Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

kitten cold: Help

equalls
August 16th, 2005, 05:52 PM
I just adopted a kitten from the humane society a week ago and he seemed to have caught a cold. i took him into the vet on sunday and they said that we should just the the cold run its course. it is so difficult for me to watch my kitten suffer so i was wondering if anyone knew any thing i could do to help it or anything i could buy. My kittten has runny eyes and can only breathe through his mouth.

Thanks So Much

happycats
August 16th, 2005, 05:57 PM
I would get a second opinion! I know that cats who get stuffed up, and can't breath out of their nose may have serious problems!

I have never heard of a cat having a cold, it's usually something else.
(I have owned 6 cats over 16 years, and not one, has ever had a "cold")

Please get a new vet, and please let us know how your kitten is doing.

Lucky Rescue
August 16th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Your kitten has an upper respiratory infection. In healthy adult cats, this is usually not a big deal.

In a kitten, it can be deadly. Kittens get dehydrated very easily if they do not eat and drink. They wont' eat if they have stuffy noses and can't smell their food.

Does he have any green discharge from eyes or nose? If not, there isn't much a vet can do right now since antibiotics won't work on a virus.

Keep the kitten warm and try and get it to eat. Use smelly canned food, like salmon flavoured, add warm water and put a few globs in the kitten's mouth with your finger.

If the kitten will not eat or drink you must take it back to the vet as it will need to have fluids administered.

Let us know how it goes.

equalls
August 16th, 2005, 06:11 PM
thanks for the quick reply my kitten is still eating and drinking water and he does not have green discharge from his nose just snot and clear substance from his eyes. when we took him to the vet they gave him a blood test and said that everything was normal and just a cold and they could not prescribe anything. i have read on some post here to use saline nose drops to clear him up i was wondering if that really works.

Thank you again so much

Lucky Rescue
August 16th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Great that he's eating and drinking! To clear him up a bit, can you put him in the bathroom and run the hot water, or use a humidifer or kettle to create some steam?