Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Training your dog to be loyal to you?

Gamblers
August 16th, 2005, 05:32 PM
anyone know any type of training that makes your dog loyal to YOU and only YOU? my dog would probably walk off with any stranger if he was carrying a piece of meat.

Lucky Rescue
August 16th, 2005, 05:35 PM
You cannot train a dog to be loyal, anymore than you can force a person to be loyal to you or to love you.

This is something that is earned, by bonding, training, and love.

LavenderRott
August 16th, 2005, 05:42 PM
I don't think I have ever met a dog that wouldn't follow someone carrying a piece of meat. :D Or even a good marrow bone!

Training in general will help you to bond with your dog. Find a class and go. You both will learn so much. And in the process, you will find that you and your dog become quite a team.

tenderfoot
August 16th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Think about the relationships you have right now in your life. Which one is the strongest and why? Love is the easy part - a no brainer. But someone that you deeply trust and respect takes it to an whole new level. A relationship must be balanced for it to work in the long run. If your partner loves you but doesn't trust or respect you then it just isn't going to last.
Some dogs will go with anyone - just like some people you know. But when they find that true connection they are more likely to stick around. Same thing goes for dogs.
Create a strong bond through time well spent, communication, love, build trust and have clear boundaries in your leadership role and you should have a devoted friend for life. But I will tell you this, bribery doesn't do it and neither does force - so avoid those tactics.