Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sense-ation harness

BoxerRescueMTL
August 13th, 2005, 03:40 PM
I'm just wondering if any of you guys have tried the Sense-ation harness? I just got one for Vegas because he thinks he needs to randomely pull towards and jump on people when we are out walking. I find it really amazing. It actually seems to have a caliming effect on him. It looks like this http://www.softouchconcepts.com/ I have tried a halti/gentle leader but Vegas hates it and I don't like how it looks. This is a great *gentle* training tool and it takes pressure off his neck.

Freyja
August 13th, 2005, 06:40 PM
OMG!! I cannot believe that I came home and saw this post. When I was at the Cochrane Humane Society this afternoon (great organization BTW www.cochranehumane.com), they mentioned the Sensation Harness. I would love to have someone's opinion on it. I am just about at the end of my rope or leash as the case may be with Lindy. I have Tenderfoots DVD's we have been working on this whole "Stay close, Heel, walk nice"thing for far too long. I find it so frustrating that I do not want to walk her anymore. And I LOVE to walk myself.

tenderfoot
August 13th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Before you give up on training and go to a harness - try turning into your dog more frequently during your walk. Do not take one step forward if she is ahead of you. Turn abruptly into her and make her get out of your way (she needs to pivot on her hind quarters) - it works like charm if done correctly. She will have to hang just behind your knee because she never knows when mom is going to suddenly change direction. It might be that you are changing directions every few steps until she gets the hang of it. We even had a woman last week who had one bum leg and no balance, and she was able to transform her dogs bad pulling in minutes. If you have been trying the 'close' etc for so long and you feel that's your not getting ahead then you need to be more abrupt in your actions. Practice in the house, then just outside, and then as you earn it go further and further to distraction levels.

Freyja
August 13th, 2005, 07:39 PM
I have, I have I really have, we go around and around in circles, me purring "good stay close" "Nice", her wagging her tail. Oh how many times dog are we gonna have to do this!?!?!?!? We have been doing it inside, in the back yard. I think that part of the problem is that the first time we were taught about heel, I was taught to go in the opposite direction as soon as she was ahead of me, so we did that and I think that Lindy now thinks that if I turn around that just means she walks quickly around me(she does that very very well) but has not connected this to why we turned around in the first place ie: you are ahead of me. She will walk beside me if we are headed for home but as soon as we are walking away from home she creeps out in front until the leash is taut. It is way worse when we are at the park because she doesn't have a sidewalk to keep her in one direction. She is off to the side, nose on the ground, pulling. I have made sure that there is not too much leash or too little leash. We have gone to the park and worked on the long leash, one, two, three steps, "stay close" this works, she comes back to me, wagging her tail, me purring to her, but we can't seem to progress to nice walks. I am stumped!

tenderfoot
August 13th, 2005, 10:21 PM
I hope talking to Doug helped. Anytime you are stumped please don't hesitate to call. We are on the phone a lot - helping people all over the country so don't be shy.
Please let us know how things are going - you should be seeing changes fairly quickly. Remember it's about the big picture not just about heeling.

LL1
August 13th, 2005, 11:58 PM
A friend of mine bought one recently and is thrilled with the way she is able to handle the dog now,yes a training tool that she soon hopes to not need,same as haltis,chokes,prongs,pinches,gentle leaders and martingales et al.All of them (many I would never use but that is beside the point) should help you on your way to a well behaved dog on a flat collar.Any trainer telling you otherwise is not worth the fee.