Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

So I'm on pills now. Lotsa pills...

Prin
August 15th, 2005, 06:23 PM
In case some of you are following the tale of my insomnia, it seems to be somewhat resolved.

I had two sets of blood tests and I'm "slightly hyperthyroid", which I thought meant I was "slightly hyperthyroid", but really it means, "you're pretty badly hyperthyroid, just don't overreact." :D

So now I have to take 3 pills a day for my heart (to slow it down and get rid of the palpitations) and 4 for my thyroid. So in all, three for breakfast, 3 for supper and one before going to sleep. :rolleyes: So yes, I have become the old lady who sits at every meal with a tall glass of water with a tiny pile of pills beside it. :D Not too fun. I guess you don't really realize how sick you are till they give you pills and more pills...

The palpitations have stopped and my heart lets me rest again, so I have been sleeping 10 hours a night since Friday. :) :thumbs up And the best part is, even though the heart pills make me tired, I actually am motivated to do stuff now. I painted all morning, and I cleaned yesterday, all the stuff I couldn't do because I was just mopey. Give me tired over mopey ANY day!! ;)

I still don't go to bed too early, but I am in bed by the latest 3, instead of 5! YEY! :highfive:

Thank you Princess04 for all your help throughout this whole ordeal. :grouphug:

kandy
August 15th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Oh Prin, I am so glad that they found something and that you are sleeping again. Lack of sleep can effect so many other things in your health.

I just found out today that my current stepdad has a blood clot in his leg, so now he is having to give himself shots in the belly twice a day! :eek: You just have to remember: Things could be worse! :angel:

BMDLuver
August 15th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Glad you at least know what's wrong now Prin..

I could go out and get you one of those monthly pill boxes that say Monday to Sunday... with a compartment for each day?

When you are done fixing up your place could you come over here and fix mine?

I'm just bugging you, I know it's a serious thing but you like humour and sarcasm!

Prin
August 15th, 2005, 06:36 PM
LOL Thanks for the laugh.

Kandy I know I am not the worst. Not even close. I had dinner at my dad's with a friend of his wife's and she has cystic fibrosis. She said she spends about 25 hours a week on her lungs. She gets "clapped" twice a day for 45 minutes each shot to dislodge the mucous in her lungs. She is the happiest, most positive person I know. Nobody can complain after knowing her. :) My best friend's husband to be has type 1 diabetes, too. He never complains. I know I have it good. It's just a bit scary 'cause it's fresh. ;)

I think the worst thing I can get is heart failure if I miss too many doses of my heart pills.. :)

kandy
August 15th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Oh I think that anything that could require a hospital stay if you don't take your medication would be considered serious in my book. I was just trying to say that having to take a bunch of pills everyday isn't as bad as it seems right now. I'm just happy that it can be controlled with the pills. :grouphug:

Prin
August 15th, 2005, 06:51 PM
I'm just thankful that I went on "the pill" a while back. It was the first pill I ever really took. Before then, I couldn't swallow pills at all, so really had to learn hard when I started the pill. If I hadn't learned then, I would have to eat soooo much jam now!! :yuck: :D

Karin
August 15th, 2005, 08:14 PM
I am so glad to hear you are getting this under control. Give it time, you will fall into a routine and you will feel better, I promise.

Puppyluv
August 15th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Prin that's Great news!!!! I mean, not that you have hyperthyroidism, but that you got the meds that are helping (duh :o )
I guess no more 24 hours of posting by Prin though huh? I'm going to miss waking up and seeing that you had the last post on every thread on the message board, because everyone else went to sleep :D
Glad you're sleeping well/feeling better :love:
(Oh and if you want... my kitchen needs painting :D )

Jackie467
August 15th, 2005, 10:23 PM
I'm glad you finally figured out what it was and are getting help. I also have insomnia, but it is because of my clinical depression. I used to take pills for it but they made me feel not like myself (hard to explain) so I'm trying to manage it on my own and so far so good. I still have my days but I'm doing better.

I'm just thankful that I went on "the pill" a while back. It was the first pill I ever really took. Before then, I couldn't swallow pills at all, so really had to learn hard when I started the pill. If I hadn't learned then, I would have to eat soooo much jam now!! :yuck: :D
Lol that is the same way I started taking pills. I have an overactive gag reflex, which I never knew existed until my doctor told me about it. I just couldn't swallow pills no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't do it. So when I got on the pill I was worried I would be able to do it, so first I practiced with crushed up ice then went on to the pill and because it was so small I could do it. I then worked my way up bigger. But I still can't take anything bigger than a motrin pill, but that is way better then taking everything in liquid yuck. :yuck:

wAggie
August 15th, 2005, 11:06 PM
careful with this pills...

I wish you all the best with your "recovery"

:grouphug:

Freyja
August 15th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Well since Luba isn't here to offer some holistic advice, the resident midwife will. You may want to try a Vitamin B supplement. You need your Bs for adrenal function.

Prin
August 16th, 2005, 12:52 AM
I guess no more 24 hours of posting by Prin though huh? I'm going to miss waking up and seeing that you had the last post on every thread on the message board, because everyone else went to sleep :D
Glad you're sleeping well/feeling better :love:
(Oh and if you want... my kitchen needs painting :D )
LOL That was always embarrassing to me... I'd get bored and already all the forums were me me me me me me me me all the way down... It'll probably still happen. I have been a night owl since I was 4... Just probably not till 5 AM... :)

Freyja, is there B in spinach? I eat pounds of spinach...

