Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A Scarey Day..

Karin
August 13th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Today was the last day of my sister Marys and b-i-l Dennises vacation in Marathon, Florida keyes. (We grew up there) They invited my nephew, Jimmy, down for the last two days for some deep sea fishing.

Before dawn my sister was loading the car, getting ready for the 8 hour trip home..they all planned on hitting the pool once the sun came up and "just hang out " until check-out time. Dennis & Jimmy headed to the pool first in the dark, after a while Jimmy thought he should check on the progress my sister was making and try to hurry things along, he returned to the pool 30 minutes later to find my bil on the bottom of the deep end of the pool. He pulled his dad out and started cpr, Dennis wasn't breathing nor was there a pulse. Jimmy did get his heart beating again then screamed for help. My sister called 911 but by the time the emts arrived Dennises heart had stopped again. He was rushed to Fishermans hospital on the island and then airlifted to Jackson Memorial in Miami. My sister & nephew had to drive the 3 hours to Miami...I was on the phone with my sister when a nurse finally allowed her in. Dennis had to be resusitated 3 times and the doctors said if Jimmy had not known cpr he would have never had made it the first time. The reason he ended up on the bottom is a mystery still, there is no head trauma, no evidence of cardiac arrest. His blood O2 is very low of course. Dennis did have back surgery last year and had just taken a low dose of his meds prior to going to the pool.
He is alive and doing well now, although he is confused at how he was in the keyes one minute & Miami the next.
My nephew Jimmy is freakin' out doing the "what ifs"..he said he should have never have left his dad alone. Dennis is only 52. My nephew may not see it right now but he is a hero, he saved his dads life. Btw, Jimmy is 28 years old and only 5'2", his growth was stunted due to a childhood illness and his dad is 6'2". My sister could not have pulled him out of the pool herself yet Jimmy did it alone.
Hug your loved ones real close, you never know.

Just thought I would share.

BMDLuver
August 13th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Gosh Karin, that's amazing what Jimmy did. Your BIL is very lucky. It's wonderful that everything turned out so well.

melanie
August 13th, 2005, 05:17 PM
how lucky is that, what a wonderful nephew you have, he is definalty someone to be very proud of, hes a hero. hope BIl is pulling through all well, and is on the mend, :grouphug:

gdamadg
August 13th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Woah, I am soo glad that Dennis is well. And yes Jimmy is a hero. But most hero's never admit that they are.

doggy lover
August 13th, 2005, 07:32 PM
It is always good to have cpr training, great job Jimmy, your a hero. :grouphug:

Karin
August 13th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Just talked with my sister again, her sleep bucket is empty and the stress is high still. She is camped at the hospital trauma unit still, they have yet to move Dennis to a room. Many test results are starting to trickle in, some make sense, others are baffling. A small embolism was found in his right lung which is not uncommon after "drowning" and the lungs fill with water but there is also one in his brain, a ct was done this afternoon and found a weakness in the artery where this clot was found, he is leaking minute blood in his brain. Aneurysm is what is suspect right now. I see a road trip in my near future.

He's in the right place, there are no surgeons in the bottom of a pool.

I had my mother call my cousin Donna this morning, she lives 20 minutes from Jackson, my mom was not thinking when she called me...I had to jar her memory. Donna & my sis were best friends way back before we grew up but not since. Jimmy & Mary are going to stay at her house, Donna has been there since she got the call. (Everybody has a cousin in Miami) ...before the last call it looked like he would be released in a few days but that is not the case now. He has not been told as of my last call, he is acting like nothing happened except for some time warp that transported him point A to point B and no recollection of the 6 + hours lost. He was dosed with ativan heavily when he started to come around because of the ventilator.

Cyberkitten? Input please? I know this is not your field but you had to go through it to get where you are...what are his chances?

doggy lover
August 13th, 2005, 08:26 PM
I'll keep my :fingerscr for Dennis and say a little prayer.

AliSam
August 13th, 2005, 11:08 PM
My goodness Karin that is scary. Your nephew is definitely a hero. My fingers are crossed for him and my best wishes go out to you and the rest of the family.

chico2
August 14th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Karin,that is definetly scary..if your BIL has an aneurysm in his brain,it certainly is dangerous,but like you say CK could probably give more info..
Good luck to Dennis and Jimmy is certainly a HERO!

Prin
August 14th, 2005, 01:04 PM
That's pretty scary, Karin. I hope Dennis make it through this and Jimmy gets the credit he deserves. :fingerscr

CyberKitten
August 14th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Wow Karin!! That is scary indeed!! If the an aneurysm (in his brain I mean) is small and has not ruptured - his chances are excellent. Size is very important in predicting outcomes which is never - as you know - an exact science. There are four grades for neurological aneurysms - and the prognosis again is determined by level of consciousness and what neurologic deficits were found when he was 1st seen at the hospital. (It's hard to judge at poolside, in the same vein of there being no surgeons there). one might (emphasis on the might) conclude he passed out in the pool - he may have a higher grade level - and thus a lower chance of survival of he'd say gone to an ER complaining of a headache or sore neck.

The timing of surgery is also very important and since he got medical help so fast, I think he has a good chance of survival - tho I admittedly do not know his vitals. Thank God somoone knew cpr!! I would say the fact he survived surgery and s stable is also an excellent sign! I say this bec The most common cause of poor outcomes is surgical complications. He may have had a headache before he went swimming or since hge'd been ill, may have just shrugged off whatever discomfort he felt. His overall health also is important.

I hope this helps. It's hard to tell you his chances qwithout knowing his whole history and aneurysms are one condition - rather like hypertension - that can occur even if someone does not realize it.

I imagine if they have IDed another one, he is facing more surgery in his future. Hopefully, he will be just fine!!

Karin
August 15th, 2005, 05:27 AM
Wow Karin!! That is scary indeed!! If the an aneurysm (in his brain I mean) is small and has not ruptured - his chances are excellent. Size is very important in predicting outcomes which is never - as you know - an exact science. There are four grades for neurological aneurysms - and the prognosis again is determined by level of consciousness and what neurologic deficits were found when he was 1st seen at the hospital. (It's hard to judge at poolside, in the same vein of there being no surgeons there). one might (emphasis on the might) conclude he passed out in the pool - he may have a higher grade level - and thus a lower chance of survival of he'd say gone to an ER complaining of a headache or sore neck.

The timing of surgery is also very important and since he got medical help so fast, I think he has a good chance of survival - tho I admittedly do not know his vitals. Thank God somoone knew cpr!! I would say the fact he survived surgery and s stable is also an excellent sign! I say this bec The most common cause of poor outcomes is surgical complications. He may have had a headache before he went swimming or since hge'd been ill, may have just shrugged off whatever discomfort he felt. His overall health also is important.

I hope this helps. It's hard to tell you his chances qwithout knowing his whole history and aneurysms are one condition - rather like hypertension - that can occur even if someone does not realize it.

I imagine if they have IDed another one, he is facing more surgery in his future. Hopefully, he will be just fine!!

Dennis has not had any surgery yet...a neurologist and surgeon are evaluating him again this morning.
Yesterday was a very long and bad day for everyone. Dennis has spiked a fever which was expected. Pneumonia is also expected since his lungs were filled with chlorine water. Now another fear has come about. No one knows how long he was deprived of oxygen, some signs of brain damage are cropping up. My sister is a mess. My nephew has fallen apart, the hospital social services is going to have someone talk with Jimmy. Dennis does not recognize or seem to know who Jimmy is and barely responds to my sister too.
Today Mary is going to find out if he can be moved closer to home. They live in Port Orange near Daytona. Miami is almost 300 mile away. A friend of mine runs a charter outfit out of Ft. Lauderdale and has a fully equipped air ambulance service too. She's ready to go if my sister gets the green light today. Right now Dennis is breathing on his own but they may put him back on a ventilator to give his lungs a break....he is being kept sedated at this point anyway...
I'll post again tonight with an update if I'm here. My boss has cleared for me to head to Miami if we can't bring Dennis home. My friend and co-worker Carol will take care of Ciara.

badger
August 15th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Our thoughts are with you. Brains take a long time to recover; his lack of recognition is likely not permanent (my sister is a neuropsychologist and works in rehab), so don't despair. Don't forget he's on heavy meds which can also cause confusion. I hope you get some good news from the doctors today.

chico2
August 15th, 2005, 06:20 AM
Aw Karin,how sad for your family :sad: after your nephews heroic rescue to have to face this kind of outcome.
I am hoping for all the best for Dennis and his family,I know they have one very strong family-member,you, as support :love:

kandy
August 15th, 2005, 11:54 AM
My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family. I hope that his confusion is a temporary condition and that everything turns out fine. :fingerscr :grouphug: :fingerscr

CyberKitten
August 15th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Oh dear!! Karin, for some reason I thought he had emerg surgery in the hospital once he was rescued. I have to admit the situation does not sound good, given everything that has occured!! I wonder if he had symotms prior to swimming or given that he was already ill, maybe he just shrugged them off.

I will keep him and your family in my thoughts! Taje care!!! :grouphug:

Copper'sMom
August 15th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Hoping the best for you and your family Karin. :fingerscr :grouphug: No matter the outcome, Jimmy is still a hero.

BMDLuver
August 15th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Hoping and praying that all turns out well Karin!

Karin
August 15th, 2005, 06:50 PM
WOOOHOOO! I couldn't wait to log on with this report! He is doing much better as I type..I actually got to talk to him for just a second 15 minutes ago! He knew who he was talking to also! He is more alert and moving around, slowly....He had a battery of tests run today, his medical team checked him out a**hole to appetite...still no word yet, the doctors are going to fill my family in on everything in the morning. They will not release him to another hospital closer to home for good reasons and it does make sense, prescious time can be lost with a new team starting mid-way. They can care less for the comfort of the family, Dennis is the priority here. When they feel he can be moved and the doctors on this end are up to speed with whats happening, then and only then will they agree to move him.
He is known as the "Miracle Man" on every floor at Jackson Memorial Hospital, my sister overheard some nurses talking about him in the lobby today. Kids drown in icey waters and are revived but a grown man after 30 minutes in tropical conditions is unheard of! Expecially after the reasons that could have brought him to the bottom of that pool...we'll know more tommorrow...
Oh, he's still running a good fever, thats expected, he's on oxygen but his lungs are getting stronger so no need for a ventilator yet. He was put on a medication today to bring his blood pressure way down, has to do with his brain. No more sedation (unless he wants it) and he bitched about the hospital food at lunch! *YEAH*
It was sooo good to hear his New York Bronx accent again!
Thanks everybody..your thoughts and prayers do work magic! I will keep you updated...

Freyja
August 15th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Good to hear!! My prayers are with you and your family Karin. :grouphug:

CyberKitten
August 15th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Hey, what wonderful news Karin!!! Your family must feel very hopeful now> He is indeed a miracle man - and yep, you are rihght about kids. We occasionally see small toddlers who survive frigid temps underwater and survive with virtually no medical problems at all. But is unheard of in someone your bil's age. Gosh, he must have had a Guardian Angel with him that day!!! I'll keep thinking good thoughts!!

Karin
August 15th, 2005, 07:47 PM
I am so overtired and relieved I'm am to giddy for words...my mother just called me on my cell, she was screaming "I JUST TALKEDTO DENNIS!"...I said I know ma, isn't it great? I talked to him a little while ago too....now she's sorta jealous, I talked to him first....we did laugh about that tho...

It's a happy day and I'm doin' the Snoopy dance! Wooohoooo!

I am on a postin' frenzy....I need to stop, I am not making sense to myself now...I'm soo tired!

Karin
August 17th, 2005, 08:09 PM
I try to use the computer time as a relaxing time out for myself but it doesn't always work out that way. What a storm going on here!

Oh well! I am happy to report Dennis is in Halifax at Daytona. He was moved yesterday and is doing better than the nurses in charge. I knew the move was going on but was drained and my sister & nephew had to drive the distance with the cars. They did not get home until 9:30pm last night. Jimmy went to work today too.
When I got to the hospital Dennis was "down stairs", their way of saying in diagnostics. He looks good, thin but good.
The aneursym is a matter of great attention but also how to approach and fix...he is on more medications than I have a vocabulary for...I can gather that this may not be operatable..surgery may not be an option.
Dennis is still complaining which is a good thing.
I can't go back until next Tuesday but I'm thinking he may go home until the team has a plan in mind. I never thought one could be "shrunk" with medication but that is what thay are implying.

Anything is better than 5 days ago.

happycats
August 17th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Oh Karin, I hope for the best for Dennis, and Jimmy is a hero!

My very close friend had an aneurysm (in the centre of her brain) SHe passsed out in bed, and her dog saved her life (started freaking out and barking, until her husband woke)
She was operatied on and only had a 10% chance of surviving the operation. They said even if she did, she would probably never "function" normaly again.
That was in February of this year. and she is doing amazing!!! the only problem she has is being tired all the time, but the doctor said thats to be expected after major brain surgery.

My thoughs are with you and your family for a speedy recovery for Dennis!

BMDLuver
August 18th, 2005, 06:58 AM
That's wonderful news Karin! Keeping positive thoughts going for a full recovery!