Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

CAT PEE , can anyone HELP??

kim26
August 16th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Hi Everyone

I had a 16 yr old cat, who started to act out and peed all over our house. It has totally totally distroyed our house.......... She is now gone but i will tell u she left alot behind..... she peed in over 6 rooms and the house STINKS...... really nice when u have people over.
I have tired like 3 prodcuts, and had the carpets proffessionally cleaned 3 times............ NOTHING it still comes back. I would just recarpt but as i said this is 6 rooms and a HUGE HUGE house............. :(
I now still have 2 cats and i am so afarid they will start to do it.
Anyone bought the Urine gone off tv?? does it work? any sugguestions??
I got this recipt yesterday, anyone knows if it works..........

DEPRESSED about the SMELL :(
do you know how embarrssed we are, we dont even invite people over anymore. I have been to peoples house before and it is DISGUSTING and gross when u smell that :(

Pet Urine Odor Eliminator
· 15oz of hydrogen peroxide 3%

· 2 teaspoons of baking soda

· 2 drops of liquid hand soap

Mix gently and pour in plastic spray bottle or watering can. Do not beat or shake, or the mixture will foam and overflow your container. Always make and use fresh. Blot up any fresh (wet) urine, then spray or pour the solution on urine soaked carpet or other textile. Test for odor after one hour. Repeat as necessary. Allow solution to work for 24 hours (do not scrub) and then blot up any remaining moisture. When the area is completely dry, you may vacuum the spot. Discard any unused mixture. Do not store mixture in a closed container… product can explode!

Always test for colorfastness prior to use! To test for colorfastness, mix a small amount of the solution and place on a hidden area of your carpet or textile. Wait 24 hours or until carpet or textile is dry before proceeding to full treatment.

Freyja
August 16th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Haven't tried that one, but I do have Nature's Miracle Stain and Odor Remover

jessi76
August 16th, 2005, 12:01 PM
The recipe sounds as if it's more of a spot-cleaning tip, not for restoring 6 rooms of a house. If you've already tried 3 cleaners, and professional cleanings, I'd say rip it all up. Even if you succeed in getting the smell out for your nose, your other cats will still smell it.

Another product on the market is Zero Odor. If you really want to try another one.

her122
August 16th, 2005, 12:17 PM
someone once told me that cheap vodka and water will get the smell out. No idea if it works or not, but at this point what do you have to lose??

another suggestion is club soda....

one thing i do know, is that most times things you have in your house will work better than expensive products that make promises.

Good luck

StaceyB
August 16th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Unfortunately when you go over carpeting with a steam cleaner you end up spreading the urine all over. You may have also caused it to seep down into the flooring underneath. If you tear up the carpet you will also have to remove and replace the floor boards under it. If you don't you will still have the smell.
I would purchase a black light and find out exactly what you are looking at. You can treat the exact areas that show up with an enzymatic cleaner. It may take over a week for the area to dry and you may still smell the urine while it is drying. Don't retreat unless the area is completely dry. Test again with the black light after each treatment is complete.

Shaykeija
August 16th, 2005, 04:14 PM
When Piper gets mad he pees in the house. Stinks the high heaven. I use OUT for urine removal. It neutrilizes the smell right away. You can get it at Walmart in the pet section. Little bugger peed the other night about a foot from my face. :eek: Woke me up right away. He peed on my dresser. I sprayed the area and wiped it down and no more smell. He has peed in my computer room on the carpet and wall and I got that too. No stinky in my house ,unless of course you count my husbands feet. :p

chico2
August 16th, 2005, 04:26 PM
StaceyB,can you explain a little more about the Black Light,where to buy it and how does it work??
Does it work like luminol on CSI :D ...will dried pee-stains show up??

StaceyB
August 16th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Yes any source of protien. Feces, urine, blood, etc. Same as csi. You can use any black light but you can also find it in pet stores. It is kind of like a flashlight. It works on dry areas. The area will glow.

chico2
August 16th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Thank's Stacey,I'll look in to it.
My Rocky,sprays when he gets excited,yes he's neutered and he usually goes in the only room that is carpeted,my livingroom.
We have hardwood everywhere else and the carpet will be ripped out,but not just yet,there is hardwood underneath.
When he sprays,it's not like he sits down and pees,so it is not a lot of pee,just droplets,but those droplets stink after a while.

StaceyB
August 16th, 2005, 04:59 PM
It works really well, lol Those I have sent to get one have come back saying they found much more than they intended on finding. I have one at home, not that there is a prob but I need it for demos. I wanted to see how well it worked so I tried it out in the ferrets litter box. Wow, that glow wil blind you.

kim26
August 16th, 2005, 05:02 PM
I have to say it really sucks :(
I have used about 55 bottles of the OUT stuff, as i said it works well for when having a party and takes away the smell. Actually i found it was gone for months and months, and then the min it gets humid or rains the smell comes RIGHT back...... cause it is in the floor. Now the problem is i went last yr to RENO DEPOT to get new carpet it was going to cost like 5000.00 for the cheapest one....... cause our carpet is wall to wall..... and the floor in the basement is cerment so i cant take that up :(
I will try the home remedy but i am sure just like all the others it takes it away for a bit. Any idea where to buy the black light? i saw them on ebay for about 20.00