Thank you all for your support. I know about pills ( :evil: ) and I know I will feel really better eventually... :)

BMDLuver
August 16th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Well since Luba isn't here to offer some holistic advice, the resident midwife will. You may want to try a Vitamin B supplement. You need your Bs for adrenal function.
That's so neat you are a midwife. They wouldn't let me go that route with the girls. Must be a very rewarding profession. :)

Sorry about going OT. :o

Freyja
August 16th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Careful with the spinach, it has oxalic acid. Because it binds vital nutrients such as calcium, long-term consumption of foods high in oxalic acid can lead to nutrient deficiencies. Healthy individuals can safely consume such foods in moderation, but those with kidney disorders, gout, or rheumatoid arthritis are typically advised to avoid foods high in oxalic acid or oxalates.

If you are eating your green leafies, whole grains (NOT Wonder Bread), legumes, and good meat sorces(NOT processed meat), then you should be fine.

Prin
August 16th, 2005, 12:29 PM
BMD, hijack away. I'm not anal about hijacking (as long as you use proper grammar as you hijack :D ).

Freyja, if I drink litres and litres of milk, should I be ok with the calcium?

Freyja
August 16th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Ahhh, no actually. You actually don't get good calcium from milk. It is all to do with the calcium/magnesium ratio. In brief, milk causes your body to be out of balance and in order to be in balance actually takes calcium from your bones. There is an interesting website, full of research based information www.notmilk.com. A bit shocking but the Milk Producers have done an excellent marketing job on not a lot of good information.

StaceyB
August 16th, 2005, 01:35 PM
I feel for you. I have to take aprox 20 pills a day for the symptoms of fibromyalgia.

Dog Dancer
August 16th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Prin so glad you've got the answers to your insomnia. I too used to get heart palpitations quite often and have actually gotten quite good at square breathing in order to calm myself when it happens. Thyroid was fine though. Hope everything settles for you now. I like the weekly pill box idea - I can see it now... :rolleyes:

StaceyB
August 16th, 2005, 01:46 PM
The pill box is a great idea. Especially if you are not used to taking daily scheduled pills. I am still awful at remembering to take them, my reminder is pain. I would also suggest carrying around an electronic schedule, cell phone, palm etc. Something that will remind you.

CyberKitten
August 16th, 2005, 01:57 PM
I am sorry to hear about all the meds but it is always better knowing. My mom has thyroid probs but is healthy otherwise - she only developed it in her 70's tho. The pillbox is a good idea tho I don't practice what I preach, lol

Good luck with this!!

Prin
August 17th, 2005, 12:35 AM
Prin so glad you've got the answers to your insomnia. I too used to get heart palpitations quite often and have actually gotten quite good at square breathing in order to calm myself when it happens. Thyroid was fine though. Hope everything settles for you now. I like the weekly pill box idea - I can see it now... :rolleyes:
That actually made it worse for me- whenever I would take a couple of deep breaths, the palpitations would get worse and worse until I got incredibly dizzy and had to lie down...

Freyja, I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing all the anti-milk stuff. My brother and I drank milk like madness and we have considerably more bone mass than my other bro who barely ever drank milk. And for the kidney stones from Calcium that they talk about on the notmilk site, I have researched those to death, and more studies have found that calcium kidney stones are by overwhelming numbers caused by calcium supplements, not from natural calcium sources. Maybe if you drink the calcium boosted milk, you have a better chance of kidney stones, but regular milk- not so much. Anyway, I could go on and on and on... Osteoporosis, genetics and bone density, bone density and age, how humans are the only ones to drink another animal's milk- we're also among the only ones to eat food that is not from our continent, food we should never naturally have access to.. ;)

That said, I do think that milk is a culprit in the rise in hormone disorders in Canada, because of the hormones used by the farmers... It's not all good, but it's not all bad either. :)

toby's tracy
August 17th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Prin - I'm joining the convo a bit late but I just wanted to say - what a relief! Knowing what's up is the first step in dealing with it! :thumbs up

Copper'sMom
August 17th, 2005, 02:20 PM
awww Prin, i hope you are feeling better soon!!! :grouphug:

Prin
August 17th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Aw thanks you guys. I really appreciate the kind words. No matter how good I have it, I think the hardest part is coming to grips with the fact that there was really something wrong with me. So wrong that in this slow horrible health care system, my appointment got bumped up by 2 months and I got treatment within a week of my first blood tests... Never happened to me before.

The pills are ok, though. I have to take them at the same time twice a day and it makes me realize that it really is less to think about when you're on the patch than on the pill- I forgot what a pain in the hiney it was to take it at the same time every day. I'm not too good at routine...

It's hard to explain to the man how much this problem would have affected me- hormones affect everything, right down to the speed at which your nails grow. :rolleyes:

We'll see what happens with all this. :)

nymph
August 17th, 2005, 11:46 PM
With some 30 minutes of moderate exercising, you could very possibly leave those pills behind, at least those heart pills.

Prin
August 17th, 2005, 11:55 PM
I have a hard time with that because the heart palpitations cause shortness of breath, and before my pills, my heart rate was consistently above 120 at rest. It was scary to say the least.