Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Surgery for Carpal Tunnel

wAggie
August 15th, 2005, 10:10 PM
ah...

another one of my poor mom's severe problems-

she needs surgery for her carpal tunnel when she comes back from helping out my ill grandma in Poland

apparently, my mom says she will be doomed to be off work for at least a month... and she's quite scared of surgery to her hands (esp. her right hand which is quite severe).

she's already wearing her arm/wrist braces.

does anyone have stories to share of post-surgery experiences they have heard or other?

I'd really appreciate it if I could share it with her...

thanks. :(

Puppyluv
August 15th, 2005, 10:14 PM
My supervisor for my summer internship last year had the surgery while I was working there. She said she was really glad that she had it done, and it relieved a lot of the pain and pressure she was experiencing. The recovery wasn't alsways fun, but she said she would do it again in a second.
Hope your mom feels well :love:

wAggie
August 15th, 2005, 10:18 PM
thanks a lot...

I'm reading up on surgery right now. some say do neck therapy instead. my mom already had everything checked out and it is confirmed that the pain IS coming from the wrists, and not the neck/brain/whatever.

I'm also reading that ppl (in msg boards :eek: :o :rolleyes: :confused: :( ) are saying NOT to have the surgury as pain reoccurs 6 months after surgery, and that post-surgery, u loose strength in ur hands..!

excuse me but, omg, wtf?? :sick:

april21h1
August 16th, 2005, 06:16 AM
HI
My BF had this surgrey a few years ago. They did one wrist at a time. He would do it again in a heartbeat. Puppuluv is right about the recovery but it is worth it in the end.

kandy
August 16th, 2005, 11:15 AM
I have carpal tunnel, but it isn't quite bad enough for surgery, so I just get to suffer. :o Anyway, my MIL had the surgery and would have it done again in a heartbeat. She was having severe pain - especially during the night - and the surgery relieved that pain immediately. It's a simple procedure - normally they make a tiny incision and then just cut the band that holds the nerve sheath in the palm/inner wrist. It alleviates the pain because the pain is from the sheath swelling and the band constricts it.

I would suggest that if she has to have physical therapy afterward that she find a provider that offers the ultrasound therapy. I had to have physical therapy for a while last summer and the ultrasound was wonderful!

Tell her not to worry about it - she will feel so much better that she'll wonder why she didn't have it done sooner!

Prin
August 16th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Your poor mom!! I had nothing to add in the last one as I know little about Apnia, (don't know too much about carpal tunnel surgery either) but I do wish her well. I hope she does well in her surgery and the recovery is not terrible. :fingerscr :grouphug:

Lucky Rescue
August 16th, 2005, 11:37 AM
A friend of mine had both hands done - one last year and the other recently. She is very happy with the outcome and it relieved her pain and numbness.

CyberKitten
August 16th, 2005, 12:58 PM
My neighbour - and YY's kittensitter - had both her hands done - one after the other conescutively. She bounced back very quickly and is happy she had the surgery. It's really uncomplicated surgery and your mom should be fine! As for the sleep apnea - that is a more common ailment that ppl think and actually fairly easily treated. Many ppl are thrilled with the results once they start the therapy - they get to sleep thru the night!!

doggy lover
August 16th, 2005, 04:14 PM
I had it done a few years ago on my right hand, and so far no problems, no pain. It was worth having it done. I was off work for 6 weeks as I'm a cook and do alot of heavy lifting. As soon as you can use your hand after the surgery do so it makes the healing so much faster.

wAggie
August 16th, 2005, 04:38 PM
wow... wow!

I'm truly shocked at the overwhelming responses!

thank you sooooooo much!

I'll let my mom know on Thurs or Fri when I give her a call :angel:

:grouphug: