange or you can use a large sized post topper. If you use the post topper, you screw it in and then find a ball (a child's ball works well) and you stuff it in. Tada - a teeter board. With the toilet flange it has a rounded bottom already.Take out your clicker and treats. Stand on the board or beside it and as soon as your dog goes near it, click and treat. Next time he goes near it, don't click and treat but wait to see if he sniffs it or puts his paw on it , then click and treat. You will see in no time your dog will offer the behaviour and get on the board.

Canis

Byrd
August 29th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Unfortunately, I live in an apartment. I did take her to the park yesterday and had her climb the steps to the slide, and I slid her down in my lab. She didn't like it much.

I used a park bench and had her jump up at the end and walk along it and jump down at the other end. She didn't know what to do at first, so I showed her what I wanted and next time round she went up on her own. After about ten times of walking it, we started running it. She figured it out. She's so smart.

I don't know clicker training, and don't have one. I've voice and hand signal trained her.

canis
September 1st, 2005, 08:21 PM
Have you ever thought of competing in canine disc with your little athlete?
It's a blast and you don't need a lot equipment, your dog and a canine frisbee.I can tell you how to join if your are interested.

Canis

Byrd
September 1st, 2005, 10:09 PM
No, don't really know much about it. She hasn't learned to catch a frisbee yet. Her biggest problem is if she does, she doesn't bring it back!

Byrd
September 22nd, 2005, 05:36 PM
We're in! We start Flyball tonight! :D

doggy lover
September 22nd, 2005, 06:55 PM
Have a great time, where did you finally get in?

Byrd
September 22nd, 2005, 09:59 PM
Superdog Central.

Willow did really well, it's just her confidence level. But, the teacher said that for never having gone to an obedience class, she did really well.

doggy lover
September 23rd, 2005, 03:10 PM
So one day we might see Willow in a Superdog show or movie :D Where is it located and if you don't mind me asking how much? Glad you had a great time.

Byrd
September 23rd, 2005, 05:36 PM
It's in Courtice and $150 per class, which is six weeks.

Byrd
October 6th, 2005, 10:05 PM
She is doing AWESOME!

Byrd
January 6th, 2006, 06:05 PM
:party: We have been invited out for team practices once a week!!!! :crazy:

doggy lover
January 6th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Thats great, will I one day see Willow on the team at the CNE? I guess she must be doing really good. I wish I could get Tucker into something like that but, I don't drive and my hubby's job is so unpredictable. He just has to do with his home made stuff.

StaceyB
January 6th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Oshawa is a bigger place than Belleville and has a higher income bracket so the difference in price would be comparable.

Byrd
January 6th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Yeah, it's not cheap, but I don't have kids so don't have to worry about hockey and stuff.

She has really come a long way, she is best in her class. :highfive:

BMDLuver
January 7th, 2006, 09:02 AM
That's Great Byrd, glad Willow is enjoying it so much and you too!

Byrd
January 7th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Thanks, yeah it's a lot of fun. And, I'm really proud of her.

Byrd
January 26th, 2006, 09:19 PM
I need to find a dirt cheap fold down metal crate (has to fit in the trunk of a Saturn Coupe), that is Willow sized (she is 40 lbs and 21" at the shoulder). I had a canvas one, but she ripped it along the zipper. I can probably fix it, or at least it can be fixed, but it's obviously not strong enough for her.

I'm in Oshawa.

Thanks.

doggy lover
January 26th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Look in second hand stores or at the Stoville (spelling?) flea market there use to be a stall there that sold second hand crates. I found the one I use in the garbage at the old apartment complex that I lived at, I had a couple but have given them away, or I could have given you one, sorry.

Byrd
January 26th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Okay, thanks.

One of the girls I train with may have one, but doesn't know how much she wants for it yet. Hopefully I get one before we start going to competitions.