Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog in pain

dplizzymom4
August 13th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Hello,
Can anyone advise me. My dog has a cut on her tail which I think she got from the groomer. I have taken her 3 times to the vet and nothing is really helping. I can't afford to take her agian. The 1st week the vet put a bandage on and a e collar and it seemed to heal. 2nd week the vet took the e-collar off and she was fine for a day and then attacked her tail agian and started bleeding. The vet put another ecollar on a bigger one so she can't get to it, said to give her benedraly every 8 hours and put cortizone on the wound and leave it open. Now I think it is infected because she is crying everytime she moves and sits on her tail. I feel so bad for her and I tried calling the vet but he is not there until tom morn. Does anyone know what to do? Help me please.
Debbie

StaceyB
August 13th, 2005, 06:23 PM
A wound gets itchy as it heals so they tend to scratch or chew at it. I would wash it with an antibacterial soap, dry area, apply cortizone cream and wrap it with vet wrap. Put the e-collar back on so she can't get to it. It is in a friction area so it is very easy for the area to get dirty as well as being rubbed raw in some cases. The benedryl may help with the itching.

justncase
August 13th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Try applying Vitamin E thickly to the cut on the tail and leaving the tail not wrapped. Vitamin E is very very healing and will relieve itching as well.