Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help!!!!

ARobin3962
August 15th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Times New Roman7

Hi We have just become the parents of a 9 week old Black Lab.
I hope I havent done any unrepairable damage to him, I have been putting him in a very large Kennel at night and he cries alot, still after like 4 nights, after reading some of the Q and A I realize I have done the wrong thing, its it to late to redo the damage.
The kennel is really big and he has pooped in it the past 4 nights.
Is it to late to get a smallar kennel put it in my bedroom and start over?
I have a 4 yr old Jack Russell, and they are bonding very well, shes female.
Please help me, for such a young puppie he is doing very well with the house breaking, my only problem there is my house is so open there is hardly any where to comfine him, but even with that hes doing remarkably well with the house breaking.
Any help will greatly appreciated

BMDLuver
August 15th, 2005, 10:18 AM
You can make the kennel you purchase smaller by putting in a section of 1x1 page wire. This way, as he grows, you can increase the space he has and help to reduce the chances of him using the extra space to potty in.

StaceyB
August 15th, 2005, 10:49 AM
First I wouldn't place the crate in your bedroom. Your puppy will think it is time to get up any time he hears you rustling around. The crate though should be close enough that you will be able to hear him. You will learn very quickly that he offers two distinct crys. There will be one that says, I want out of here. You should not respond to this at all. If you do you will have many more sleepless nights. The other cry says, I need to go to the washroom. Respond to this quietly. Take him out, let him go and place back in crate. For the sizing he should have enough room to stand up, turn around, and lay down. You can have a piece of plexi glass cut to fit, drill holes in the corners and tie wrap to desired location inside the crate. Move back as he grows until he uses the whole crate. Since you have had accidents inside the crate you will need to get an enzymatic solution to remove the smells. Simple solution and Natures miracle are just a couple of the ones you can get. Wash the crate and any other bedding and toys with product to remove all smells. Most dogs will not go to the washroom inside the crate as long as they have not been left in it too long and it is not too large.

Melinda
August 15th, 2005, 11:51 AM
I didn't use wire or plexiglass in our large crate, for a lab pup also, I brought home a cardboard box from the grocery store and opened it up inside the crate, instantly cut the crate in two.

tenderfoot
August 15th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Now remember you have a new puppy and you are going to hear a thousand different opinions on what you should do. Use your own good common sense and do what works for your lifestyle. You have not done permanent damage - truly the only way you could do that is if you hurt or frightened your dog. The beauty of dogs is that they are always learning so if you change your methods to better ones then he will change too.
We believe that your puppy should be in your bedroom. He is crying at night because he is a baby and in nature a pup is never apart from the pack - he would be killed by a predator. He knows this in his primitive brain and is calling out for help. It is actually a sad moment when he stops crying out because now he figures no one is looking out for him and he's on his own. This can lead to insecurities, fears and independence. We sleep with our new pups in our bed, but you certainly donít have to go that far. They sleep deeply next to a warm body and beating heart, so they are less likely to get up in the night. However, putting the crate next to your bed is great because he can bond with you in your sleep as he listens to you move about and breathe. He is reassured that you are there for him. You can then hear him if he truly needs to go out to potty, or ignore or correct him if he is just complaining.
Make sure that you are feeding him proper meals (down for only ten minutes) and that his last meal is at about 5ish in the afternoon. Any later and you are forcing him to have to potty in the night. Also take his water up at about 7ish at night so that he has plenty of time to empty himself before bed and not load up again.

dogznfish
August 15th, 2005, 12:24 PM
As a quick fix to make the crate smaller you can try putting a sealed rubbermaid container inside and see if that helps. Put something heavy inside that helps prevent the pup from moving it around. I put one of those blue 5 gallon camping water holders (no water in it) and that made the crate small enough for my most recent pup.

All my dogs have grown up crated and sleeping in the bedroom at first. With all of them, as pups, I would lay down with them first few nights beside the crate with my fingers in it so that they knew that Mom was there. Whenever they cried, I took them out on leash for a potty break, then right back to the crate. All learnt quickly that night time is not for play time and it's serious business. I would only stay until they settled down then go to my own bed.

All my dogs also get cuddle time on my bed before going to their beds. If the dogs happen to fall asleep on the bed at night, I leave them be for a while then put them to their beds. My lab Shelby was particularly insecure and she slept with me all night with no accidents from Day one at 6 weeks old. In fact she still takes her spot at the foot of the bed and plays the role of foot warmer in the winter. The only dog I know that needs a body pillow to sleep :)

Some opinions are that by letting the dog sleep on the bed it encourages the dog to become more dominant and look at you as an equal, not alpha. I think letting them on the couches or beds to snuggle is quite OK as long as they obey the command to get off of them when it's time.

nymph
August 15th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Welcome to puppyhood! :crazy:

We bought a huge kennel for our golden/lab pup Diego and also put cardboard boxes to limit his space. The kennel should only allow the pup to get up, turn around and lay down, no bigger than that. The kennel was placed in our bedroom right beside my bed.

That being said, our pup hated the kennel at first, he was way too young to be separated from his littermates. So I ended up putting him in a laundry basket right beside my bed. If he moved, I'd get up and take him out to eliminate. The first couple of weeks, we'd get up 4-5 times at night, hubby and I took turns, it was very tough. Starting from the 3rd week, he could pretty much sleep through the night or only needed to eliminate once during the whole night. We went through the huge mistake of trying to paper train him during the night using training pads, boy that was a lot messier than simply taking him out, even during minus 20 temperature.

We used 1 part of Javex and 4 part of water to clean the soiled crate, that seemed to have completely eliminated odor.

Bottom line, it takes time. Be extra patient with your new pup. :fingerscr

jessi76
August 15th, 2005, 01:10 PM
We also used cardboard boxes to make the crate smaller, BUT beware if you have a chewer. Our pup started chewing the boxes. We did actually end up using a rubbermaid container - worked great.

Our pup cried at first too, but each day it got better. and now he only whines at 5am when he has to go out.