Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

4th UTI

CJ05
August 15th, 2005, 04:35 PM
My 6 1/2 month old puppy has now contracted her forth UTI in as many months. She had been doing well after her last one. Four weeks of medication and then 6 weeks of doing fine. We have been testing her pee about twice a week and when tested last thursday, she was fine. She was also just spayed almost two weeks ago which seemed to increase her peeing frequency but that was getting better. All of a sudden, early this morning around 5 am ( before she normally gets up) she was trying to get out of her kennel. We noticed that she peed in her kennel and ther was a lot of blood in it. I would like to know what could have caused this. Here are a few things I noticed that she has done recently ( out of the norm):
1. she dug a hole in my shrub bed, probably eating some bark chips
2. shes been getting at the cat food lately ( different ph in cat food?)
3. cat attacked her last night which seemed to stress her out
4. she had recently been walking through some wet tall grass ( doesn't seem likely that had anything to do with it as she wasn't laying or walking in grass for any length of time)

kandy
August 15th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Has the vet done any tests other than testing urine samples? Blood in the urine is a definite emergency vet trip. Hope your furbaby feels better soon!

justncase
August 15th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Some pets just can't eat dry pet food, it brings on a bout of UTI. If your puppy got into the cat food ( dry?); it could very well be what caused it this time. Cranberry( fresh, frozen, capsules) has proven to be very corrective for UTIs.

coppperbelle
August 15th, 2005, 06:46 PM
What kind of food is she eating?

CJ05
August 15th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Yes the cat food is dry. She is eating Medi -Cal Development food.

Karin
August 15th, 2005, 07:29 PM
You need to have the urine cultured and a sensitivity test run. This is not a "test while you wait" kinda test. The urine is cultured over a 24 hour period to see what grows, then the sensitivity is set up to see what it reacts to in the way of antibiotics. It takes time. "Hail Mary" antibiotics can work in a pinch but what if the patient is resistant to that one type? Happens all the time, please have a C&S run...it's well worth it.

Been there, done that many times.

Karin
August 15th, 2005, 07:33 PM
On an added note, testing the urine while your dog is on antibiotics or within two weeks of finishing them is throwing money away, your dog needs to be antibiotic free for at least 2 weeks before you will have a true report.

Oops, I correct myself, *cat*. Same goes for any species.

CJ05
August 15th, 2005, 07:53 PM
I know, we already started her on anti biotics so its too late for that. I don't know if I would want to let my dog suffer for a week or two anyways. Right now when she goes out she is peeing multiple times and having some accidents in the house. Last night she peed in her bed and there was actually quite a bit of blood. We do know that she needs ( and is ) on an antibiotic that has something to do with the pH of her urine ( which I think is low). This medication worked last time. My biggest question is why is she getting these UTI's? Is it something she ate, got into etc? We are hoping, and don't think that it is a condition called ectopic ureter.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/ectopic_ureters.html

Karin
August 15th, 2005, 08:16 PM
I know, we already started her on anti biotics so its too late for that. I don't know if I would want to let my dog suffer for a week or two anyways. Right now when she goes out she is peeing multiple times and having some accidents in the house. Last night she peed in her bed and there was actually quite a bit of blood. We do know that she needs ( and is ) on an antibiotic that has something to do with the pH of her urine ( which I think is low). This medication worked last time. My biggest question is why is she getting these UTI's? Is it something she ate, got into etc? We are hoping, and don't think that it is a condition called ectopic ureter.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/ectopic_ureters.html

I know the frustration all to well. I am also a vet tech, working in the business for over 25 years, this make it even more frustrating..

The culprit with my constant uti dog lately was e coli. This is very common. She also had a 4 + pseudamonas which is on the high side.

Please have a complete culture and sensitivity done. You are only systematically treating the problem, not curing it.

Talk with your vet, I believe your dog will not suffer for the outcome of this test. You may with anxiety but you will have a healthier pet for it.

CJ05
August 15th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Thanks Karin

CJ05
August 15th, 2005, 08:54 PM
How would a dog get e coli?