Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dry cracked nose

raingirl
August 14th, 2005, 11:22 AM
I am a little curious. I was reading in the pets for adoption about the cocker spaniel (that unfortunately passed away) and he had a cracked nose.

Odin has always had a dry cracked nose, but I've never thought much of it. I figured it might be because we are always wiping it when we wipe his nose wrinkles.

Anything I should be concerned about? Put moisturizer on it?

Kariia
August 14th, 2005, 12:07 PM
I'd put moisturizer on it, and don't wipe it. You should check with the vet.

And I just had to ask...Is he an albino Bulldog? He looks like one.

BoxerRescueMTL
August 14th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Hiya Raingirl,

Uncle Monty has a dry cracked nose and I use emu oil on it, my holistic vet reccommended it. You can aslo use vitamin e oil. Be careful with moisturizer cuz you don't want to irritate it.

StaceyB
August 14th, 2005, 12:42 PM
You can get the oil at pharma plus. You have to ask over the counter for it. I would call your vet before you apply anything to it.

BoxerRescueMTL
August 14th, 2005, 12:48 PM
you have to ask for emu oil over the counter? i never had to, i guess different rules in qc?

Freyja
August 14th, 2005, 12:51 PM
They were selling Emu oil at the farmer's market yesterday. I know I am in Calgary, however you might want to check if there are any emu farms out your way, they had emu soap, emu meat, emu feather pillows, emu oil....

StaceyB
August 14th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Check online for the uses of the oil. There are tons of them.

raingirl
August 14th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Problem with putting moisturizer on it, is it gets wiped off when we clean his nose, and I can't get any moisturizer in his wrinkle, or it might get too moist and get infected. It's a catch 22. The vet has seen it and wasn't too worried.

Maybe I'll try a little vitamin E for a few days.

No, he's not an albino bulldog, just mostly white. He has freckles on his ears. His eyes are red because he has a lot of eye problems (allergies, dry eye, cherry eye).

StaceyB
August 14th, 2005, 01:22 PM
The emu oil should be the safest product to use. If it is just dry and doesn't have open wounds, you may just want to leave it for now.

raingirl
August 14th, 2005, 01:45 PM
There are no deep cracks or open wounds. His nose was like this since we got him 6 months ago.

StaceyB
August 14th, 2005, 02:01 PM
As long as it is not cracking open to cause wounds and doesn't bother him you probably don't need to do anything special unless it becomes a problem. Some dogs noses will dry out during particular times of the year. Seeing as he probably licks it constantly if you put a product on it, it will need to be safe to injest as well as not clog pores.

raingirl
August 14th, 2005, 02:03 PM
That's true. I think his nose is dry most of the time because he licks it a lot (I guess because he has a short face and food always gets on his nose).

Vitamin E oil would be safe if it's from one of my gel capsules that I break open right?

BoxerRescueMTL
August 14th, 2005, 02:14 PM
I don't know if vit e oil is safe to ingest (can't see why not but I don't know for sure so I won't say so). I know that emu oil is safe to ingest.

StaceyB
August 14th, 2005, 02:16 PM
I would just place a call to the vet. They will give you an answer w/o having to take him in. This way you know for sure. The emu oil should be because it is an animal product.

raingirl
August 14th, 2005, 03:37 PM
The Vitamin E capsules I have are for ingestion, so I know it's safe (I take them with my multi-vitamin. It's vitamin E oil in a gel capsule).

I would call my vet but they are horrible at getting back. Usually takes them 5 days.

StaceyB
August 14th, 2005, 03:53 PM
It may be safe for you to swallow but not the dog.

raingirl
August 14th, 2005, 04:28 PM
But Vitamin E oil is in dog food (that's what Mixed Tocopherols are).

StaceyB
August 14th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Yes but you don't know the % that is safe. It may be completely safe to injest or it may not. Best before giving anything to check with vet first.

www.marvistavet.com