Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Switching foods

SarahLynn123
August 16th, 2005, 08:25 AM
I am switching the dogs from Royal Canin Urinary SO to Wellness. We got a bunch of samples of all different kinds of food and all the dogs went crazy for wellness. Including Belle!!! Here are my questions:

The royal canin calls for 4.5 cups of food a day for Shadow and Wellness only 2.5 cups. How do I switch her slowly when they call for such different amounts?

Wolf will not touch the old food. He digs through his dish and picks out and eat all the wellness. His poops are still great though. Should I keep mixing the foods so eventually he will eat the royal canin or should I just give him Wellness from now?

Thats all I can think of for now!

Thanks

coppperbelle
August 16th, 2005, 08:39 AM
The switch should take place over a number of days.

Day one 75% old food 25% new food.
Day three 50% old, 50% new
Day five 25% old, 75 % new
Day seven 100% new food

I would just divide the food accordingly. For example on day one give her 75% of what you are giving of the old food and 25% of the new food. If it was a full cup then 3/4 of a cup would be 75%.

Dogastrophe
August 16th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Some dogs adjust far better/quicker to a new food than others. My Lucy can eat a different food everyday and not have her stomach affected much. On the other hand, Monty needs to be slowly introduced new foods over about a week.

Making the switch from 4.5 c of one to 2.5 c of the other can be done by starting with 75% (~3 1/3c) of RC and 25% (~2/3 c) of Wellness, then move to 50/50 then to 25% (~1 1/4c) of RC and 75% (~1 3/4c) of W.

SarahLynn123
August 16th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Thanks! So Its just a bit of math!

Prin
August 16th, 2005, 11:26 AM
I just switch to sort of an average amount between the two, so like 3.5c, and then gradually go down from there. You have to take into account that though the food is more dense, they are still used to having a certain amount in their bellies and might not be satisfied right off the bat with about 1/2 of what they were getting.

cinnabon
August 15th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I know this is an old post, but I am very curious, as I just had to put my Zoe on Royal Canin Urinary SO for the struvite crystals in her urine. Were you feeding this too your dogs for other reasons? And if not, how does the Wellness control the cyrstals in the urine etc.

I thought only a perscription food could do that. I am not thrilled at all to have Zoe on this food. We normally feed her Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish, and she loved it.:shrug:

If anyone knows of any good food that dissolves crystals and keeps them from coming back, I'd love to know. I am not willing to home cook either, due to health issues of my own.

Thanks!

Bon:ca: