Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do you cut Watermelon?

raingirl
August 14th, 2005, 01:01 PM
How do you cut your watermelons?

I know it's an odd question, but I have yet to discover an easy way to cut a watermelon.

I bought a large sugerbaby organic watermelon yesterday, and since BF doens't like them, I have to eat it all myself (no problem since I love it!)

I used to stick them in a round plate, then slice away, but it's always so akward and they slip and you get juice everywhere.

Prin
August 14th, 2005, 01:03 PM
I cut it longitudinally first, then perpendicular to the cut after that. If those are too big, then you cut them in half too. :)

raingirl
August 14th, 2005, 01:05 PM
What kind of knife do you use? What do you put it on so it doesn't roll around?

Prin
August 14th, 2005, 01:10 PM
I use the hugest knife I have. It was easier at my dad's because he had a chef's knife that was about 18 inches long... :evil:

What do I put it on... I think I remember putting it on the counter... You have that lip on the counter that should stop it from rolling off...

StaceyB
August 14th, 2005, 01:13 PM
I cut the top off as you do but instead of placing it on a plate I use a large bowl or dish that has sides. When I cut pieces off I turn it over and cut. With the sides it keeps it from rolling. You can even take a slice off the end you are not taking pieces off of to make it flat but don't take too much off that it cuts into the flesh.

Prin
August 14th, 2005, 01:15 PM
But doesn't it stop rolling when you get the knife in it? The knife all stuck in it stabilizes it, no?

melanie
August 14th, 2005, 04:52 PM
my darlin, no one in this house cuts watermelon anymore, we just drill a hole in the side and pop in the endo f a vodka bottle and let it drain in, then you hack it up for a party, yuuummmmmmm. :D

raingirl
August 14th, 2005, 06:05 PM
OMG I haven't done that in years! Last time was 3yr university. We pooled about $30 each and bought a truck load of liquor. I haven't had any serious drinking since that night!

Daniac
August 14th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Very Carefully! Especially now after having almost cut my pinky off a couple of weeks ago slicing one! :eek: 5 hours in the ER was not my idea of fun on a Sunday night.

Now I'm such a wussy about it, I cut it in half and scoop out the insides with a spoon.